• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer on Afridi!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It may also interest you that while playing against the Aussies, Afridi averages 17.54 in 25 innings with a solitary fifty . But this is not all......

This remarkable average is boosted by his last series before which he avearged a mere 11.5 against the Aussies !!

Now why take away his last tour ?? Good question. Because he batted at number six. Not the place to face fiery pace with a fresh hard ball and bowlers less concerned about giving away runs and fielders in close in positions ready to grab the nicks !!

When he bats at 1, 2 or 3 against the Aussies his scores are an unremarkable

An average of 11.1 in 11 innings !!

The last two being at number three and the others as opener. Not earth shattering or something to make pace bowlers quiver, would you say ??

Deja moo said:
Go. Get a life. Seriously.

Would you care to explain why you conveniently omitted to mention Javed Miandads comments about Pathan, the one where he claimed that bowlers like him were to be found in every gully of Pakistan..

Now can you get into your puny brain the reason for the "mocking " of the Pakistan camp after the very same gully bowler was instrumental in making the Pakistanis eat humble pie ? You reap what you sow. You mock an opposition player, and he'll give it back to you in equal measure after proving you wrong.
Unfortunately the same bowler played a big hand in Indian team's defeat in the last series, and the way he bowled he did looked like a gulli ka bowler :@

mofo123

U19 12th Man
tooextracool said:
vinod kambli had more talent than tendulkar?
thats new to me.
id say so...:), after 17 matches kambli had a 54 average while tendulkar averaged 34...kambli fell out with the board and didnt get selected as far as i knw but if he hadnt then right not hed b indias permier batsmen

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
atlanta said:
quality of my posts. What is wrong with the quality of my posts. :huh: I was just pointing out what the other side was saying and consider both sides of the issue before you judge. Did you want me to keep my mouth shut when other people are saying how low pak players are with their comments. Unless ofcourse you are indian and embarrassed at the next wasim akram's and bengali babu's comments and don't want the world to know what they said to the pak players when they were down. KARMA IS A BITCH, MAN. Again, come some one tell me what dada "delivered" in the past series. I didn't follow it so I wouldn't know. Did he hit triple century in every match. :)
:yucky: :laughing: :clown: :horse: :notworthy :hypocrite

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
mofo123 said:
id say so...:), after 17 matches kambli had a 54 average while tendulkar averaged 34...kambli fell out with the board and didnt get selected as far as i knw but if he hadnt then right not hed b indias permier batsmen
Try to watch last couple of matches Kambli played, you will be surprised. :cool:

mofo123

U19 12th Man
Sanz said:
Try to watch last couple of matches Kambli played, you will be surprised. :cool:
meh! i only saw him play once along with tendulkar...i was a young lad maybe things have changed...or maybe it is me who has changed...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
mofo123 said:
meh! i only saw him play once along with tendulkar...i was a young lad maybe things have changed...or maybe it is me who has changed...
Kambli was 21 when he played his first test and Sachin was 16.

Sachin was raw and had played very little cricket other than school. God alone knows what would have happened to Kambli if he had debuted five years earlier.

I have seen both of them from their school days. Ther is no doubt that Kambli was very talented but to say that he was more talented than Sachin is totally in correct. There was a HUGE gap between them.

In fact, Kambli got a lot of notice BECAUSE he had played a lot of junior cricket with Sachin and when Sachin succeeded in a big way, it was normal for people to remember his school mate with whom he had shared that memorable partnership.

Shahid_afridi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
RealPk said:
Jo , hi!

Ich bin aus Hannover und ein echter Pakistaner (s. mein Nick ;) )

Ne ne, es gibt auch Pakistanis, die aus Deutschland in Internationalen Foren über Cricket diskutieren ;)
Und woher kommst du eigentlich?

Sorry if i talked in german....

Back to topic:

I didnt expect Afridi with my last post to score in each match about 50/70 +...

I just expect from him to score over 30 up to 40 with a strike rate of around 200....This would make a huge difference between two sides. Its like getting 3,4 wickets each match for a bowler.
ich bin aus kiel.(i am from kiel) spielst du im verein?(do you play in a club?)

atlanta

Cricket Spectator
Deja moo said:
Go. Get a life. Seriously.

Would you care to explain why you conveniently omitted to mention Javed Miandads comments about Pathan, the one where he claimed that bowlers like him were to be found in every gully of Pakistan..

