• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Sehwag so good: My analysis

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trouble is that Tendulkar has achieved similar results to Sehwag over 100 tests not 30 +.

And Tec, to say that Gilchrist is incapable of playing carefully is nonsense. His genius stems from the fact that no-one in 70 tests has worked out how to contain him for extended periods. Maybe that makes him a better player than Sehwag :D

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
yeah true social but his achievments of late fall into insignificance when compared to shewags...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

tooextracool said:
sehwag is more than capable of playing watchfully and hes more than capable of playing agressively as well, something which gilchrist is incapable of.
Now now tec, how can u say that, u know thats bogus, Gilly isn't all crash, bang, wallop he can play carefully, two major recent examples were his 104 in the Bangalore test and his 49 in the second innings of the chennai test where he came out batted with a great deal of purpose

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Now now tec, how can u say that, u know thats bogus, Gilly isn't all crash, bang, wallop he can play carefully, two major recent examples were his 104 in the Bangalore test and his 49 in the second innings of the chennai test where he came out batted with a great deal of purpose
umm it came off 109 balls with 3 sixes. every gilchrist 100 has come off something near a run a ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
And Tec, to say that Gilchrist is incapable of playing carefully is nonsense. His genius stems from the fact that no-one in 70 tests has worked out how to contain him for extended periods. Maybe that makes him a better player than Sehwag :D
theres a differnece between playing carefully and no one working him out. i havent said that theres anything wrong with gilchrist's game, i was just pointing out something that gilchrist isnt capable off.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
yeah true social but his achievments of late fall into insignificance when compared to shewags...
I don't see how. They have both had a great time of it recently, and played several match winning innings.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
theres a differnece between playing carefully and no one working him out. i havent said that theres anything wrong with gilchrist's game, i was just pointing out something that gilchrist isnt capable off.
Agree. Ironically I see Gilchrist's strength as a weakness. The fact he plays with such "hard-hands" early in his innings gives the bowling team a real chance. Once he's in, he is at least as devastating as Sehwag,if not more so.

But if luck doesn't go his way (which it has for him recently) or the fielding side takes the half-chances early on, i feel he's more of a chance than Sehwag. Particularly early on.

Although he's been sensational all summer in the tests against NZ, he's been fortunate early on in almost all of his innings , never been out LBW, has been dropped and got away with a lot of mis-cues early on.

I'm not suggesting he's always been lucky, I just think things have gone his way lately and he's having a good run. Unlike batsmen like Dravid and Kallis who play high percentages, I think even the biggest Gilchrist fan would acknowledge he does rely on a lot luck. Having said that, thats what makes him such an entertainer.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Shewag = extream talent

that's it.. his techneque is good but not great look at his first movement it's back and away, that's very unusual for an opener. or any class batsman.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't see how. They have both had a great time of it recently, and played several match winning innings.
tendulkar's had 2 alright innings recently but they weren't match winning. shewag beats the current tendulkar hands down.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
tendulkar's had 2 alright innings recently but they weren't match winning. shewag beats the current tendulkar hands down.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Gilchrist, not Tendulkar. Agreed then, Sehwag has been much more impressive of late.

C_C

International Captain
The simple reason i rate Sehwag above Gilly is the reason why Chappelli does too- Sehwag does his tour de force at the top of the order on a fresh pitch facing fresh bowlers while Gilly is akin to flogging a dead horse 8 outta 10 times.....

Eclipse

International Debutant
C_C said:
The simple reason i rate Sehwag above Gilly is the reason why Chappelli does too- Sehwag does his tour de force at the top of the order on a fresh pitch facing fresh bowlers while Gilly is akin to flogging a dead horse 8 outta 10 times.....
since when was this thread about gilly?

most people disagree with you anyway. but that's another matter.

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Agree. Ironically I see Gilchrist's strength as a weakness. The fact he plays with such "hard-hands" early in his innings gives the bowling team a real chance. Once he's in, he is at least as devastating as Sehwag,if not more so.

But if luck doesn't go his way (which it has for him recently) or the fielding side takes the half-chances early on, i feel he's more of a chance than Sehwag. Particularly early on.
i dont agree with you much, but i do on this occasion. personally i've always thought that your best chance against gilchrist is to bowl a spinner early on in the innings, because once he gets set, he really can cause chaos in short periods of time.

tooextracool

International Coach
personally i thought amit varma came closest to anyone else in defining sehwag( or at least closest to why i think sehwag is so successful) in his article recently:
"His 201 today came off 262 balls, and yet, it was a watchful innings. Sehwag's watchfulness is predatorial: he waits for the right moment to pounce on his moving dinner. It is an aggressive watchfulness, not a defensive one. It intimidates the opposition, because when he gets the opportunity, he strikes with speed and finality. The rest of the time, muscles taut, mind relaxed but alert, smelling prey, he makes sure that his wicket is safe.

Even Sehwag's defence has aggression. When he defends on the back foot, he punches the ball as much as he pats it down, and it often speeds to the boundary, so well is it timed. There is nothing about his game that is diffident, and he defines a bad ball more broadly than most other batsmen. Bowlers toil in a meritocracy when they bowl to him; when they err, they pay. But he sets the terms, and soon they're broke."

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/MAR/215606_INDPAK2004-05_26MAR2005.html

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

tooextracool said:
umm it came off 109 balls with 3 sixes. every gilchrist 100 has come off something near a run a ball.
yes, thats natural gilchrist he always scores fast but if u examine that century to the way he played in the 2001 series one would see how carefully he played, especially againts the spinners. For example if u compare his 121 in the 2001 series to the 104 in Bangalore u would see that he careully didn't paly any sweep shots until he was almost to a hundred all 3 of his sixes where straight down the ground, even though he scored quickly that shows that Gilchrist can play carefully

C_C

International Captain
since when was this thread about gilly?

Hey man..i started this thread....so dont lecture ME on this....ease up on the control issue...let a thread develop through natural discourse instead of trying to dilligently control it...
:cool:

I know but dont let logic stand in the way....the only thing that would lead to the conclusion that Gilly is equal/superior is the fact that he has played far more than Sehwag has so far...everytihng else pretty much is under lock and key for Sehwag.

Eclipse

International Debutant
C_C said:
Hey man..i started this thread....so dont lecture ME on this....ease up on the control issue...let a thread develop through natural discourse instead of trying to dilligently control it...
:cool:

I know but dont let logic stand in the way....the only thing that would lead to the conclusion that Gilly is equal/superior is the fact that he has played far more than Sehwag has so far...everytihng else pretty much is under lock and key for Sehwag.
No it doesn't

I've seen you argue before though and your not the type that can be swayed so i wont bother. I'm right your wrong :D