• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would a combined India/Pakistan have dominated cricket?

Would a combined India/Pakistan team have dominated cricket?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Strong contender to be the top team but not dominated

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A combined team over the past few decades'd be something.

I can't be ****ed seeing who would've actually played together.

Anwar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Younis
Miandad
Dhoni
Imran
Wasim
Kumble
Waqar

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously the

Anwar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Younis
Miandad
Dhoni
Imran
Wasim
Kumble
Waqar
Combined Anzac XI would be still beat them:
Hayden
Langer
Williamson
Ponting
Smith
Border
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Warne
Bond/Cummins
McGrath

Or open with Williamson instead of Langer and include one of Crowe, S Waugh, or Clarke.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. Warne against that batting side will be much much worse than Kumble in conditions where the spinner has to win the game. And Ws + Imran > Hadlee, McGrath, Bond/Cummins.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Well, since my time of watching cricket (2000 onwards or so)-

In T20s no would touch a combined indo-pak team.

We'd dominate in tests and ODIs too but not to the same extent.
Yea in tests I'm probably thinking especially since Dravid/Ganguly came onto the scene (and Azhar was still around too, although match fixing etc).

Obviously the

Combined Anzac XI would be still beat them:
Hayden
Langer
Williamson
Ponting
Smith
Border
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Warne
Bond/Cummins
McGrath

Or open with Williamson instead of Langer and include one of Crowe, S Waugh, or Clarke.
Not sure about that. It's pretty even, I reckon without Bradman.

What would the second XIs for each look like?

Reckon that's where Aus/NZ definitely takes it because the bowling unit for the India/Pak second XI is considerably weaker. Batting is, at best, even, but I reckon Aus/NZ shades that too.

Edit: Giving the Second XI a crack. Assuming Gavaskar gets into the first starting XI

Anwar/Sehwag
Gambhir
Pujara (could Abbas play #3? I don't know much about him)
Inzaman
Kohli (argument to say he should be in the first XI but I guess no one can do the Dravid role better, so it would mean kicking out Younis - is Kohli better than Younis yet? Not sure he could bat as low as Miandad)
Laxman
Struggling for keeper - Moin Khan? Rashid Latif?
Dev
Jadeja (ridiculous home record, and can bat a bit - it's a weaker XI than the Aus/NZ one so could do with all the batting help...)
Bumrah/Shami/Zaheer/Srinath - really struggling here, probably narrow it down to Srinath or Shami until Bumrah can take over (Would have been Mohammed Asif if he wasn't an idiot)
Akhtar

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular

Anwar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Younis
Miandad
Dhoni
Imran
Wasim
Kumble
Waqar
How far back are we going? If Imran is there surely Gavaskar opens?

srbhkshk

International Captain
Also even though Sreesanth craps all over this theory but I still think that Asif and Amir would not have strayed the way they did in a dressing room comprising Sachin and Dravid compared to the Pakistani one. Might be another factor.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Probably not dominated in the way that WI and Aus did during their respective reigns, for all the reasons already provided. But maybe at the top during the early/mid 1990s when Aus were on the way to what they later became and WI were on the way down from what they had been. And maybe in the early 2010s. You'd figure that India plus the best Pakistanis wouldn't have gone down 4-0 in England, especially if Asif and Amir hadn't got themselves banned. Lots of ifs there, I know.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh, we've had plenty of corrupt ones like Azhar (though apparently he was exonerated by the AP High Court?). Butt was the captain and him being involved makes it pretty likely that the younger ones like Amir can get roped in.

In terms of results, I don't actually think it would have changed much w.r.t Australia in Tests, we usually beat them at home and lose away. SA would be a struggle as well regardless. We'd likely have done better in NZ and England. Don't think we'd have added any World Cups to our tally either with a combined side, Australia would have still steamrolled us.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Meh, we've had plenty of corrupt ones like Azhar (though apparently he was exonerated by the AP High Court?). Butt was the captain and him being involved makes it pretty likely that the younger ones like Amir can get roped in.

In terms of results, I don't actually think it would have changed much w.r.t Australia in Tests, we usually beat them at home and lose away. SA would be a struggle as well regardless. We'd likely have done better in NZ and England. Don't think we'd have added any World Cups to our tally either with a combined side, Australia would have still steamrolled us.
2003? It was an incredible Australian line up, but facing Akhtar/Wasim/Waqar is very different to facing Zaheer Khan and I forgot who the hell else we had. That's probably the only one where at least we (as a combined unit) would have given ourselves a chance rather than already having a huge mountain to climb in our batting innings.

vcs

They were well past it by then, think Symonds took them apart earlier in a group match? No one was beating Australia that tournament and in 2007. Might have been a closer scoreline though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Another interesting period would have been the mid-1970s, where India may have stayed at number 1 for longer if they had the best Pakistani players. WI would have probably steamrollered them anyway by the late 1970s, but Pakistan usually gave them a decent contest even then. And Pakistan did draw a series in Australia in 1977, with Imran emerging as a match winner for, I think, the first time.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
They were well past it by then, think Symonds took them apart earlier in a group match? No one was beating Australia that tournament and in 2007. Might have been a closer scoreline though.
We (NZ) should've beaten them in 2003 after Bond took 6-fer and Aus were 84/7 but then Bevan and Bichel got them to 200 and we collapsed against Brett Lee. Unfortunately we forfeited a game in Kenya for security reasons and that NZ side then missed the semis.

vcs

Yeah, England came close too and Sri Lanka had them in some trouble at times in the semifinal. Still they responded like champions whenever they were pushed.

kingkallis

International Coach
Sunil Gavaskar
Saeed Anwar
Virat Kohli
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Imran Khan (c)
MS Dhoni +
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Anil Kumble
Waqar Younis

This team would arguably do well in most of the conditions.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
These combined XI's are all very well, but someone who enjoys doing such things needs to go back to a specific year when the Windies or Australia were at the peak and pick a combined XI that could actually have taken the field and competed with them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In 1999, both India and Pakistan toured Australia and were walloped. But that might be a good year to see how a combined XI would have gone against that Aussie side which was just starting out as the dominant outfit in the world.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would a combined 1959 India and 1962 Pakistan team have still been utterly annihilated in England? I reckon so.

Shady Slim

International Coach
the flipside of this question is naturally centred on an independent kashmiri state, let's say it's a cricket country; how would they go and how would they affect the india and pakistan lineups?