Now can you get into your puny brain the reason for the "mocking " of the Pakistan camp after the very same gully bowler was instrumental in making the Pakistanis eat humble pie ? You reap what you sow. You mock an opposition player, and he'll give it back to you in equal measure after proving you wrong.
well, turns out mean dad was right. Just one series too early. :) And believe me, we do have bowlers with the next wasim akram's blinding pace in every gully in pakland. Especially in punjab and NWFP. Don't know about karachi though. :huh:

The next wasim akram was mad about our coach saying crap about him so he decided to sing a song. Okay fine, but if you will do that, then expect the same type of mocking when the next wasim akram falls *** backward in the next series. So, I hear the next wasim akram is busy doing fashion shows nowadays after his 1,287 wickets that he took in the recently concluded series. Apparently the beating has forced the next wasim akram to think about alternative career choices. :p

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2005/apr/22fwabhi.htm

Apparently the next wasim akram is sporting a pony tail nowadays. Quite a change from his perm look. Who knows, maybe in the next series, pak batsmen will not be able to recognize the next wasim akram with his new hairstyle and actually show him some respect. Errr, maybe not.

atlanta

Cricket Spectator
SJS said:
First of all. Anyone who watches the game can see that he revels off the front foot and from straight field to midwicket. Cricket is not rocket science unfortunately one needs to have basics clear which is rarer than logically makes sense.

Secondly, I doubt if Gillespie is the only one to notice that. I quoted a passage from Imran which said mostly the same stuff.

Thirdly, the Indian bowlers lack the pace necessary to make bouncers effective. If you read through what Gillespie is saying, it implies that "discomforted by bouncers, Afridi will go for the , relatively, pitched up delivery but being not of drivable length and on or outside the off stump he is likely to make a mistake.

A Shoaib Akhtar would be able to do it if we are to consider bowlers from the sub continent.

Zaheer did the next best thing, he kept the ball just short of a length to Afridi and the result was there for all to see.

If bowlers around the world did not know how to handle Afridi, he would have had more than one hundred per 60 plus ODI's as he averages today.

The shortest gap beteen two hundreds for Afridi is 58 games !! That tells a story.

Just check how many he has against real chin music. If you arent willing to do that wait for his next encounter with similar bowling and come back here.

relax superstar, I didn't say he doesn't struggle against the good bowlers who can produce chin music at will. But who else besides aussies can do that. Read my post again, I was agreeing with gilly's assessment. I was just ridiculing (sp) him for stating the obvious. And also for the fact that he thinks just because kangaroos can bowl to afridi with ease, that indian bowlers should be able to do the same.

you are right. Aussies will always have an upper hand in their battle with afridi since they can bowl in tight line and length consistently not to mention can bounce it around at will. But he will always do well in sub continent and especially against indians who really don't have any "fast" bowlers. Most of the "beamers" that indians throw out their turns into a tennis volley shot for afridi. I reckon akhtar can also bowl him out with his speed. But if I was a betting man, I would have my money on afridi. Afridi will hit a six in first ball which would make showape actor mad and bowl faster without any line or length. Not to mention the fact that actor will retire hurt after bowling 1.2 overs because he was too busy banging chicks the night before.

Deja moo

International Captain
atlanta said:
well, turns out mean dad was right. Just one series too early. :)
Congratulations. Too bad Pathan didnt let Miandad keep his job long enough to savour this temporary success. I guess theres a Baroda boy laughing somewhere at the unemployment of a loud-mouth Karachi resident. :happy:

atlanta said:
And believe me, we do have bowlers with the next wasim akram's blinding pace in every gully in pakland. Especially in punjab and NWFP. Don't know about karachi though. :huh:
So "blinding pace" was Akrams hallmark ? Congratulations on your superb knowledge of one of the legends of the game. I guess Shoaib, Sami etc are Wasim replicas according to your theory? Too bad these ubiqutous pacemen just dont show up on the international scene , huh ? :lol:

atlanta said:
The next wasim akram was mad about our coach saying crap about him so he decided to sing a song. Okay fine, but if you will do that, then expect the same type of mocking when the next wasim akram falls *** backward in the next series. So, I hear the next wasim akram is busy doing fashion shows nowadays after his 1,287 wickets that he took in the recently concluded series. Apparently the beating has forced the next wasim akram to think about alternative career choices. :p
Okay, so you want to try and save face by spouting the same old nonsense again evn after it has been conclusively proven who the originator of the fall-flat-on-your-face nonsense was :D .(after all, it wouldnt have been pleasant for your legendary ex-coach to be booted out of his job by a rookie). I'll let your trolling go on.... :D

tooextracool

International Coach
mofo123 said:
kambli was dropped because he had an obvious weakness against the short ball.
and yes kambli had a high average, which was inflated by performances in his first 2 series.
also you might want to know that talent does not always = to performance. tendulkar had a better technique, better eye and better shot selection that kambli

