• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why no Great Britain cricket team ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I was under the impression that Beckenham was in Kent rather than Scotland...
As far as I'm aware it is.
As far as I'm aware also, Ali Brown's parents are both Scottish. It's a fairly Scottish name, also.

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Im sure a lot of Australians would get annoyed if Australia ceased to play test cricket and instead Tasmania and WA all tried to win the ashes...
No because they are states not countries, that would be the equal to Kent, Hampshire, Surrey playing Test Cricket.

Wales, Scotland and Ireland are countries... not much chance of ever seeing Australia and New Zealand merging or India and Sri Lanka... So why would England merge with others?

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Rich2001 said:
No because they are states not countries, that would be the equal to Kent, Hampshire, Surrey playing Test Cricket.

Wales, Scotland and Ireland are countries... not much chance of ever seeing Australia and New Zealand merging or India and Sri Lanka... So why would England merge with others?
Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England are not separate countries, they are part of the United Kingdom just like Langeveldt pointed out earlier.

Unlike Australia, NZ, India or Sri Lanka, England is not an independent country, so it would still be possible to make a British team with Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland cricketers included as well. Though in my previous post, I have outlined some difficulties with creating a British team.

PY

International Coach
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England are not separate countries.
I think I can find, give or take, 50 million people who might disagree with you there matey. Especially to do with the fact that all of these non-countries have separate Parliaments, borders, languages, capitals.

Langeveldt

Soutie
lol I reckon there are a good 50 million people who dont know what country they live in

A Londoners passport will usually have "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island" scrawled on it.... Exactly the same will apply to someone who lives in Glasgow or Cardiff or Belfast.... Conclusion, they are all from the UK... all the same country....

England, Wales, Scotland are major administrative areas... They have their own parliaments, but they arent independant so why should they be split and have their own teams??? stupid really.. Tradition I guess....

Tennessee has its own boundaries, its own laws and its own administrative capital, doesnt make it a country does it?

PY

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Tradition I guess....
Isn't it tradition that makes us all be from different countries? Can't think of any other reason why we do it....:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If they're not independant, how come they have different laws and more recently different Parliaments?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: gb

Craig said:
So is Gerient Jones, Matthew Maynard etc.

If you look into the history of their surnames, you find out that Michael Vaughan has an Irish surname (whether or not he has family from there I dont know).
No, Matt Maynard is English and Geriant Jones was born in Papa New Guine but is basically an Australian with Welsh parents.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I live only miles from the Welsh boarder, in the County of Shropshire. A Shrewsbury Town player Jamie Tolley is considered Welsh even though he's Shropshire born and bread, although I think it's because he lives so close to Wales.

As for England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, N.Ireland not being seperate countries...well if your going on that logic then the entire European continent would be one great big country too...

Craig

World Traveller
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England are not separate countries, they are part of the United Kingdom just like Langeveldt pointed out earlier.

Unlike Australia, NZ, India or Sri Lanka, England is not an independent country, so it would still be possible to make a British team with Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland cricketers included as well. Though in my previous post, I have outlined some difficulties with creating a British team.
Own sporting coutires with their own anthams?

If you notice, the Welsh antham is sung in Welsh (that is for Mr Ford).

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
England basically already is a British team. Anyone from the UK is qualified to play. I'm from Northern Ireland, and have always considered them my team. Should they change their name ... no. Why? Tradition. I'm big enough to know what the team means to me. I don't need a name change to tell me that.

When it comes to every other sport (football rugby etc), I do not fully support them, although I always hope that the home nations do well ... even the Rebublic of Ireland.

One exception ... the ENGLISH RUGBY TEAM. Rugby players are obnoxious ***** at the best of times, but the English ones are complete tossers.

Craig

World Traveller
Is Northern Ireland a seperate country?

So would I need a passport to travel between Ireland and NI?

PY

International Coach
I think I'm right in saying that you would need a passport to travel between Eire and N.I. but not between mainland UK and NI? Might be wrong with that.

I support all teams from UK and Ireland whatever they are doing except if they are playing England :)

Don't understand the comment bout rugby players though, footy players are bigger ^%^% (<<<<insert expletive here) than rugby players usually.

Langeveldt

Soutie
You dont need a passport to go from England to Northern Island or Scotland or Wales, because it is all the United Kingdom...

Although Scotland, Wales and NI have there own parliaments and laws, they are still for the most part governed from london... They are part of the same country, and are just seperate autonomous areas (meaning they have a say in how they are run)...

If Scotland and Wales were seperate independant nations, how come you dont have to go through a border control, and flights to Edinburgh from London are domestic???