• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular bowler for a top side

Mr Miyagi

Banned
As promised; same as the batting thread, avoid the minnows.

Post your nominees for the worst pie chuckers of recent times who just kept on getting selected.

You can go retrospective - but extra points for recency. Poll to come after nominees discussed.

Mark Wood has to be a recent contender. With a healthy +40 average.

Rahat Ali has broken the 40 barrier, but only just.

Mark Craig from NZ may get a mention too (or Matt Henry - but he is on the improve).

Surprisingly to many, "unlucky" Ishant Sharma may not make the shortlist. His numbers are actually not the worst, but it is a very very long career at +35 for him.

Lakmal?

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Pre 2015 Ishant Sharma fits this bill nicely.

Mohammad Sami had a weirdly high average

Darren Powell played a lot of games

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Post return Amir isn't bowling all that badly imo. Pakistan aren't making catches off him.

Sami is a good shout. Cummins is getting better. Gamage I know nothing about :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pews' boy Sami wins.

Ishant was a lock to win the longevity argument but he's actually not that bad anymore.

Bolo

State Captain
RSA spinners and Lankan seamers are the ones who seem to get decent runs despite averaging above 40 with the ball.

Today, I'm nominating boje.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
While his numbers are fairly respectable (compared to Salisbury anyway), Aaqib Javed looks pretty damn ordinary next to Imran, Qadir/Mustaq, Akram and Younis.

Manoj Probhakar needed his batting to play as many games as he did too I think. He was actually pretty good for an allrounder.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Boje did his job very well, its just that his job basically meant being a 40 average bowler with a sub-3 economy rate who also managed to score some runs and take some catches.

I think him and Giles are probably amongst the most limited skill wise to play as a Test regular, but they weren't that bad. Early Ishant was worse.

Sami wasn't that bad too, in terms of raw skills he was actually pretty good. Just couldn't take wickets. I don't understand why.

Burgey

Sami bowled that really good spell in that test in Sydney when Pakistan rolled Australia for **** all then lost anyway (was a bit sus tbh). Remember watching him and wondering why everyone thought he was so ****e.

Darren Powell belongs in this argument too.

morgieb

Boje played a part in SA winning a series in India
Yeah while Boje was pretty average, I still don't think he was worse than Robbie P or even Tahir in Tests. SA spinners barring Maharaj since readmission have been mostly crap, though.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Yeah while Boje was pretty average, I still don't think he was worse than Robbie P or even Tahir in Tests. SA spinners barring Maharaj since readmission have been mostly crap, though.
Maybe so, but I think that Pat Symcox would eat Ben Stokes in a street brawl.