• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Umpiring decision

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Does anything come to mind which was worse than Steve Bucknor giving Sachin out LBW even when the ball hit him on his hand and was clearly going over the top of stumps?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
In the First Test of the 70/71 Ashes series Keith Stackpole should have been run out for 18 as Geoff Boycott threw down the wicket at the bowler's end, but the batsman was given the benefit of the doubt by Lou Rowan . The Australian papers carried photographs the next day showing that he was clearly out by "over a yard" (as reported) and labelled the decision "one of the worst in cricket history". It probably cost England victory as Stackpole took advantage of his escape to pile up 207 – his highest Test score – in Australia's 433.
Following the Stackpole incident in 1970/71 no less than 19 LBW were given against England batsman but not a single LBW against Australia.
This was one of the strongest cases for neutral umpires.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was that the Adelaide oval one when he ducked a ball from McGrath? That wasn't even a bad decision, at worst it was close. There would multiple lbws missing by way more nearly every game.

Worst I remember live was Swann to Khawaja 2013 Ashes, given out caught behind despite missing it by a foot. What made it especially bad was it was reviewed and the 3rd umpire still gave it out despite replays showing it clearly nowhere near the bat

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Does anything come to mind which was worse than Steve Bucknor giving Sachin out LBW even when the ball hit him on his hand and was clearly going over the top of stumps?
The 1992 WC when an umpire gave a batsman run out even when 3rd umpire was available, think it was some team against Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
Was that the Adelaide oval one when he ducked a ball from McGrath? That wasn't even a bad decision, at worst it was close. There would multiple lbws missing by way more nearly every game.

Worst I remember live was Swann to Khawaja 2013 Ashes, given out caught behind despite missing it by a foot. What made it especially bad was it was reviewed and the 3rd umpire still gave it out despite replays showing it clearly nowhere near the bat
Yeah this one is clearly, clearly the worst one I've ever seen by a long margin simply because the third umpire got to have a second, detailed look with lots of camera angles, so you don't get the "in the moment brain snap" excuse you can use for that Flintoff one for example.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The 1992 WC when an umpire gave a batsman run out even when 3rd umpire was available, think it was some team against Australia.
Speaking of which WC, how about Geoff Marsh not given caught behind off Donald's first ball in the Aus vs SA game? Everyone present at the SCG - on the pitch, in the stands, hanging upside down from the rafters - could see the deflection. Except the Kiwi umpire of course.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
No 3rd umpires in 1992 CWC.
Google says Nov 1992 was first introduced, which fits roughly with my memory.

Burgey

Gilchrist given lbw as the middle wicket (iirc) in Harbhajan's hat trick in 2001 was diabolical. Completely to be expected, but diabolical nonetheless. Pitched about 8 inches outside leg stump and he hit it. That aside, was a quality decision.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was just watching this one earlier today:

Truly appalling decision. No third umpire though - all the more reason not to give it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I remember they introduced 3rd umpires in 1991 in the Ind-SA series but I guess it was not trialled enough for a WC by then. Still, terribad decision.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah this one is clearly, clearly the worst one I've ever seen by a long margin simply because the third umpire got to have a second, detailed look with lots of camera angles, so you don't get the "in the moment brain snap" excuse you can use for that Flintoff one for example.
Yeah, the Flintoff one is probably the worst on-field call I've seen but the Khawaja one stands out as an embarrassing combination of a bad on-field decision and inept third umpiring.

The infamous 'mark on the bat that could have come from anywhere' one is worse from the 3rd umpire though. If you're just going to choose to ignore massive hotspots then why are you even there? IIRC they checked for LBW having decided Lyon hadn't hit it but checked the wrong delivery or something.

There was that one with Rahane too when we toured earlier in the year, the ball took his glove on it's way past him after hitting his pad or something but the 3rd umpire just seemed to refuse to check that part of the replay.

@honestbharani There's one I've seen where Gilchrist is given run out by the 3rd umpire despite having made his ground (and the stumps not being legally broken either, I think!), is that the one you're thinking of?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There’s way too many horrendous decisions over the years to pick out one. Obviously it’s worse when there’s technology involved. For instance Robin Smith being given Run Out in the 96 WC QF by the third umpire pressing the wrong button.

OverratedSanity

Moin's 'catch' off Ganguly in the chennai 1999 test was pretty hilarious. Moin brags in the below video that it bounced thrice before he caught it, which is a bit of an exaggeration, it was just twice. You can kind of see why the umpire thought it was out at first glance but the real crime is not referring it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There's one I've seen where Gilchrist is given run out by the 3rd umpire despite having made his ground (and the stumps not being legally broken either, I think!), is that the one you're thinking of?
This is what I thought of, but like in the OP if you search for 'worst decision' all you get is average decisions uploaded by people who are mad their team lost

vcs

This mushtaq ball probably would've missed another full set of stumps easily. Some peak chappelli bull**** on commentary too

He's so stupid on this "no sympathy with batsmen who don't play a shot". Erm, the reason he left it was it wasn't hitting the stumps.

He'd probably do cartwheels to defend Kohli every time he gets out snicking one because he can't watch five balls go past him outside the off stump.