• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Root and Kohli finish their test careers with averages 50 or above?

Will they average 50 or above at the end of their careers?

• Total voters

BazBall21

International Regular
Both unlikely. And Root needs to regain seriousness if he's going to finish with a higher average than he currently has now. Don't know why him and Stokes don't just bat like themselves. They weren't slow scorers.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Kohli’s still averaging 60 at home which is higher than most ATG’s. An away average of 40 is just not good enough though.

Flem274*

123/5
Kohli’s still averaging 60 at home which is higher than most ATG’s. An away average of 40 is just not good enough though.
Away averages of 40 aren't that common.

He ain't Tendulkar but he's still been a fantastic player and has some time to turn things around.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Away averages of 40 aren't that common.

He ain't Tendulkar but he's still been a fantastic player and has some time to turn things around.
For players who ended up averaging 50 theres only Walcott (40.46) and Compton (36.88) I believe.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The Fab 4 was never anything more than talking point totally divorced from reality

It was always Smith

level

level

level

Some incredibly good players including the other 3

His sheer weight of runs in all conditions killed off the competition years ago
No it wasn't, that's just totally wrong. Go check the start of the fab4 thread.

I dont disagree with your assessment now, but when the fab4 was first a thing Smith was probably the least rated of them.

Flem274*

123/5
They also broke out at different times. Smith and KWs careers stuttered initially. Smith took a while to consistently convert 50s into tons (I believe during the 2013 India and English tours) while Root especially hit the ground running.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No it wasn't, that's just totally wrong. Go check the start of the fab4 thread.

I dont disagree with your assessment now, but when the fab4 was first a thing Smith was probably the least rated of them.
Yeah I still rated Kohli higher than Smith until his recentish slump. Social has always had this thing with Smith and his higher raw average though.

BazBall21

International Regular
Kohli has six hundreds in Australia, averages above 50 in South Africa where Asian batsmen go to die, and also had a better tour of England than Mahela was capable of. Can’t tell if this comparison is serious or not. Presume not.