• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Is Test Status Given To Bangladesh

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
B'DESH IN MY VIEW IS PLAING LIKE A BIG WACKO(ICC IS A BIGGER WACKO).WHY TH HELL HAVE THEY BEEN GIVEN THE STOOP WHEN TEAM WITH MORE CALIBARE LIKE KENYA ARE WAITING IN THE QUE.THE POSSIBLE ANSWER COULD BE THAT IT IS AN ASIAN COUNTRY(SINCE MOST OF THE ASIAN COUNTRIES PLAY IN I'NATIONAL CRICKRT).ALTHOUGH I SEE SOME THING IN YOUNG LADS LIKE MOHD. ASHRAFUL AND ALOK KAPLI:ninja:

V Reddy

International Debutant
I hope that ICC really concentrates on smaller cricketing nations like Bangladesh, Kenya , Scotland , Namibia ,USA etc,. Kenya has not played a match since that Sharjah series.Cricket really needs to expand to other countries. It is the ideal time for ICC to concentrate in Kenya as the game caught attention there after the World Cup Semis. I want to see atleast 15-20 ODI Status teams in 10 years time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think our friend Dalmiya can be blamed for the decision.

By the way, can you refrain from usig so many caps, it's not favoured on here! :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Do you reckon their test status will be taken away??

Or will they bear with them until they finally win a game of cricket that hasnt been rigged... We could be waiting for a while :rolleyes:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Please, cut out the Capital Letters!
It's seen as shouting, and we don't like it :)

Taking Test Status away from Bdesh would only do further harm - and whilst they probably don't merit it on ability, removing their status would really set them back.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no case for removing test status, because it was as much to encourage the further development of the game as it was to reward them for past ICC and World Cup performances.

It takes time, teams can go backwards as well as forwards (look at Zimbabwe, although much of that is because of domestic politics).

They'll get there (eventually) - but they need encouragement, coaching, investment, time.

Look at football. England held a position of total world dominance for about 50 years - not now.

PY

International Coach
If you know Shivankit not shouting which we do, let them off, all in the name of good nature :)

I spotted Kenya in the ICC Test Championship table, is that a mis-print?:O

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Taking Test Status away from Bdesh would only do further harm - and whilst they probably don't merit it on ability, removing their status would really set them back.
Well if they are doing even worse than they were when they 1st started then I don't think it really matters if it's going to set them further back, because they've not actually got anywhere to go back from! Their players are not of Test standard, they should not be playing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Well if they are doing even worse than they were when they 1st started then I don't think it really matters if it's going to set them further back, because they've not actually got anywhere to go back from! Their players are not of Test standard, they should not be playing.
Sorry, I'm going to totally disagree with you here. By the same argument, would you have thrown Durham out of the county championship?

Remember, it took South Africa about 17 years before they got their first win. New Zealand took 26.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Sorry, I'm going to totally disagree with you here. By the same argument, would you have thrown Durham out of the county championship?

Remember, it took South Africa about 17 years before they got their first win. New Zealand took 26.
But then I could counter by saying why do we need to make the same mistake again? We do not need Bangladesh, we have enough Test Nations as it is. Even Zimbabwe have not pushed on since they were given Test Status.

My bishop takes you knight. Check.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
But then I could counter by saying why do we need to make the same mistake again? We do not need Bangladesh, we have enough Test Nations as it is. Even Zimbabwe have not pushed on since they were given Test Status.

My bishop takes you knight. Check.
If South Africa and New Zealand hadn't had the opportunity to progress by playing test cricket, they wouldn't have progressed at all. We would just have two test-playing nations, England and Australia full stop (and I wonder about England).

South Africa were next to come into the fold. If they hadn't been brought in, what incentive would there have been to bring anyone in? Consequently, there would be no ICC, even (hmmm, perhaps you hav....).

My foot kicks the table, all chess pieces returned to the box. Silly argument, I know, but the 'if you fail, you're out' approach is equally silly.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
My foot kicks the table, all chess pieces returned to the box. Silly argument, I know, but the 'if you fail, you're out' approach is equally silly.
Cheater :!( :!( :!( :!(

Anyway it beats the "if you fail your in" approach taken by England :rolleyes:

Last edited: