• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Avatar Challenges

Slow Love™

International Captain
A thoughtless wager I made as to England's chances of winning the CB series, a game or two before the finals. Though it probably wouldn't have made much difference if I'd given it a lot of thought, really.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'll take that challenge Tharmi. Shane Watson is the avatar if Australia win both games by comfortable margins. If either game goes close I'll change my avatar to something related to the offending team, and if they win I'll have them celebrating. Not sure what qualifies as close, but I'm sure we can make a judgement at the time.

In an unrelated wager, if Australia don't make the final I'll have the captain of whichever team knocks them out as my avatar for a month.
Did we ever decide what was rated as close? I know Scotland going to win tonight, but just thought i'll check in case they have an off day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A thoughtless wager I made as to England's chances of winning the CB series, a game or two before the finals. Though it probably wouldn't have made much difference if I'd given it a lot of thought, really.
You and Tim de Lisle would make easy bedfellows.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Aww, I'll be disappointed if I see your whizzy-frowny-face go... I vote change it (temporarily) to a stationary one. :D

After all, I was the first to see it.

And I don't want to see anyone substandard beating a ODI-class team, TBH.
It will only be changed for a month though, this will make a return after that month :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good to see these types (men after my own heart) who're committed to their long-term avatars. :thumbup:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You and Tim de Lisle would make easy bedfellows.
So true, he had so much egg on his face after his article about how pointless the CB Series was, and how the result was a foregone conclusion.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/279028.html

No sooner will Australia have lifted the Commonwealth Bank trophy, than they have to jump on a plane to Wellington to play another three matches against their mate Lou Vincent and the rest of the Black Caps. Even Mr Cricket himself, Mike Hussey, may struggle to care about that one. The two teams will be playing for the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy. What was meant as a tribute to two great cricket families ends up as a bit of an embarrassment.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love Tim Delisle, but really thought he should have at least made comment of England's ODI CB Series win, and how wrong he was to just make such an assumption. Well, he's allowed to make an assumption like that since a lot of us did, but when you're a professional columnist, probably best not to stick your neck out and have it chopped off in such a fashion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've grown to like him (didn't make the best of first-impressions on me with his Wisden 2003 Notes) but he does undeniably have a terrible propensity for unneccessarily grandilesquent predictions. I do like the way he even admits such a fallibility in that article I linked to (did you read it, BTW?), it was one of the most self-depreciating I've seen.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah mate I've read it. Good link.

There's no doubt that columnists generally are meant to stick their neck out from time to time and make predictions which they believe are true, but claiming them as near certainties is what generally frustrates me. Good to see he admitted his fault though.

pasag

RTDAS
Choice, one of my favourite players and it's a gun photo. Love the slightly confused look on his face as he gets off the plane.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If Kevin Pietersen makes a century in the WC (against any side) I'll change my avatar to whatever the first Englishman to take up my offer chooses.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
If Kevin Pietersen makes a century in the WC (against any side) I'll change my avatar to whatever the first Englishman to take up my offer chooses.
Not an Englishman so i guess i am not invited to this party but please KP score a century i am sick of this Watson crap.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Altoz, I'll take ya up if you agree to have Watson in yours for a month if he doesn't.

Also, I should've clarified that my avatar would only be non-Watto for a month :p

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
No one? I'll edit it.

It's open to anyone who takes me up on it, and they get to choose what my avatar will be for a month, but if I win you have to have Watto for a month.