• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Root and Kohli finish their test careers with averages 50 or above?

Will they average 50 or above at the end of their careers?

• Total voters

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Kohli won’t. It’s possible though if he can survive till next year, cash in at home, and then retire before the away tours. He won’t though.

Root won’t under this Bazball setup. He’s been trying to score way too quickly over the last few series and just throwing his wicket away. It won’t end well.

subshakerz

International Coach
Would be a tragedy if Kohli doesn't. I am hoping he has a few double tons left in him against WI or Bangladesh.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unlikely but not impossible for Kohli.

Root shoould be able to do it, but the fact that he was in the best form of his life and somehow only averaged 50-60 in the last two years makes me think he might do an Inzamam and end up a shade under.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Both will. I am predicting a resurgence in batting for not just these two but Williamson as well. Will be great for cricket if the Fab four rediscover and sustain excellence for next few years, with only Smith doing a fair job of it right now.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither will. That's the most likely outcome.

Root is currently averaging 49. I expect him to finish 47.

Kohli is already down to 48.6
I reckon he will end up around 46-47.

Smith down to 57-58. Williamson around 51.

Let's see in a few years how much they all fall.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Idk, outside of Ponting (obviously) most recent greats have been pretty good towards the end.

Last 3 years of career: (limited to players who retired in the 2010’s)
Tendulkar (47, 23, 34) - ret. at 40
Ponting (36, 31, 42) - ret. at 37
Kallis (51, 67, 25) - ret. at 38
Sanga (85, 71, 40) - ret. at 37
Dravid (42, 57, 19) - ret. at 39
Chanders (58, 71, 18) - ret. at 40
de Villiers (24, 53, 53) - ret. at 34

For reference, the Fab Four are currently 34 (Kohli), 33 (Smith), 32 (Williamson and Root).

Kohli seems to be more likely to follow Ponting’s trajectory, (though worse).

I doubt at this point, without a late peak somehow Kohli get back above 50. Root probably playing for at least another 5 years, I reckon he has a good chance. Hopefully he doesn’t keep getting forced hard into Bazball, it clearly doesn’t suit him and he’ll be saving the team when it inevitably has collapses.

Dravid’s age being so close to Sachin’s always surprises me, cos Tendulkar had been playing since so young I guess.

Gob

International Coach

Don't wait for other people's failures bruh.

Try to get better yourself and appreciate other's success as our significantly insignificant blink of an existence on this floating rock is way too short for that

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

Try to get better yourself and appreciate other's success as our significantly insignificant blink of an existence on this floating rock is way too short for that
Some decline is inevitable. I feel all 4 have already hit their absolute peaks. Some are even way past it.

They can still have some good years but they will have 1-2 ordinary years which would be enough to bring their avgs down slightly.

Losing few points from their career avg is nothing bad or doom and gloom. It's absolutely normal part of their journey. Just like life. They will hand over the batton to the newer generation of batsmen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah Root and Stokes haven’t benefitted from the Bazball approach.
Stokes’ stats are about the same, just with higher SR. Obviously that can be a bad thing if it leaves us 7 down quite quickly but it’s also been key to a few of those victories.

shortpitched713

International Captain

Losing few points from their career avg is nothing bad or doom and gloom. It's absolutely normal part of their journey. Just like life.
We are talking about international cricketers' batting averages, right? Did I stumble into a self-help forum, or am I in one of Kohli's sports psychologist sessions, like wtf is this ****?!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Fab 4 was never anything more than talking point totally divorced from reality

It was always Smith

level

level

level

Some incredibly good players including the other 3

His sheer weight of runs in all conditions killed off the competition years ago
It doesn't matter what you think, Fab 4 is a valid term because when you say it everyone with a brain knows which 4 players you mean.