• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Speed Draft

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll bring in Nepo Laulala for Francis and Owen Lane for North then, please.

I'd have put long odds on having Lane in my XV before we started, but there it is.

Howe_zat

Audio File
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WhhXlg6JufLSt1bYCBrvqvdYtDF63_3GcedUefzyK3c/edit?usp=sharing

Standings before the final weekend:

1) Nip/Ruck - 845.8

Why has Brumby shot into the lead? It's actually kinda hard to find the driving force behind it, it's just that several of Brumby's players had very good games without rocking the scoresheet. Anthony Watson made a lot of ground, Dan Biggar kicked well, and Billy Vunipola put in a shift. Maro Itoje only scored 12 points. Incidentally, the scoring system that had Maro Itoje score only 12.8 points from his herculean performance against NZ may need examining.

Brumby has nine players in the last week, a lot of them key backs like Watson, de Klerk, Daly and Biggar, and three more try scoring forwards in Itoje, Tuipolotu and Vunipola. He's very well placed.

2) Ripper's Renegades - 811.4

Ripper got about as much out of his side as he could this wekeend given how much of it got knocked out in the quarters. Manu Tuilagi's early try and a decent run out for Sevu Reece has kept him in the running. Tom Curry actually gave a statistically poor performance despite being a matchwinner, so Ripper can count himself unlucky there. The final pair of matches offer another chance for Tuilagi to have a shot at breaking the three figure mark, and Ben Smith will finally get a starting gig against Wales. They'll be two of only five players (the others being Curry, Ken Owens and Brodie Retallick) to feature for the Renegades.

3) Dynamo Morpork - 808

I always thing Magrat's side are to be written off and they keep pushing on. A massive week for try scorers de Allende and Savea re-establishes them as the best players in their position over the course of the tournament, and that's not counting metres machine Mapimpi. Handre Pollard is vying with Farrell for top kicker of the tournament. If you have only 5 players in the final week, you may as well make them count.

4) Prop n' Lock - 806.4

My side hasn't had everything their way, but at least bonus pick Adams got himself on the scoresheet in a relatively try-sparse week. George Ford taking over kicking duties has done a lot to lift me into the top four too. With world cup finals often being low scoring affairs, my best shot for final week points is probably Reiko Ioane getting to air his frustrations in the third place playoff, after having achieved almost nothing all tournament. I'll have nine players in the final weekend, all of them starters.

5) Southern Mob & a Welshman - 806

Stephen and I have been tied for a while and the run in is no different. No real big scorers this week, but his hefty Springbok pack continues to pile up the tackle count. He'll be diappointed with bonus pick Jordie Barrett's semi final.

Elder brother Beauden is probably this side's best source of points for the week, getting a final run from fullback at what is probably a very tired Welsh side. Stephen's black and green dominated team has 10 players featuring this week, with Ryan Crotty getting a gig but Bridge missing out. However, four of those will be replacements.

6) Marcuss XV - 800.8

Both the players Marcuss brought in as injury replacements have now required replacing. It's possible this team is haunted. Marcuss' side missed out on some points unluckily this week, he also incurred the wrath of the TMO taking a try off Underhill, and points that probably should have been kicked by a fit Farrell were passed over to George Ford. Kolbe and Farrell, who have had some of the top-scoring individual matches in the comp, are the most likely players to gain him points on Saturday, but Marcuss still has 10 players in the game.

7) James XV - 730

Now well off the pace, James will need a big kicking performance from Mo'unga to clamber himself off the bottom. Sonny-Bill Williams will be looking to make a big impact in his final match in black too. Hoever, with Whitelock presumably sin binned, only 6 players will feature this weekend.

ripper868

International Coach
Super write up Howe, dare say Brumby has it locked away, 40 points a huge margin to overcome, and I'm not likely to do that!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ken Owens scored -3 today, making him the only player in the tournament to make a negative score more than once.

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. Nip/Ruck - 892.8.

Biggar and Lane didn't actually do much, but here's Sam Cane out the back with a 17-0 defensive effort. 5 players with a game remaining.

2. Southern Mob & A Welshman - 889.6.

Barrett siblings just love performing in games where it doesn't matter huh :ph34r:. 6 South Africans to rep this team tomorrow.

3. Prop n' Lock - 882.2.

Josh Adams going well, Read with his best performance of the tournament too. 5 Englishmen to come in the final.

4. Ripper's Renegades - 871.

Huge from Ben Smith, rubbish from Owens. Only Tuilagi and Curry to try and make up the gap tomorrow. And yeah, this side was one disallowed try from the lead.

