• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Predictions

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
isnt he about 250 years old now anyway
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
39 actually, but I'd say still better than anyone they have come up with since, like Bangar...

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Winner: Australia (will narowly edge out sth africa in the final)
Top runscorer:Brian Lara ( i have a feeling hell have a massive series)
Most Wickets: Shane Warne (always rises to the big occasion)
Biggest Surprise: Jimmy Anderson (i guess hes not much of a surprise anymore, but he'll go really well)
Biggest Flop: Virender Sehwag (has been talked up by so many people on this board, but he rides his luck when batting and i think bowlers will bang it in short to him and expose his technical frailties)

Don Ricardo

Winner: Australia (will narowly edge out sth africa in the final)
Top runscorer:Brian Lara ( i have a feeling hell have a massive series)
Most Wickets: Shane Warne (always rises to the big occasion)
Biggest Surprise: Jimmy Anderson (i guess hes not much of a surprise anymore, but he'll go really well)
Biggest Flop: Virender Sehwag (has been talked up by so many people on this board, but he rides his luck when batting and i think bowlers will bang it in short to him and expose his technical frailties)

Sure Bet: Stephen Flemming and Chanderpaul to get a number of scores between 50-100

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Why should relative performances against Aus matter?
Because if one side loses too often while most others are not performing that bad against Aus, it goes to show that one side has some issues with playing Aus....sort of a jinx, don't you think ?

All sides play them once in the group, and will almost certainly lose, so they all cancel each other out!
Well that's to be seen in a month's time....

Andre

International Regular
I'm pretty much in agreeance, Anderson looks the goods for mine.

Sehwag might not be such a flop though, I'm looking abit more at someone like Ganguly to be the real flop.

As for the Fleming and Chanderpaul part, we can add some more guys in can't we? Hussain, Sarwan, Vincent, etc etc.

Talking_Trash

Cricket Spectator
Winner : South Africa
Final : South Africa Vs. India
Leading Run Scorer : Jacques Kallis
Leading Wicket Taker : Shane Bond
Highest Individual Score : Saurav Ganguly
Best Bowling Performance : Muralitharan
Biggest Surpirse : Marlon Samuels
Biggest Flop : Shoaib Akhtar
Biggest Surprise : The Black Caps or for that matter India
Biggest Flop Team : The Team from Oz

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie_beater said:
Because if one side loses too often while most others are not performing that bad against Aus, it goes to show that one side has some issues with playing Aus....sort of a jinx, don't you think ?

Doesn't matter if it's a jinx or not, England still only play Australia once in the World Cup Group, and so do India, Pakistan et al - so bad runs still only count for one game!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Talking_Trash said:
Biggest Flop Team : The Team from Oz
Well your certainly living up to your name mate...Australia are the most in-form team in the world at the moment in both forms of the game...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Well your certainly living up to your name mate...Australia are the most in-form team in the world at the moment in both forms of the game...
give the newbie a break rik ;)

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Rik said:
Yes, but England only have to play one match against Australia. I don't know how you can slagg England off saying they will be the biggest flop when Sri Lanka and India and Pakistan all have had poor run-ups to the World Cup, whilst England have had a pretty good one.

What good run are you talking about??? I've discussed about England's OD performance before and don't want to enter their recent OD stats again, but the fact is that (except against Zimb and SL) England have an inferior record against every ODI cricket country!!!

India basically had a good 2002 year as far as ODI are concerned, they performed badly towards the end in NZ but that was more to do with the pitch BUT that has exposed a few weaknesses and as such i am not tipping them as the fav's.Pakistan has been in a pretty bad shape and as i said before if England ever make it to the super six then it will be at the expense of Pak.
Though you are correct about SL, they might even fare poorly than the English team!

[/QUOTE] I think if you look at all the teams Australia have played lately, not many of them have won many matches against them. Yes, even "mighty" India...
[/QUOTE]

No one suggested that India had been doing GREAT against Aus, but surely they have been doing MUCH MUCH better against Australia than what England have been doing for the last 4 years in ODI:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ringua

Winner : South Africa
Semis:India/SA/NZ/Aus
Leading Run Scorer : Sehwag
Leading Wicket Taker : Akhter
Highest Individual Score :Jaysuria
Best Bowling Performance : McGrath
Biggest Surpirse : Lawson
Biggest Flop : Hoggard/Harmison
Biggest Surprise : West Indies
Biggest Flop Team : England

Winner : India
S.F : South A, Ind , Aus & WI
Leading Run Scorer : Sachin Tendulkar
Leading Wicket Taker : McGrath/Pollock/Shoaib
Highest Individual Score : Ponting/Gilchrist
Best Bowling Performance :Shoaib
Biggest Surpirse : S Bangar/Oram
Biggest Flop : Harmison/Symonds
Biggest Surprise : West Indies
Biggest Flop Team : England and Sri Lanka

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
warrioryohannan said:
What good run are you talking about??? I've discussed about England's OD performance before and don't want to enter their recent OD stats again, but the fact is that (except against Zimb and SL) England have an inferior record against every ODI cricket country!!!
When these records are 4-5 from 10 - those teams are pretty equal, and you can't say either team is better than the other!

warrioryohannan said:
India basically had a good 2002 year as far as ODI are concerned, they performed badly towards the end in NZ but that was more to do with the pitch BUT that has exposed a few weaknesses and as such i am not tipping them as the fav's.
19 wins and 13 losses is not that good a year. Granted it's better than Englands, but then again we didn't have the chance to play the great West Indian side or New Zealand!

warrioryohannan said:
they performed badly towards the end in NZ but that was more to do with the pitch BUT that has exposed a few weaknesses and as such i am not tipping them as the fav's.
Is that the same pitches that NZ had to play or did they change them between innings?

Eclipse

International Debutant
India should stop blaming the pitches for there losses in New Zealand If they need to blame somone it should be there own curators for not pre-paring pitches that teach batsman to play on green tops.

As Marc said New Zealand had to play on the same pitches.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
warrioryohannan said:
No one suggested that India had been doing GREAT against Aus, but surely they have been doing MUCH MUCH better against Australia than what England have been doing for the last 4 years in ODI:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Excuse me I was talking about the fact that England have won 3 matches against Sri Lanka who are slightly tougher OD opponents than NZ and actually...England have set competitive scores in all but one of their matches, whilst India haven't even passed 200 in 7 ODIs...

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to laugh at you as if you think a team struggling to pass 200 is having a better run up to the World Cup than a team which has regularly passed 200 and set competitive scores and are in the VB Finals against Australia...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bazza

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Is that the same pitches that NZ had to play or did they change them between innings?
Darn sneaky Kiwis with their drop in pitches! :P

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Granted it's better than Englands, but then again we didn't have the chance to play the great West Indian side
Granted, the West Indies did play well. Why won't anyone give them some credit? India were beaten by good cricket from the WI.