• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why McGrath is the best

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Sentence of the century .I rest my case . You are serious cricket fan eh!!
Of all the people you raise that question ?? Someone who has put Shoaib Akhtar ahead of Joel Garner, Andy Roberts and Dennis Lillee ?

8-) 8-)

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Sanz said:
Of all the people you raise that question ?? Someone who has put Shoaib Akhtar ahead of Joel Garner, Andy Roberts and Dennis Lillee ?

8-) 8-)
Not only that, he's left out the great Curtly Ambrose and still including Shoaib! Curtly is my all time fav, very few got away from the great man.

But on Glenn, have any batsman really mastered him to an extent? Also is there a country where he has found it tough going in their conditions?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
UncleTheOne said:
But on Glenn, have any batsman really mastered him to an extent? Also is there a country where he has found it tough going in their conditions?
Not really. A few batsmen have broken even with him, though. Lara and Tendulkar are obvious examples of players he's had a fairly even run against, but some of the other great batsmen of the era like Dravid, Inzy and so on have struggled consistently against McGrath, for one reason or another.

Opposition-wise, he averages between 18 and 23 against India, England, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the West Indies, 15 against Zimbabwe, 27 against South Africa and 25 against New Zealand and Bangladesh. South Africa is obviously the notable one there, and he had a relatively poor time against them early in his career, before getting on top after 2000 or so.

In terms of countries he has played in, he falls in the 18-23 average range in Australia, England, India, New Zealand, South Africa and the West Indies. The countries in which he has comparitively poor records are Sri Lanka and Pakistan. You could perhaps read something into that, but it's a pretty limited sample. 5 tests in Pakistan for an average of 31, and 4 tests in Sri Lanka for an average of 29. He's not toured either country since the pre-2000 period.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Fraz - Shoaib doesn't belong on that list yet mate. Maybe in 4-6 years but he needs to be on the pitch more before he can be held in the same regard as the bowlers you mentioned.

McGrath is one of the best bowlers of all-time. Like somebody mentioned, he might not be a tearaway quick like Ambrose or Waqar but he had a record comparable with most quick bowlers. One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. I played cricket against his cousin back home (Dubbo, Australia) and his Mum lived around the corner from me. If he was out he was always willing to have a chat about cricket.

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:
Some people definately are easily amused . Try watching the stage shows . May be your sense of humour will improve.
You what ? Shoaib not good . Ok calm down please..
Do not swear (in your heart). And please .............

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Sanz said:

8-) 8-)
Exactly what delivery they deliver is better than Shoaib's?

FRAZ

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Ability to stay healthy for longer than 12 minutes, for one.
This is not what the question was ...Its "pre-mature" answer . I am asking about the de-livery" .
Yorker ,In-swinger, or bouncer or what ?

deeps

International 12th Man
What does it matter if he has an awesome bouncer/inswinger or whatever. He can't consistently perform at the top level, and never has done.

Be it because of injury or other reasons, he has never sustained top form.

Thus he shouldn't be world classs.

He is a bit like a fast bowler version of Shahid Afridi. When in form, they can ABSOLUTELY demolish anything. But sadly, they are both highly inconsistent.

FRAZ

International Captain
deeps said:
wtf is a premature answer?
Like the question was about the delivery .And the gentleman was reffering to some other things other than "cricket ball delivery" .

Slifer

International Captain
My ranking of fast bowlers:

Hadlee/Mcgrath/Marshall
Ambrose
Imran
Waqar
Wasim
A. Donald
Lillee
Trueman??

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sanz said:

8-) 8-)
Its his list and his oponion move on dude.

Xuhaib

International Coach
deeps said:
What does it matter if he has an awesome bouncer/inswinger or whatever. He can't consistently perform at the top level, and never has done.

Be it because of injury or other reasons, he has never sustained top form.

Thus he shouldn't be world classs.

He is a bit like a fast bowler version of Shahid Afridi. When in form, they can ABSOLUTELY demolish anything. But sadly, they are both highly inconsistent.
He averages under 25 in over 40 tests and thats after averaging nearly 40 after 18.

FRAZ

International Captain
Xuhaib said:
He averages under 25 in over 40 tests and thats after averaging nearly 40 after 18.
Point taken .
How important has Shoaib been ?
I mean some people when cannot find any of his class then start bashing his fitness. Let us take a look at the fast bowlers around ...
Windies have any of his class ? Nope
Zims ? Nope
Lankans ? (Although a decent pacer i.e. Vaas) but Nope
Kiwis ? Nope
Safs ? (Three decent ones but none as venomous as Shoaib)
Aus ? Some greats are there . Mcgrath already in my list and Lee hmmm he is a great bowler but Shoaib edges pass him just by an inch or so )
English? Decent fasties they have but Shoaib better than any of theirs . Example the last English series and which was on the flat track
Bangs ? May be
Now I mean involving personal jelousy towards a person will always result stupid things . Now I respect all the oldies and the greats ,And I respect for what they have don during their respective times but Shoaib is much much better bowler than most of the people listed in the list that I made.
May be Walsh was a good bowler or Ambrose was a great bowler but I still took Shoaib ahead of them because the striking ability that Shoaib has , None other has ...So......

FRAZ

International Captain
Current fasties

1. Mcgrath
2, Shoaib Akhtar
3. Brett Lee
4. Makhaya Nitini
5. Pollock
6. Andrew Flintoff