5. Marcuss XV - 846.6

A try for Amos is nice but not much here for the forwards. 5 players to come in the final.

6. James XV - 841

Just about everyone who could have had a massive game did, especially Moody, A Smith and Mo'unga. Only two more performances to count, Lawes and Kolisi.

7. Dynamo Morpork - 808.2

Nothing really gained with only a (not very good) bench appearance by Jake Ball. 3 of South Africa's best backs to try and make up a big difference in the final.

Howe_zat

Audio File
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rvqvdYtDF63_3GcedUefzyK3c/edit#gid=1819730270

As England's front row and back three happily depart from the scoring, a big gap is left open by Brumby and I for the winner to charge through. Magrat certainly made gains off Mapimpi's try and the boot of Handre Pollard, but the real winners were the dominant tackle counts of South African forwards like Vermeulen and Mostert. And Farrell made some kicks too. And Kolbe scored a try. Oh, wait. Yeah, it happened.

7th place: James XV - 857.8 points

6th place: Ripper's Renegades - 884.4 points

5th place: Dynamo Morpork - 887 points

4th place: Prop n' Lock - 916 points

3rd place: Nip/Ruck - 922.8 points

2nd place: Southern Mob & a Welshman - 928.8 points

1st place: Marcuss XV - 936.8 points

Congratulations to Marcuss for his second successive win!

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Stats Top Fives
(Excludes bonus selections & injury-covers)

Top 5 scorers:

1) Makazole Mapimpi - 170.8
2) Beauden Barrett - 149.4
3) Anton Lienert-Brown - 127.4
4) Marika Koriobete - 126.4
5) Handre Pollard - 124.2

Bottom 5 scorers:

1) Augustin Creevy - 6.4
2) Bundee Aki - 7.2
3) Sekope Kepu - 8.6
4) Juan Manuel Leguizamon - 11.8
5) Viliame Mata - 13.2

Most Tries & Assists

1) Aaron Smith - 2 tries, 5 assists
2) Makazole Mapimpi - 6 tries
3) Beauden Barrett - 3 tries, 3 assists
4) George Ford - 2 tries, 4 assists
5) Will Genia - 2 tries, 3 assists

Most successful kicks at goal:

1) Handre Pollard - 25
2) Owen Farrell - 23
3) Richie Mo'unga - 22
4) Dan Biggar - 17
5) Christian Lealiifano - 10

Most missed kicks at goal:

1) Handre Pollard - 9
2) Owen Farrell - 7
3) Richie Mo'Unga - 5
4) Nicolas Sanchez - 4
4) George Ford - 4

Most metres made:

1) Beauden Barrett - 462
2) Marika Koriobete - 452
3) Makazole Mapimpi - 399
4) Anthony Watson - 378
5) George Bridge - 308

Most Tackles

1) Alun Wyn Jones - 73
2) Maro Itoje - 67
2) Kieran Read - 67
4) Justin Tipuric - 63
5) Sam Cane - 60

Most Tackles Missed

1) Owen Farrell - 19
2) Dan Biggar - 11
2) Beauden Barrett - 11
4) Faf de Klerk - 10
4) Ken Owens - 10
4) Jacob Stockdale - 10
4) Pablo Matera - 10

Worst tackle success rate (minimum 5 tackles attempted)

1) Kurtley Beale - 33% (2/6)
2) Jacob Stockdale - 55% (12/22)
3) Beauden Barrett - 56% (14/25)
4) Tim Nanai-Williams - 57% (4/7)
4) Tevita Kuridrani - 57% (4/7)

Best Individual Match Performances:

1) Anton Lienert Brown vs Namibia - 61.2
2) Makazole Mapimpi vs Namibia - 53.6
3) Makazole Mapimpi vs Japan - 50.2
4) Beauden Barret vs Canada - 49.8
5) Owen Farrell vs Australia - 40.4

Worst Individual Match Performances:

1) Bundee Aki vs Samoa: -10
2) Ken Owens vs Fiji: -5
3) Ken Owens vs Fiji: -3
4) Conor Murray vs Japan: -1
4) Henry Slade vs Argentina: -1
4) Scott Sio vs Georgia: -1
4) Peceli Yato vs Wales: -1

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play Marcuss. Fitting I should snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Expertly run once more Howezers. Well in.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh wow, I did not anticipate that!

My players feature an awful lot more in the 'bottom 5/worst performances' lists than they do the best too. At least something good came out of last night.

ripper868

International Coach
Grats Marcuss, and thanks again Howe. Cant believe I've needed up running second last, but I also can.