• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular bowler for a top side

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sami had multiple issues but the main ones which I can suggest right now

1. He was Akmal'ed. Sami and Kaneria suffered the most in his hands people talk about Amir's wretched luck with drop catches Sami was not far behind I rarely remember an innings where there was not a drop catch off Sami mostly Akmal was the culprit.

2.He had confidence issues his head dropped quickly he would bowl some real garbage immediately when there would be a dropped catch

3.His stamina was ****e and that you can expect from a guy who smoked 50-100 cigs a day. His spells would get worse and worse as the innings extended as some one has pointed above he has high proportion of top order wickets then many bowlers I think that is one off the main reason

4.He could not bowl dry. If he was not getting anything out of the conditions he would take a beating like none seen he just did not know the art of keeping it quite when conditions were batting friendly.

just my two or four cents on Sami.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some days he could be super quick but most days, was, say, high 130s/low 140s and still bowled like a guy pushing 150+. So, worrying less about consistency or movement but at Glenn McGrath's pace, fatal for a bloke who wasn't a big mover of the ball anyway and wasn't tall. Rightly got pumped.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Daren Powell for mine. Never at any stage looked even close to a Test standard bowler and yet somehow managed to play 37 Tests. At least Sami showed early promise and had the occasional high point.
I'm not sure about that. I watched Powell on an A tour of England and in his first test in India he got Sachin out with some excellent bowling. In theory he got a little bit of shape and bowled 85-92mph. So I understand why they gave him a bit of a run.

However, 37 tests was a bit much as he just could not bowl a decent line and length, a pre-requisite for a test bowler. I do agree that he belongs in this list for sure. His career taught me quite a lot actually in that it takes more than a bit of pace and movement to be a successful test bowler. If you don;t have a good cricket brain you're unlikely to succeed.