• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why subcontinental bowlers get picked for chucking

C_C

International Captain
Lee was reported to the ICC, his action was reivewed by a panel of appointed judges and was cleared. This has happened to many other bowlers. As far as I am aware, Shoaib never underwent a "biomechanics test" in the same way that Harbhajan or Murali did either, his action was reviewed, he did some remedial work and he was cleared.
I am pretty sure that Shoaib had to take a biomechanics test while M&M came to Lee's rescue.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
The law is damn clear now and I dont know why Harbhajan is crying over it
Harbhajan is a whinger. He was on a TV reality programme about customs officials here, moaning and complaining that he was going to be fined because he hadn't cleaned his boots properly. He announced in a surly tone that he was never coming back to New Zealand again.

Fine by me, Harby.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
I am pretty sure that Shoaib had to take a biomechanics test while M&M came to Lee's rescue.
Early in his career, Lee's action for the bouncer was definitely suspect - it was the equivalent of a javelin throw.

As a result, he was reported and took remedial action with Dennis Lillee, Michael Holding and others. I could be mistaken, but I dont think the computerised testing procedures had even been adopted at the time.

But, to be fair to him, his action is now totally different - much more upright and side-on.

With the naked eye - waits for the chorus of objections - it does not look remotely suspect now.

Shoaib, on the other hand, has been reported on quite a few occasions.

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else think that the footage shown of bowlers' actions undertaking bio-mechanical testing is more reminiscent of bowling a tennis ball in the back-garden than the stress of actual match conditions.

As Ive said before, the whole issue of chucking really has become farcical. With the latest rules, they should just let everyone bowl and forget about the whole thing.

Last edited:

social

Another unfortunate aspect of the new rules has been that several respected Australian coaches have declared that they intend sending young spinners back to the drawing board to get more "flex" in their actions as this would potentially allow them to "bowl" with more variety and still be within the rules.

It's a sad day when cricket coaches are openly declaring their intention to teach young bowlers to "chuck."

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
How did M&M come to Lee's rescue. What exactly did they do to rescue Lee.

Very typical statement from someone with a phobia about Australia.

social

Scallywag said:
How did M&M come to Lee's rescue. What exactly did they do to rescue Lee.

Very typical statement from someone with a phobia about Australia.
And who the hell are "M & M" anyway?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Either:
a) the two giant chocolate-filled shells that advertise the sweets of the same name, or
b) the famous rugby pairing of Justin Marshall and Andrew Mehrtens

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
MNM is a wrestling team which defeated Guerrero and Mysterio for the tag team belts.
Really?

But I thought the N in the middle stands for Nitro, where in M&M, the & stands for and.

Randomness is good, but not when it's irksome.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
What? Mate, have some sleep, because you're absolutely not making any sense to me. :wacko:
I have had the sleep I require thank you.

I wrote in simple lucid english and if that didnt make sense to you, you know with whom the problem lies!

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
I have had the sleep I require thank you.

I wrote in simple lucid english and if that didnt make sense to you, you know with whom the problem lies!
Because my mentioning what Nitro stands for isn't need? I only needed to point that the two things are different, that's all. I'm trying here to show your windbaggery, not enlighten people on WWE's tag teams.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
Because my mentioning what Nitro stands for isn't need? I only needed to point that the two things are different, that's all. I'm trying here to show your windbaggery, not enlighten people on WWE's tag teams.
From where I stand, you are indulging in the, ahem, windbaggery.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
social said:
I'm guessing Malcolm Gray and Malcolm Speed. According to C_C, they intervened with Lee to ensure that he got cleared, or somethign to that effect. Don't ask me, I'm just the messenger boy.

Sudeep

International Captain
Anyway, I wouldn't want to strain my brain cells in an argument with Pratyush, so that's the end of it. Cheers, dude.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
Dude, make sense. I seriously have no idea what was this:

And how it's relevant to:
This is obviously not cricket chat so I end the discussion on the crap.

I made a remark on M&M saying what MNM stands for. There is some thing called ignoring the insignificant and you start on how & is not equal to N and then ask me to make sense impying I am not making sense.

This is obviously not cricket chat so I end the discussion on the crap. Continue with your windbaggery on the matter. :D