• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Captain?

Anoop

U19 12th Man
I actually though Nasser was good and Saurav was bad.. but very recently they seem to have swapped positions!

Hussain had an ultra dump showing during the last two test matches..

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't really believe there is a bad captain.. Some certainly are
better that others but to captain a national side they are all good.
I don't really believe that steve waugh was a really good captain but he
had so many options with players which made it so much easier for him.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Has to Be Saurav Ganguly

im prepared to challenge anyone opposing me and ready for the flames ..

This captain cant succeed in anything if it wasnt for his team of strong batsmen and under average bowlers ...
I dont think his " brilliant tactics " have been heard of or seen in any of the matches ... except for the few basic ones that even my fellow school team captain does or does it better ..

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
one of steve waugh (i think - could have it wrong) more intelligent comments happens to be about ganguly

"hes a prick basically and thats paying him a complement"

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL............. Yeah.
I have no problem with the Indian team except for Ganguly. He is the biggest problem with cricket at the moment.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
LOL............. Yeah.
I have no problem with the Indian team except for Ganguly. He is the biggest problem with cricket at the moment.
And would you want to elaborate on that, your honour ??

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
This captain cant succeed in anything if it wasnt for his team of strong batsmen and under average bowlers ...
I dont think his " brilliant tactics " have been heard of or seen in any of the matches ... except for the few basic ones that even my fellow school team captain does or does it better ..
This could be said of any Captain I am afraid, capatincy on he field may hold a lot weight, but even a mediocre capatain with a great side can do wonders. I may not agree with what you have to say there, but what do you guyz think of Dravid as the Captain ? Now before you go on about how he is such a defensive player, dont forget that their are countless defensive players who have proved to be very good captains.

He has a good temperament, dependable players usually get better with the burden of captaincy. But again he will lack the insight (as with Ganguly) in the art of fast bowling. But i just have a gut feeling he's now more capable of leading a national side than Ganguly. Just a feeling.

Lord think of it this way, the "Brilliant tactics" is stupid hype. He's a normal old fashioned captain IMO. But there are not many other contenders, he's certainly not very good but he's better than most (and certainly not the worst).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
one of steve waugh (i think - could have it wrong) more intelligent comments happens to be about ganguly

Waugh is a prick too. He was basically miffed with Ganguly because his "mental disintegration" policy which is just a fancy word for sledging and abusing the opposing team, especially their captain, didn't work in India, cos Ganguly gave back as good as he got. Waugh has been a much greater test batsman than Ganguly(in one dayers, Gangs has definitely been better) and he is an aggressive captain, but a lot of his success as captain is due to the ammo he had which would be the envy of all other international captains. Mark Taylor was a much better captain for Australia. Border and then later, Taylor rebuilt the Australian team when it was faring miserably and gave them the confidence to win and Waugh basically inherited that legacy. He is a good captain, but certainly not a great one.

In short, Ganguly is definitely not the best captain in international cricket, but he is not the worst either.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
LOL............. Yeah.
In what way is he a problem for world cricket? :I

By the way, the Indian team should be really relieved to hear that you don't have any problems with the other players. :D

[Edited on 9/18/02 by anilramavarma]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

How come he got away with that after some of the other comments that have been punished?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How come he got away with that after some of the other comments that have been punished?
Steve Waugh is still considered as one of the "elder statesmen" of world cricket. So, they probably took the word "prick" coming out of his mouth to mean "gentleman" or something.... 8D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he did say that he's extremely disrespectful, but I'm not so sure he would say something like that.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
If he did say that he's extremely disrespectful, but I'm not so sure he would say something like that.
duh! And how would you know that?
I had a little bit of respect for him for some time. Then he came up with that Elworthy comment. Someone who can take a stupid notion of 'mental disintegration' to such heights (depths) can say anything.
Yes, he's a good batsman. And that's that.

