• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

worst fielder ever"

Athlai

Not Terrible
Just so you can edge closer to your 3000 ;)
Been a slow week in all fairness and I will keep you waiting, perhaps till the next ODI. Hopefully Jeeves plays, would be a sweet occasion. Bring up 3000 and basking in the majesty which is Patel, top stuff.

Fiery

Banned
Been a slow week in all fairness and I will keep you waiting, perhaps till the next ODI. Hopefully Jeeves plays, would be a sweet occasion. Bring up 3000 and basking in the majesty which is Patel, top stuff.
How is your brother? :p

jammay123

State 12th Man
Nehra, Munaf, Razzak(Pakistan), M.Vaughan(One of the worst catchers I have ever seen).
definetly. remember in the wc the sitter he dropped against bangladesh which ended up as a run out. calling it dire would be an understatement. nearly worse than montys non-attemp against dhoni last year.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For the statistically Inclined

Joseph Rutnayake has the worst record of all those who took at least one test catch. He caught Dick Ellison off the bowling of DS De'Silva at Lords in his 8th test match. He went on to play 22 in all without ever taking another.

Of players who played 50 test matches or more. Steve Harmison has the worst record of all with just 7 catches in his 54 test matches till date. He once went 13 tests at a trot without taking a catch and 12 on another occasion. He is not much better in odi;s with 8 catches in 46 games.

Courtney Walsh (vying with Chandrashekhar for worst batsman award always) is not much better than the Indian spinner as a fielder. Walsh has just 29 catches in 132 test matches. The worst performance for a cricketer who played over a 100 tests.

Walsh once went 22 test matches without taking a catch. The worst that I can find of all test cricketers.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Not taking catches doesn't automatically make you a bad fielder thought, you didn't get the oppurtunity.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, a catches:drops ratio would be far better, though obviously not always possible to get.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
definetly. remember in the wc the sitter he dropped against bangladesh which ended up as a run out. calling it dire would be an understatement. nearly worse than montys non-attemp against dhoni last year.
Though some of his "attempts" in 2001\02 were even worse.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, a catches:drops ratio would be far better, though obviously not always possible to get.
I was not giving the worst fielder when I gave those stats. Just something for the statistically inclined to chew at.
:)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Corey Collymore, Merv Dillon and Pedro Collins are worth a shout. Marlon Samuels also has a habit of fielding poorly although he's pretty decent.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is a great Indian Fielding side

1. Navjot Siddhu
  2. Deep Dasgupta (keeper)
  3. Saurav Ganguly
  4. Vacancy 1
  5. Vacancy 2
  6. Vacancy 3
  7. Mahajkumar of Vijayanagram (captain)
  8. Ashish Nehra
  9. Romesh Powar
  10. Munaf Patel
  11. Chandrashekhar

Nominations for the three vacancies please :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deepdas Gupta? :huh: Has only ever been spelled Deep Dasgupta where I've seen. Are there two alternative spellings?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

1. Navjot Siddhu
  2. Deepdas Gupta (keeper)
  3. Saurav Ganguly
  4. Vacancy 1
  5. Vacancy 2
  6. Vacancy 3
  8. Ashish Nehra
  9. Romesh Powar
  10. Munaf Patel
  11. Chandrashekhar

There was a chap named Durani who played for India in the 60's/early 70's who had a reputation for not fielding hardly at all unless he was required to bowl. It was a reputation first given to him by Ted Dexter so it might have been dressed up a little. (In those days you could bowl a spell and then leave the field "injured" and there were no rules preventing it or any stipulation saying you couldn't come back and bowl again straight away.)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

1. Navjot Siddhu
  2. Deepdas Gupta (keeper)
  3. Saurav Ganguly
  4. Vacancy 1
  5. Vacancy 2
  6. Vacancy 3
  8. Ashish Nehra
  9. Romesh Powar
  10. Munaf Patel
  11. Chandrashekhar

Wasim Jaffer.