• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength side?

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength XI?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • He would be 12th man for the Tasmanian 3rd XI.

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very good post, this has answered my question why Pakistani bowlers have inswing/off cutter as their stock ball. Whenever I watched Pakistan play in Australia I always thought the reason why their bowlers struggled because nobody knew how to bowl good outswingers to right handed batsmen, and your post perfectly explains that.
Conditions in the Pakistani team have encouraged bowlers to attack the stumps and go for bowled/lbw because traditionally Pakistani players have an allergic reaction to fielding well.

The current mob is much improved on the guys in the 90s though.

One reason Pakistan have traditionally don't very poorly in Australia is their terrible fielding. More than anywhere else in the world, Australian conditions require you to take your catches. Bouncy roads are more difficult to get lbw/bowled on than virtually any other pitch type and so catches are your primary method of dismissal.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As always completely off the point.
As always :laugh: thanks for following my post history so closely.

Hey, I'm a cricket nerd like the rest of us. But I just can't see the sense in a thread about an ATG with 530 poles and a career still going 15 years strong and fit and whether he'd walk into another international side. He's in the top 5 swing bowlers of all time, maybe top 3. So yeah.

cnerd123

likes this

Hey, I'm a cricket nerd like the rest of us. But I just can't see the sense in a thread about an ATG with 530 poles and a career still going 15 years strong and fit and whether he'd walk into another international side. He's in the top 5 swing bowlers of all time, maybe top 3. So yeah.
I think I already quite clearly explained why Jimmy would be a nobody if he was Indian

Motorwada

Banned

While he's a good bowler I disagree with the fact that he's an ATG. Cook, Anderson and Broad's records are all longevity records due to the number of matches they play. Very good players but not ATGs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
While he's a good bowler I disagree with the fact that he's an ATG. Cook, Anderson and Broad's records are all longevity records due to the number of matches they play. Very good players but not ATGs.
Anderson has taken 375 wickets this decade at 24 a piece.

Were that his career record, it would definitely put him in the discussion.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson has taken 375 wickets this decade at 24 a piece.

Were that his career record, it would definitely put him in the discussion.
If you could take out the worst part of their careers then a lot more players would be in the discussion

ImpatientLime

International Regular
In Anderson's case most certainly, his longevity is part of what makes him a legit great. It is utterly invaluable for a fast bowler to be fit as often as he is.

That's why the Zaheer v Anderson arguments back in the day were such a joke imo.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is Anderson's home/away breakup over his best career period (too lazy to Statsguru it, sorry)?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
True, the career record and the decade record keep converging though.
Yeah, it doesn’t seem that long ago when he still averaged 31 or whatever, and people like us would have to explain to stats only goons that a good way to measure who Anderson was as a Test bowler was to start from NZ away in 08 onwards

His career record is excellent anyway, but as a body of work over ten years that period is phenomenal.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He takes the new ball with Trueman in an England AT XI at home (and possibly even away).