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
atlanta said:
relax superstar, I didn't say he doesn't struggle against the good bowlers who can produce chin music at will. But who else besides aussies can do that. Read my post again, I was agreeing with gilly's assessment. I was just ridiculing (sp) him for stating the obvious. And also for the fact that he thinks just because kangaroos can bowl to afridi with ease, that indian bowlers should be able to do the same.

you are right. Aussies will always have an upper hand in their battle with afridi since they can bowl in tight line and length consistently not to mention can bounce it around at will. But he will always do well in sub continent and especially against indians who really don't have any "fast" bowlers. Most of the "beamers" that indians throw out their turns into a tennis volley shot for afridi. I reckon akhtar can also bowl him out with his speed. But if I was a betting man, I would have my money on afridi. Afridi will hit a six in first ball which would make showape actor mad and bowl faster without any line or length. Not to mention the fact that actor will retire hurt after bowling 1.2 overs because he was too busy banging chicks the night before.
Enough said.

I am sorry it took me some time to realise that you are in a different league of critics alltogether as far as knowledge of the game goes.

I bow before your superior knowledge.

Goodbye.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
atlanta said:
well, turns out mean dad was right. Just one series too early. :) And believe me, we do have bowlers with the next wasim akram's blinding pace in every gully in pakland. Especially in punjab and NWFP. Don't know about karachi though. :huh:

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2005/apr/22fwabhi.htm

Apparently the next wasim akram is sporting a pony tail nowadays. Quite a change from his perm look. Who knows, maybe in the next series, pak batsmen will not be able to recognize the next wasim akram with his new hairstyle and actually show him some respect. Errr, maybe not.
Sorry it wont work here as not many people are willing to take the bait. My only fear is that if you go on like this, you will have a very short life on this forum.

So enjoy your stay here, and try your style where it works. :)

RealPk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Shahid_afridi said:
ich bin aus kiel.(i am from kiel) spielst du im verein?(do you play in a club?)

Ich spiele nicht im Verein, aber im Sommer spiele ich immer mit meinen pakistanischen Freunden.
(Im not in a club , but in summer i go with my pakistani friends to play cricket.)

atlanta

Cricket Spectator
Deja moo said:
Congratulations. Too bad Pathan didnt let Miandad keep his job long enough to savour this temporary success. I guess theres a Baroda boy laughing somewhere at the unemployment of a loud-mouth Karachi resident. :happy:

So "blinding pace" was Akrams hallmark ? Congratulations on your superb knowledge of one of the legends of the game. I guess Shoaib, Sami etc are Wasim replicas according to your theory? Too bad these ubiqutous pacemen just dont show up on the international scene , huh ? :lol:

Okay, so you want to try and save face by spouting the same old nonsense again evn after it has been conclusively proven who the originator of the fall-flat-on-your-face nonsense was :D .(after all, it wouldnt have been pleasant for your legendary ex-coach to be booted out of his job by a rookie). I'll let your trolling go on.... :D
buddy, we fire coaches if they fart, if you think miandad got fired for what the next wasim akram said or did, than go right ahead. No one really won, miandad is blabbing away on tv and the next wasim akram is doing shampoo commercials. Somewhere, a baroda boy is being inspired by the next wasim akram's commercial success and will try to follow in next wasim akram's shoes to create a revolutionary shampoo commercial himself. That is no menial achievement and the next wasim akram shall be praised endlessly for it. And blinding pace was a sarcastic comment. Besides, I was talking about the next wasim akram, not the real one, not that the real one's speed is something to write home about. :huh:

mofo123

U19 12th Man
tooextracool said:
kambli was dropped because he had an obvious weakness against the short ball.
and yes kambli had a high average, which was inflated by performances in his first 2 series.
also you might want to know that talent does not always = to performance. tendulkar had a better technique, better eye and better shot selection that kambli
which is all speculation...coz kambli never got the chance at the top level.:) and first class records say that he would have done great:)

tooextracool

International Coach
mofo123 said:
which is all speculation...coz kambli never got the chance at the top level.:) and first class records say that he would have done great:)
he certainly got more than enough chances in ODIs. and it was getting rather tiring to see him get picked and fail game after game. the selectors obviously realised tht.
in tests his last 3 series were all extremely poor and walsh, benjamin and nash didnt have too many problems exposing his weakness against the short ball either.

cricket player

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
he certainly got more than enough chances in ODIs. and it was getting rather tiring to see him get picked and fail game after game. the selectors obviously realised tht.
in tests his last 3 series were all extremely poor and walsh, benjamin and nash didnt have too many problems exposing his weakness against the short ball either.
I understand but kambli was a very good classic left handed batsman,The shots that he played through off side was just a class act,I have seen his good innings but also The bad ones but he was getting too old for my liking and that is the reason he was left out,And also remember The twisted ankle incident there are alot of factors why he wasnt given chances :)