• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Test Championship 2023-25 Points Table

Socerer 01

International Captain
It's a simple solution. Make it every 5 years instead of every 2. That way you can ensure (ideally) every team plays every other team home and away once. And it actually means something if it's less frequent
tbh idk if 5 years would solve the issue of teams not resembling what they were at the start of each iteration but it would at least add more relevance to the tournament

1 off final in a prefixed location is another ****ty thing they could improve on

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the issue of teams not resembling what they were at the start of each iteration
That's a thing that would happen but I just don't see it as an issue. Making the final would be the achievement of 5 years of Test cricket during which time teams will inevitably change but that doesn't change who earned the positions over the time period

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a simple solution. Make it every 5 years instead of every 2. That way you can ensure (ideally) every team plays every other team home and away once. And it actually means something if it's less frequent

Edit: and make the team on top host the final. It's ridiculous for India to finish on top and then have to play a SENA team in SENA conditions where they will probably lose
No this would just legitimise it. It should be as unfair as possible if we must have it, otherwise people will start caring about it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Edit: and make the team on top host the final. It's ridiculous for India to finish on top and then have to play a SENA team in SENA conditions where they will probably lose
On paper that makes sense, but in practice scheduling the final in the top place teams locale is hard on any kind of notice, schedule is just really packed RN.

Socerer 01

International Captain
On paper that makes sense, but in practice scheduling the final in the top place teams locale is hard on any kind of notice, schedule is just really packed RN.
i wouldnt mind the final being kept in a different country every iteration like the world cups are if it has to be a 1 off match, personally i would rather have 1 test each in each country with the 3rd one being in a rotating neutral country but thats a nightmare to schedule

the weak as piss argument that only England should host wtc finals because of muh tradition is laughable, like what tradition does this meme tournament have in the 1st place? the other weak as piss argument of it being in England because its the only place that can sell out stands is equally laughable, if you cant fill stands for an icc event final its on the organiser and they’ve got more than enough money to take a loss for a 1 off test anyways if at all it is a loss

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think teams can play 5 different test series in a year no?

Ideally, the top 6 would play each other home and away in 3 test series and the other 6 in 2 test series either home or away.

This would mean about 42 tests in 4 years for every team. And the top 2 can play a 3 test series in a neutral country to decide who wins, coz the entire championship is based on series and therefore, so should the finals.

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
According to my wish let the rest of the world teams opt to play more odis and t20Is and just a few tests. Whereas India must play atleast 15 tests a year or else they should stop playing cricket.

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just wishing BCCI schedules more test matches. Logically it mskes sense as 1) India is doing better in red ball than white ball events 2) Test needs audience turnover which our supporters can help 3) corporates and TV chanels can support here more than in most other cricket playing nations 4) We have many stadiums to support that kind of test match activities 5) We can improve our player ranks and stats in the top format 6) The older players will have more opportunities as the younger players will contribute in white ball events thereby a balance would be struck 7) We could see more thrilling Gabba kind of tests to recall our memories plus matches against Pakistan would be more regular 8) Test cricket will bolster its place as the best among all formats 9) IPL frenzy will reduce 10) that brings me back to my previous post - I wish it that way!!

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think scheduling a single test as the final in the top placed country is as tough as you think.
Last game is in late january. Let's say Australia finish top and want to host it over there. Where do you host it at that point on short notice? AFL season is starting up so the major grounds are out from ~march till august. So now we've got 6 months of test cricket that doesn't involve the WTC at all, unless you want to start games for the next cycle before the previous final has been played. If it's in india you've got the ipl in march, so you've reasonably got a month to find a venue, get is scheduled, get everyone over there, etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The point is it does not always have to be in ****ing England. We can easily play a test in India in June and if marketed and priced smartly it will have just as big, if not bigger, crowds than any test in England.

Sunil1z

International Regular
What ground strikes the perfect balance between seam and spin. That is where it should be played.
There is nothing wrong with England as venue .BCCI can prioritise WTC final and pull their key players from IPL in last week and send them to England 15 days before the final .

Australian players sacrificed IPL money for WTC Finals . Indian players couldn’t. Blame goes to BCCI .

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is nothing wrong with England as venue .BCCI can prioritise WTC final and pull their key players from IPL in last week and send them to England 15 days before the final .

Australian players sacrificed IPL money for WTC Finals . Indian players couldn’t. Blame goes to BCCI .
England already had two such chances. Either England and Wales cricket board owns the world of cricket or other boards do not have a spinal chord. It is arguable. For instance, my 74 year old Father in law who stays with us is following cricket since 1960s and still reckons BCCI is subservient to ECB and thinks WTC should only be hosted in England, the original founders of this sport and for fourteen years I havent convinced him despite IPL, BCCI's cashflow supremacy, Australian dominance in the sport and so forth that the sport is not owned by England no matter what i say. So some people of that generation will never give up on ECB. Very much the same stubborn way he reckons that Kamal Haasan owns Tamil cinema since Kalathur Kannamma days!! The old boys baby boomers of world cricket will see England hosts WTC for the next 2 decades atleast. BCCI cant sabotage it from them even if they are the richest board.