Ganguly's way better off than Waugh IMO if you are talking about decency. Saurav is brash and blunt. But Waugh is much worse than blunt. He is callous, even nasty (the Steve Elworthy comment for instance), and easily the head-lout in his team (sorry McGrath, no Slater either). He singlehandedly legitimised sledging in cricket.

Since we got here, kudos to Graeme Smith :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I just feel that if he'd really made a comment like that, he'd no longer be in the Test team, let alone Captain.

Simlarly to Warne on the can't bowl comment...

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Well, I've heard many such comments from Waugh, some better vieled than the other.
Consider this one (quoting from memory..) :
"every dog has its day" on an Indian spinner when he got Waugh and showed him the way out. It was supposedly just a commonly used phrase...

Incidentally, the bowler was actually reacting. Waugh needled him earlier when still batting. And then came statements about how people should have respect :D I forget who said that..(I think it was our amiable and humble friend they call Glen)

BTW, Steve Waugh did call Ganguly a prick. This comment was not during the series so I didnt see it but it was widely reported.
You may enjoy (or not..) this article whose theme is “Steve Waugh is a dick ! And that’s a compliment !”
at http://www.cricketnext.com/features/sanjay/sanjay003.htm

I don't have the patience to dig out articles that actually reported the statement. I happened to have this one someplace..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, I've heard many such comments from Waugh, some better vieled than the other.
"every dog has its day" on an Indian spinner when he got Waugh and showed him the way out. It was supposedly just a commonly used phrase...
It is a commonly used phrase over here.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't have the patience to dig out articles that actually reported the statement. I happened to have this one someplace..
Reading that article has actually made me think it was less likely that he said what is alleged. To be honest I hadn't seen any furore about it until today.

It was "in an Interview" - suggests to me that what he said may have been changed to reflect the interviewer's opinion.

Reading the end of that article doesn't make sense to me - claiming that he said it because he was sulking at defeat. For me, I get the impression that Waugh can accept defeat (let's face it, he experienced a lot of it early in his career)

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Marc, I know it's a commonly used phrase. That seemed tongue in cheek to me though. Ofcourse, there's nothing to say that it wasn't just the phrase used.

Why does reading that article make you think Waugh didn't say that? The Aussies were indeed obnoxious in that series with their comments, and Waugh led the pack. The Nagma comment that Gilchrist made (in the article you read) is also verifiable. I'll leave you to make that effort.

Incidentally, Gilchrist did it again in a function in Chennai the Aussies were invited to. He asked to meet Nagma. She hadn't turned up, and he was then talking to her sister, Jyothika (another actress) for quite a while. Clearly Gilli wasn't looking to avoid attention about it either. It hit the morning news.

The writer was making a very valid point.

As for the Waugh comment, I just ran one search in google, and amongst other results came up with this : http://old.smh.com.au/news/0112/29/text/sport6.html

It's an australian site i guess. Scroll down for "top sledges". I don't know how reliable it is.. but anyway, that steve made that comment, is a very well known fact amongst those of us who followed everything about that series keenly. It was reported and criticised in many newspapers. It may be nice to wish it away...

I know many people like believing that Steve Waugh is an angel. I'd just say he's good at getting the press to eat out of his hands. Somehow, at the end of the day, he lost to Saurav on the field, but off it, he managed to get everyone chirping his prickly tune on Ganguly.

Hey, on the sledging that Indians dished out to Steve, you may find this fun:
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2001/may/28ramesh.htm

I did. Especially the part about how the Indians got under Waugh's skin.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I think this was in reference to Balaji Rao(a leggie) who dimissed Waugh in a match between India-A and Australia in Nagpur in 2001.He shouted and pointed at Waugh to get off the field after Waugh was dismissed.And Waugh was surprsied that a new kid like Balaji Rao was shouting at the mighty Steve Waugh.

I am not sure if I have heard that "prick" comment of Steve Waugh about Ganguly, but he has said a lot about Ganguly and so many others like Elworthy et al. that makes Waugh the biggest prick around for sure.

[Edited on 9/18/02 by aussie_beater]