• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Top 50 Under 23 Players

SeamUp

International Coach

1. Kagiso Rabada (23) South Africa
2. Rashid Khan (20) Afghanistan
3. Aiden Markram (23) South Africa
4. Babar Azam (23) Pakistan
5. Kuldeep Yadav (23) India
6. Rishabh Pant (20) India
7. Kusal Mendis (23) Sri Lanka
8. Matthew Renshaw (22) Australia
9. Lungi Ngidi (22) South Africa
10. Shadab Khan (19) Pakistan

11. Mustafizur Rahman (22) Bangladesh
12. Washington Sundar (18) India
13. Mujeeb Ur Rahman (17) Afghanistan
14. Jofra Archer (23) England/West Indies
15. Privthi Shaw (18) India
16. Lahiru Kumara (21) Sri Lanka
17. Shubman Gill (18) India
18. Billy Stanlake (23) Australia
19. Mehedi Hasan (20) Bangladesh
20. Sam Curran (20) England

21. Sandeep Lamichhane (18) Nepal
22. Shreyas Iyer (23) India
23. Dom Bess (21) England
24. Alzarri Joseph (21) West Indies
25. Jhye Richardson (21) Australia
26. Ishan Kishan (20) India
27. Imam Ul-Haq (22) Pakistan
28. Andile Phehlukwayo (22) South Africa
29. Tom Curran (23) England
30. Mosaddek Hossain (22) Bangladesh

31. Sanju Samson (23) India
32. Joe Clarke (22) England
33. Shaheen Afridi (18) Pakistan
34. Darwish Rasooli (18) Afghanistan
35. Blessing Muzarabani (21) Zimbabwe
36. Ollie Pope (20) England
37. Finn Allen (19) New Zeland
38. Kamlesh Nagarkoti (18) India
39. Mason Crane (21) England
40. Shimron Hetmyer (21) West Indies

41. Harry Brook (19) England
42. Afif Hossain (18) Bangladesh
43. Josh Tongue (20) England
44. Shivam Mavi (19) India
45. Lloyd Pope (18) Australia
46. Glenn Phillips (21) New Zealand
47. Anshy Rath (20) Hong Kong
48. Taskin Ahmed (23) Bangladesh
49. Haseeb Hameed (21) England
50. Keemo Paul (20) West Indies

Quite a few young players missing I'm sure that some think highly of.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah; Australia and South Africa appear to be under represented.
Probably happens naturally due to less first class teams though.

I mean, as promising as Harry Brook appears, just due to the lack of opportunity he would have struggled to play too many FC matches to this point.

As a direct comparison (aside from his concussion issues) someone like Will Pucovski who has had a lot fewer first class matches despite being a year older, and breaking heaps of age records in National youth cricket.

Borges

International Regular
I think they were looking at all forms of cricket. For instance, Kamlesh Nagarkoti hasn't played any first class games yet.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think they were looking at all forms of cricket. For instance, Kamlesh Nagarkoti hasn't played any first class games yet.
Neither has Lloyd Pope. But by getting to play more first class cricket, you get more chances to illustrate your potential.

Borges

International Regular
I'm quite glad they have Haseeb Hameed in the list; even if, arguably, lower down than he ought to be.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Hetmyer should be higher
That was my immediate thought as well. I think that shows a lack of research on Wisden's part as even a cursory check on Hetmeyer, his Under 19 credentials etc would have him much higher up the list.

Otherwise some really good names around and we should be in for an interesting decade or so.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ahh Wisden failed to follow Shimron Hetmyer as he was going around the globe hitting 100s at every stop in the warmup games only not to get selected by team management to play the real games.

Kid is top notch.

Keemo should be in the low 40s

Jack1

International Debutant
It's scary that Rabada still counts as a young player....
23 and under counts as young/junior. I think it's fair. Are you saying 23 is too old, or saying it's scary he's that young? He actually looks younger than 23 in my opinion.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
23 and under counts as young/junior. I think it's fair. Are you saying 23 is too old, or saying it's scary he's that young? He actually looks younger than 23 in my opinion.
You missed the point. It's scary how good he is at his age. Imagine how great he could become. A terrifying prospect if you aren't South African.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
its nothing more than a page filler.

the only thing worse than top 50/100 lists are those ****ing awful "5 things we learnt from this weekends premier league matches".

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You missed the point. It's scary how good he is at his age. Imagine how great he could become. A terrifying prospect if you aren't South African.
Entirely possible he could be at his peak now, or over the next three-four years, like Ian Botham.