• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Shaun Marsh be better than his father for Australia?

Who'll end up better Geoff Marsh or Shaun Marsh?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dunno about Marsh. Exceedingly talented but it's telling the selectors went for Norf instead of him when number 6 was up for grabs. Need to be able to roll the arm over to get a 6 spot it would seem.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Dunno about Marsh. Exceedingly talented but it's telling the selectors went for Norf instead of him when number 6 was up for grabs. Need to be able to roll the arm over to get a 6 spot it would seem.
I don't agree with the selectors if that's the case with Watson in the team.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Next middle order batsmen to get a go should be Smith and White IMO, maybe Khawaja. I'd like to see post-Ashes, barring any dramatic form reversals a batting line up of:
Katich
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
White
Smith

I reckon Ricky should go at the end of the Ashes, when people are still saying "why are retiring?" rather than "why haven't you retired?"

Jakester1288

International Regular
Next middle order batsmen to get a go should be Smith and White IMO, maybe Khawaja. I'd like to see post-Ashes, barring any dramatic form reversals a batting line up of:
Katich
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
White
Smith

I reckon Ricky should go at the end of the Ashes, when people are still saying "why are retiring?" rather than "why haven't you retired?"
Agreed, apart from White. I'm still not sure on him, I've never seen him in FC and he hasn't done too well in Tests IIRC. That said, he has been shoved low down the order.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I really don't like that top 6!

Two left handers opening the batting followed by 4 RHs, with numbers 5 and 6 extremely suspect batting in difficult situations, IMO.

Watson is the difficult player to pick, because I'm not really comfortable having him in the top 3. I would like to see him from 4 to 6, but you get people saying he'd be no good at 5-6 cause he's not good against spin, personally I would pick him at 5 if the selectors want Hughes to open.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I really don't like that top 6!

Two left handers opening the batting followed by 4 RHs, with numbers 5 and 6 extremely suspect batting in difficult situations, IMO.

Watson is the difficult player to pick, because I'm not really comfortable having him in the top 3. I would like to see him from 4 to 6, but you get people saying he'd be no good at 5-6 cause he's not good against spin, personally I would pick him at 5 if the selectors want Hughes to open.
Keep Watson as an opener and drop Katich to 3 if you're really worried about LH-RH partnerships. They're always strictly a bonus to me, not a reason to not select the best players. Besides L, L, R, R worked pretty well in the years of Hayden, Langer, Ponting and M. Waugh/Martyn!

Watson is a top 3 batsman and I've seen nothing to suggest it would be anything but a backwards step for him to go down to 5 or 6.

As for White and Smith, who would be better in those slots? The reality is any six we name with Ponting (especially) and Hussey missing is going to look unimpressive compared to a similar six that includes them. But it's coming fast.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
141 AND 81, superb start to Shaun's career. Really looking good in these conditions, I hope that he is the permanent number 3 for a while now.

If the situation dictates I'm certain that he can bat more aggressively, at this point in time though, I have no problem at all with a few batsman in our XI batting slower, but putting a high price on their wicket.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Geoff Marsh 2854 runs at 33.18
Shaun Marsh 2082 runs at 35.29

If you combine formats
G Marsh 7211 @ 36.98 (13 100s, 37 50s)
S Marsh 4521 @ 35.32 (11 100s, 21 50s)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Marsh, but I don't like the idea of him in the Test team yet. It'd again send the wrong message that one's path into Test cricket is to look good at the crease.
Thoroughly agree. Should spend a couple more years honing his craft before being picked.