• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies- To Be Or Not To Be

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Just came on to here having watched that same Kimber video and feeling a tad more hopeful (although no doubt it'll make the next loss worse) but if West Indies have a couple tosses go their way and South Africa and Australia have a couple tosses go against them who knows. Although suspect that first defeat could prove fatal. Scramble a below par 110, stretch the game to the last 4 overs and getting through on NRR is a real possibility. It looks unlikely here - Australia will know what they need going into the final game and the pitches don't seem the sort of pitches where you would want to be trying to force big wins to salvage NRR.

Agreed with most of what Kimber said although I do wonder with that England game (I haven't really complained too much about lack of singles as it is effectively asking players who have been the players they have been due to their boundary-orientated approach to suddenly change) I thought they could try and be more patient after the first few wickets. They won both T20 World Cups struggling for large periods with the bat in each final but doing enough to extend the innings and giving themselves a chance. The attacking approach may be borne out of fear of England's batting?

Although I guess in both finals it was Samuels who played a key hand and he is no longer there which brings in the argument of having someone like Chase there, and DJ Bravo dismissal you could see what he was trying to do - he got width, tried to make the most of it but hit it low to the fielder. A yard either side and maybe he plays a knock like he did in that final v Sri Lanka to stabilise the side.

slippy888

International Captain
Guys are champions the likes of Gayle, Pollard, Russle, Bravo i hope to see them play world cup im Australia next year.

Bahseph

State Captain
I never realised how poor of a record Andre Russel has in T20I cricket, let alone the WC games. Other than the 40 odd he scored in the semi a few years ago he really hasn't done much. I've always felt that West Indies having Bravo,Pollard,Sammy,Braithwaite and Russel in one team was basically variations of the same player but in their prime atleast one of them came off.

Beamer

Taken a while to work out how I feel about our performance in this tournament. Think I'm there now. I think it was worth one last hurrah with Gayle, Bravo and Russell. It didn't come off and we have to live with that. It's sad that such a genre/game defining group of players are going out with such a whimper.

I think a combination of mediocre bowling, geriatric fielding, batsmen out of form, injuries to 2 vital players in Allen and McCoy and conditions that are our kryptonite have combined to make this a bit of a disaster. Obviously losing the first 3 tosses didn't help but it didn't matter against Sri Lanka anyway.

Clearly it's time for the next gen to take over, guided by Pollard for a few years before he hands the baton over to Pooran. Howwever, I think team management and the selectors do have some things to answer for:

- Simmons opening: It hardly worked during our summer and they were so inflexible. They were so obsessed with having a right hander that it didn;t matter that Simmons and Fletcher both stank up the place in that role. It also meant Gayle got placed at 3, which should be Hetmeyer or Pooran's role by rights. Rank bad tactics and a lack of a Plan B.

- Chase: They played him against Bangladesh, but not against South Africa who would have been ideal against his brand of tight off spin.

- Fitness policy: I understand the logic of taking into account individual circumstances, but any system that rules out the likes of Narine and Rutherford but allows Gayle, Rampaul and co needs reviewing.

Time to move forward with the next gen. We're fortunate to have a core of good young players to build around but there are big shoes to fill!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Kieron Pollard just doesn't look like a natural leader to me.

T20s I'd probably give the captaincy to Chase actually. Looks like a pretty steely character (if quite laidback) and maybe the extra responsibility will bring out the best in him. Pooran as VC

Last edited:

Beamer

Kieron Pollard just doesn't look like a natural leader to me.

T20s I'd probably give the captaincy to Chase actually. Looks like a pretty steely character (if quite laidback) and maybe the extra responsibility will bring out the best in him. Pooran as VC
General consensus in the Caribbean is that Polly had good captaincy experience and is a definite step up from Holder in terms of his on field tactics. He captained pretty well before the World Cup tbh.

He has a mandate to groom Pooran as the next T20 skipper and Shai Hope as the next ODI skipper. Plan would be to hand over after the 2023 ODI world cup. Pooran has already shown he's a pretty good skipper having captained us to 4 victories out of 5 in matches he has led. Shai Hope we are yet to see in action.

So for once, there is a fairly solid succession plan in place. I think it's more a very ordinary bowling attack and losing 4 out of 5 tosses that has made him look worse than he is as a leader.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
General consensus in the Caribbean is that Polly had good captaincy experience and is a definite step up from Holder in terms of his on field tactics. He captained pretty well before the World Cup tbh.

He has a mandate to groom Pooran as the next T20 skipper and Shai Hope as the next ODI skipper. Plan would be to hand over after the 2023 ODI world cup. Pooran has already shown he's a pretty good skipper having captained us to 4 victories out of 5 in matches he has led. Shai Hope we are yet to see in action.

So for once, there is a fairly solid succession plan in place. I think it's more a very ordinary bowling attack and losing 4 out of 5 tosses that has made him look worse than he is as a leader.
The bowling attack lacked wicket-takers. It was simple to see. Most of the guys are containers, and yet they were still giving away runs.

I hear that Roger Harper and his fellow selectors are expected to be in their positions for the next two years. Just waiting for CWI to confirm it.