• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Cornwall finally getting a look in is awesome. Hel be an instant cult hero due to his appearance if he's even half decent at test level
Rumour is he's in the training squad for the India tests, hence why he will miss the 3rd test.

Can't wait to have him in our side.

Beamer

Central contracts for 2019/20 have been announced:

All-Format Contracts: Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Keemo Paul, Kemar Roach

Red-Ball Contracts: Kraigg Brathwaite, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Jomel Warrican

White-Ball Contracts: Fabian Allen, Carlos Brathwaite, Sheldon Cottrell, Nicholas Pooran, Rovman Powell, Oshane Thomas

New players offered contracts for 2019-20

Fabian Allen, Darren Bravo, John Campbell, Sheldon Cottrell, Nicholas Pooran, Oshane Thomas, Jomel Warrican

Players no longer on contracts

Sunil Ambris, Devendra Bishoo, Miguel Cummins, Ashley Nurse, Kieran Powell, Raymon Reifer

I mostly agreee with that. However no white ball contract for Ambris seems utterly bizarre and an all-format contract for Darren Bravo feels like a make-up statement for the way Cameron treated him. Great to see Keemo Paul on an all-format contract. He will be a big part of our future.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm guessing that they're banking on pace to take wickets in the tests. Warrican is very flattered by the terrible domestic pitches, but at least he shouldn't bleed runs like Bishoo.

Beamer

I'm guessing that they're banking on pace to take wickets in the tests. Warrican is very flattered by the terrible domestic pitches, but at least he shouldn't bleed runs like Bishoo.
R.e Warrican absolutely. Rumour is Rakheem Cornwall is in the squad for the pre test series camp. If he has lost some weight he'll be straight in there ahead of the other spinners.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollard has been appointed captain of the ODI and T20I teams.

Much needed change in the decision making process. Let's hope he makes time to lead us at all times. T20 leagues aside.

Slifer

International Captain
What I'm curious to know, is why alzahri Joseph was left out of our test squad?? Looked pretty decent in the wisden test series.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
What I'm curious to know, is why alzahri Joseph was left out of our test squad?? Looked pretty decent in the wisden test series.
Seems like primarily a workload/injury management thing, not sure they trust him to get through long spells without breaking down

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit puzzling why Pollard was chosen as captain of the white ball teams. Surely Holder is a better choice?

Beamer

Bit puzzling why Pollard was chosen as captain of the white ball teams. Surely Holder is a better choice?
It was definitely time for change. Holder had been losing match after match and he is ultra defensive. He never quite got to grips with ODI's.

Having a white ball captain is an excellent move as long as Pollard scores runs. He's a good captain and certainly more positive.

I wanted someone young like Hety but he hasn't kicked on with the bat and you can't reward youngsters for mediocrity. I think they should groom either Hety or Hope as vice captain.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It was definitely time for change. Holder had been losing match after match and he is ultra defensive. He never quite got to grips with ODI's.

Having a white ball captain is an excellent move as long as Pollard scores runs. He's a good captain and certainly more positive.

I wanted someone young like Hety but he hasn't kicked on with the bat and you can't reward youngsters for mediocrity. I think they should groom either Hety or Hope as vice captain.
Hope in my opinion. Hety needs to get his own head in order before attempting to lead anyone. In fact would even give Hope the captaincy, but not sure if he doesn't have enough responsibility with keeping and batting at 3, defacto opener.

Beamer

Hope in my opinion. Hety needs to get his own head in order before attempting to lead anyone. In fact would even give Hope the captaincy, but not sure if he doesn't have enough responsibility with keeping and batting at 3, defacto opener.
My thoughts precisely. I think he would be a good choice as vice captain. I also think he should go back to opening the batting. Our team could look something like:

Evin Lewis/Sunil Ambris
Shai Hope (wk)
Roston Chase/Jon Campbell
Nicholas Pooran
Shimron Hetmeyer
Kieron Pollard (c)
Jason Holder/Carlos Brathwaite
Fabian Allen/Rakheem Cornwall
Romario Shepherd/Keemo Paul
Sheldon Cottrell
Alzari Joseph/Oshane Thomas

Narine might be back soon also, which would make a difference.

SillyCowCorner1

Rahkeem finally gets a cricinfo article about him...Though I remember his uncle Wilden...years ago when he came with the Leeward Islands to play at my home club ground...in the Red Stripe Cup.:

"He always was a batsman. So Rahkeem was a batting allrounder. He started batting, really, first," Wilden said. He even used to keep wicket for the club teams. Though he bowled spin in nets and during practice sessions, that was just something he did on the side.

His physical transformation came in handy. At 12 he was the shortest player in the side, around 5'5". Benjamin would poke fun at him: "You're half the size of everyone else on the team." At 13 he was the tallest, having shot up more than a foot in a few months' time, according to both Benjamin and Wilden. He was suddenly able to use his height to good advantage in his bowling.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...t-indies-offspinner-rahkeem-cornwall-made-big

SillyCowCorner1

So Miguel Cummins quits West Indies to go full Kolpak. Hope he gets the help he needs so desperately. Looked like a lost individual in the India test.

Beamer

So Miguel Cummins quits West Indies to go full Kolpak. Hope he gets the help he needs so desperately. Looked like a lost individual in the India test.
I think this is good news. He's s very decent FC bowler but just not good enough for test cricket. He can make a good living for Middlesex whilst allowing more talented youngsters for both Barbados and Windies A to have gametime.