• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why no Border in allstar team?

Swervy

International Captain
Why were there people who averaged 10 runs more than him, then?

Stephen Waugh "was a premier one-day batsman" in his day, too, and people advance that argument for the exact same reason as far as I'm concerned that people do for Border in his day.

That being that the notion of a brilliant Test batsman being poor in another form is just something some people's minds cannot accept.
well the absolute cream of the crop back then averaged more than 35, top of my head, I think Greenidge, Richards, Abbas, cant really think of many more.

Back then, Border would have been top 5 for a fairly lengthy time I think in ODIs.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The thing about these type of allstar teams is that you have a large number of guaranteed locks and then a few places up for grabs.

S. Waugh was a decent OD player but no Dean Jones but neither was Border, Lehmann etc. However, few are and they are only competeing for the last couple of places.

Also, I know many Aussies love him, but I think Symonds is a stretch.

As long as the main guys are correct eg Gilchrist, Jones, Bevan etc then the last few places are discussion pieces rather than being key inclusions.

I personnally wouldnt have Border in the team despite watching him a fair bit and the fact that he was a very, very good occassional bowler.

Swervy

International Captain
I personnally wouldnt have Border in the team despite watching him a fair bit and the fact that he was a very, very good occassional bowler.
Hey look, I agree, I wouldnt have him in an all time Aust team, but Border was a much better one day batsman than Richard would have a lot of people believe

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
well the absolute cream of the crop back then averaged more than 35, top of my head, I think Greenidge, Richards, Abbas, cant really think of many more.

Back then, Border would have been top 5 for a fairly lengthy time I think in ODIs.
Zaheer, IVAR, Turner, Greenidge, Dean Jones, Javed, Haynes, Chappell, Broad, Geoff Marsh, Lloyd, Lamb, Yallop, Steve Smith (:blink: - he was better than Border!!!!!!!!!), Martin Crowe, Boon, Wessels, Keith Fletcher, Gooch, Gavaskar (he wasn't always as poor as that 36*), Andrew Jones, Majid Khan... that enough for you?!?!?!

Swervy

International Captain
Zaheer, IVAR, Turner, Greenidge, Dean Jones, Javed, Haynes, Chappell, Broad, Geoff Marsh, Lloyd, Lamb, Yallop, Steve Smith (:blink: - he was better than Border!!!!!!!!!), Martin Crowe, Boon, Wessels, Keith Fletcher, Gooch, Gavaskar (he wasn't always as poor as that 36*), Andrew Jones, Majid Khan... that enough for you?!?!?!
well, I will tell you for a fact, Steve Smith wasnt a better one day batsman than Border, neither was Yallop, Chris Broad, Keith bleedin Fletcher, nor Kepler Wessels, so just goes to show averages dont really mean that much

Swervy

International Captain
and I was talking more early 80s to be honest

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
well, I will tell you for a fact, Steve Smith wasnt a better one day batsman than Border, neither was Yallop, Chris Broad, Keith bleedin Fletcher, nor Kepler Wessels, so just goes to show averages dont really mean that much
No, you'll tell me you don't think they were.

Me, I just wonder what you'd think if all such players also happened to be better Test players than Border...

Swervy

International Captain
No, you'll tell me you don't think they were.

Me, I just wonder what you'd think if all such players also happened to be better Test players than Border...
I am saying because I watched a lot of those players who you mentioned. Border bailed Australia out of a fair few situations, with extremely clever play. quite often Border actually had to take on roles in the batting line up in which his style wasnt accustomed to (ie being much more aggressive than he should have been), but for the particular role in which he was at his best, ie the Beven/Thorpe/fairbrother type nurdler, he was extremely good His average doesnt portray that, but thats life . Nowt to do with test cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It seems a bit of a coincidence to me that the likes of Bevan and Fairbrother and mountains of others' averages do portray such a thing, and Border's doesn't.

Tell me - what would your reaction be if someone claimed Bevan was the best batsman of all-time?

Swervy

International Captain
It seems a bit of a coincidence to me that the likes of Bevan and Fairbrother and mountains of others' averages do portray such a thing, and Border's doesn't.

Tell me - what would your reaction be if someone claimed Bevan was the best batsman of all-time?
well i wouldnt agree with them!!

Fiery

Banned
I've come to the conclusion that andmark is a true forum genius, he starts a new inappropriate thread instead of continuing the All Star discussion in the thread already dedicated to the subject and manages to start the silliest argument ever. He's almost daft enough to made a moderator.:cool:
andmark is under 10 years old according to the Forum Demographics II thread.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not knocking andmark, he's a legend. In a single thread he started a discussion that should have been carried on in the thread already dedicated to the same subject and managed to invoke an argument over whether people should disagree but not give a reason for doing so.:laugh: 5 Years later this thread will still be going.:cool: