• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WICB Director compares Chris Gayle to an alleged criminal

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Download HILLARY BECKLES NOW.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

From min 57-59:

Frank Worrell is the Father of the Nation, Sobers is the King of Cricket, Clive Lloyd is the Statesman, Richards is the General of the Army, Brian Lara is the Prince, and Chris Gayle is the Don. And these are very interesting images indeed because the movement from the father to the Don and, and those who follow him and his cohort in the team do relate to him as their Don, and he has brought it is said, the Don-manship into how ‘tings’ operate in the team, and what the West Indies Board is trying to do at the moment is to uproot this Don-manship out of the culture in much the same way that the Jamaican people are trying to uproot Dudus from their politics…this West Indies Under-19 team is some interesting collection of very smart and bright young men and there is a different quality of personality at the moment. They do not wish to be like Chris Gayle, they do not wish to be like am, ah, Marlon Samuels
Read more: WIPA condemns Beckles for comparing Gayle to 'Dudus' - Latest News - JamaicaObserver.com

Dujon against Professor Beckles? 'donmanship' statement about Gayle | RJR News

Beckles' history Lesson falls short commentary by JIMMY ADAMS
In this last link Jimmy Adams, yes the one who captained the West Indies, writes a quite good article with a choice quote below comparing the WICB to the message of Orwell:

Maybe the good professor might conduct further research into the hypothesis held by some that, not unlike the main actors in George Orwell’s Animal Farm, the working class have won their struggle to become the ruling class (and I for one applaud their effort) but have been found to be in all ways similar to the ones they replaced.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
He should get sued, comparing Gayle to a man who's been responsible for the deaths of so many people... One cant begin to explain everything wrong with that!
Vice Chancellor of the UWI and that's the best analogy he could think of?! Those students are quite clearly in excellent hands... Dreadful

Teja.

Global Moderator
More importantly,

Frank Worrell is the Father of the Nation, Sobers is the King of Cricket, Clive Lloyd is the Statesman, Richards is the General of the Army, Brian Lara is the Prince, and Chris Gayle is the Don
****ing batsmen, limelight, always etc.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
TEJA WAG.. Especially for the "more importantly" at the beginning of the post. :)
Can't blame Chris Gayle if he doesn't want to play for a board led by ****s like him.

shivfan

Banned
An idiotic, biased speech by a university professor who should know better....
8-)
So, everything Lara did in the team was okay, and beyond reproach? After all, he's the 'Prince'....

But problems around Gayle are because he's a 'Don'?

Jimmy Adams did an excellent job of politely refuting Beckles' rubbish....

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People comparing Sachin to Bradman is bad enough, but Chris Gayle now!??

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh, Chris Gayle's mouth may say one thing, but his actions say that he's not seriously interested in test cricket imo, and for that, I have no sympathy.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh, Chris Gayle's mouth may say one thing, but his actions say that he's not seriously interested in test cricket imo, and for that, I have no sympathy.
:laugh: Played.

EDIT : Oops, how did I end up quoting Benchy's post? Meant to quote andyc there. Probably leave this here for posterity though.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
he seems to have done rather well when he has played in the tests post his tests can die out etc. comments. a triple 100, some good innings in australia, decent stuff in new zealand. hell, i'd tell him to be less interested in tests if it helps him perform better!

shivfan

Banned
he seems to have done rather well when he has played in the tests post his tests can die out etc. comments. a triple 100, some good innings in australia, decent stuff in new zealand. hell, i'd tell him to be less interested in tests if it helps him perform better!
Well said....
:cool:
The simple truth is that he's currently one of the best batsmen in this current WI side, and without him, the Test side is considerably weakened.

I've struggled thru Beckles' thoroughly boring speech, which is a rambling, disjointed, self-praising piece of nonsense, and all he's done is pull together snippets from excellent historical work done by writers like Manley and James, while bemoaning aspects where no writing has been done. I would've thought someone who's being paid to lecture about cricket at the University of the West Indies would've actually taken a shot at addressing those issues that are missing from the archives.

The three minutes in particular are a disappointing descent into parochialism, where he raises the spectre of a drug-dealing gunman, called a 'don' in Jamaica, and applies that description to Gayle, who happens to be Jamaican, and for good measure throws the name of Samuels in the ring, for no apparent reason other than that he's Jamaican too. It's disingenuous, and unbecoming for an academic, which is what Beckles is supposed to be.

Beckles is very involved in the running of the Combined Campuses and Colleges (CCC) and the High Performance Centre (HPC), which are both creations of the WICB, so it's not surprising that he's resorted to these divisive tactics, which are so typical of the WICB, and will do nothing to repair relations with the players, and build for the future. All Beckles has done is add more fuel to the fire that's only going to create more acrimony between players and the Board.

Thanks a lot, Beckles!
:@