• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst winning performance you have seen

tony p

First Class Debutant
back in 1984, john abrahams captained LANCASHIRE to victory over warwickshire to win the BENSON & HEDGES CUP final at lords.

despite the fact he didn't bowl, made a duck and took a catch, PETER MAY, gave him man of the match.

WARW. 139, kallicharran 70, allott 3-15, jeffries 3-28

LANC 4-140, fairbrother 36*, hughes 35*, ABRAHAMS 0.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Could be. Captaincy based MOTM decisions are not new. Although I am not sure if that was the case in this particular match.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It was for his leadership, as Peter May said in his speech. It was quite funny though. I don't know if the footage is around anywhere, but when the award was made Abrahams can be seen saying "Me?" and looking at his team mates with a slightly surprised expression.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I dunno if it qualifies as "worst", but one of the most inconsequential performances in a winning cause must be Adil Rashid in last year's Lords test v India. Scorecard.

England won by an innings and plenty, and he wasn't called on to bat or bowl and took no catches either, just for good (or "meh") measure.
Arguably his best ever Test performance.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Tim May played in the first 3 Tests of the 1994/95 Ashes (during which Oz retained the urn) and took 1 wicket for 219 off 101 overs.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Bob Willis once won a man of the match for his captaincy in 1983 WC vs SL. Not saying it was the worst performance or something, just an FYI

sunilz

International Regular
Entire Indian bowling attack except Harbhajan in 2001 Border Gavaskar trophy

2nd highest wicket takers from Indian side in that series were Zaheer and Tendulkar with 3 wkts each @63 and 50 respectively.