• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is McGrath NOT an all-time great?

aussie tragic

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
The figure SS provided is what Sachin averages against McGrath alone.
Thanks for providing the list as I was starting to get a bit worried with the Dravid & Kallis stats, but the list shows that this stat is just as meaningless as Rutherford averaging 86 and Lewis averaging 40 against him :)

shankar

International Debutant
nightprowler10 said:
The figure SS provided is what Sachin averages against McGrath alone.
:laugh: :laugh: That's hilarious. This stat just takes all the scores a batsman made in an innings in which he was dismissed by McGrath and posits that as his average against him. So if a batsman scored a 100 against him but got out to another bowler, that innings wouldn't figure in the analysis at all.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Thanks for providing the list as I was starting to get a bit worried with the Dravid & Kallis stats, but the list shows that this stat is just as meaningless as Rutherford averaging 86 and Lewis averaging 40 against him :)
Is it really? Rutherford was only dismissed once, so its not an accurate representation. Tendulkar has been dismissed 6 times, Dravid and Kallis 6 and 5 times. Atherton 19 times (LOL!).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shankar said:
:laugh: :laugh: That's hilarious. This stat just takes all the scores a batsman made in an innings in which he was dismissed by McGrath and posits that as his average against him. So if a batsman scored a 100 against him but got out to another bowler, that innings wouldnt enter the analysis at all.
Yup, and it wouldn't be accurate. It would be accurate when the batsman faces him repeatedly.

shankar

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
Yup, and it wouldn't be accurate. It would be accurate when the batsman faces him repeatedly.
No it wouldnt. Let's say a batsman faces Mcgrath 10 times and gets out to him in 4 of the innings, scoring 100 runs in total in those 4 innings. In the remaining 6 innings he scores 400 runs. So even though this batsman has actually done extremely well, he averages only 25 against McGrath if you go by this method.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shankar said:
No it wouldnt. Let's say a batsman faces Mcgrath 10 times and gets out to him in 4 of the innings, scoring 100 runs in total in those 4 innings. In the remaining 6 innings he scores 400 runs. So even though this batsman has actually done extremely well, he averages only 25 against McGrath if you go by this method.
Um, if he scores 500 runs against McGrath, and is dismissed only 4 times, then his average against McGrath would be 500/4 = 125.

shankar

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
Um, if he scores 500 runs against McGrath, and is dismissed only 4 times, then his average against McGrath would be 500/4 = 125.
Yes that would be the logical way to calculate the average. But that cricinfo stat doesnt do that. It takes only the runs scored in the innings in which the batsman was dismissed by McGrath into account. Hence the hilarious conclusions reached such as S.S.Das and Ganguly being better against McGrath than Sachin.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shankar said:
Yes that would be the logical way to calculate the average. But that cricinfo stat doesnt do that. It takes only the runs scored in the innings in which the batsman was dismissed by McGrath into account.
Are you sure that it does that? If so, then I agree that it is useless and I apologize. I wasn't aware thats the way it worked.

shankar

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
Are you sure that it does that? If so, then I agree that it is useless and I apologize. I wasn't aware thats the way it worked.
Yep that's what it does :happy:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
shankar said:
Yep that's what it does :happy:
I don't think it works that way. It takes into account the number of runs a batsman has made against him divided by the number of times McGrath has dismissed each batsman.

Can you provide a link where it states otherwise?

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
nightprowler10 said:
I don't think it works that way. It takes into account the number of runs a batsman has made against him divided by the number of times McGrath has dismissed each batsman.

Can you provide a link where it states otherwise?
I calculated the figure for Sachin using my interpretation of how it works and got 22.16 as the average same as given.

shankar

International Debutant
If you look at Rutherford' case it's quite clear. He played against McGrath only in the 92-93 series and got out to him only in his last inning of the series scoring 86 - So he ends up with an average of 86 against McGrath.

aussie tragic

International Captain
shankar said:
If you look at Rutherford' case it's quite clear. He played against McGrath only in the 92-93 series and got out to him only in his last inning of the series scoring 86 - So he ends up with an average of 86 against McGrath.
Crap, you're right. I just checked Vettori's games against McGrath where he scored 8*, 0, 41*, 65, 45, 24*, 20 and then out by McGrath for 20 and 59....and yep, the stat chart shows McGrath has Vettori out once with an average of 20 :)

...so it's the most useless stat info that I've ever seen...

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath is an all time great, but his batting needed to be better to make an All-Time XI.