• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Bowden allowed to umpire?

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Wasn't Peter Willey supposed to be really good but didn't want to spend too much time away from his family?

howardj

International Coach
Francis said:
He's terrible. I have never seen a test where he hasn't made a mistake, and sometimes it's a crucial mistake. And what's with him taking the spotlight? Steve Waugh makes a century and he goes over to hug him. .
Im not a psychologist, but I've always thought about Bowden and his behaviour: what is so lacking in his own life, that he needs to be the centre of attention, in an arena where he's best off keeping a low profile. Anyway, that's my contribution to Psychology Quarterly, now back to the cricket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Im not a psychologist, but I've always thought about Bowden and his behaviour: what is so lacking in his own life, that he needs to be the centre of attention, in an arena where he's best off keeping a low profile. Anyway, that's my contribution to Psychology Quarterly, now back to the cricket.
Come on, man; what's so difficult to understand about someone loving the attention he gets/ I know I would and I'd hazard that you would. He's just having fun. The fact he has continually made clangers is a bit of an issue or course but he's just a bit of a character and loves the attention. I got an inkling of why when I heard mention he has arthritis and one could easily imagine he's a "I'm going to have fun while I still physically can" type. Everyone admired it when he was making great decisions. The risk he takes, of course, is when his form takes a dip, as it is now.

Truekiwijoker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Jono said:
I don't think he's shocking or anything, but he's not spectacular either.
Well, in my opinion he's pretty shocking. Did you see that last Adelaide test between Aus and SAf? I was cringing by the end.

Jono said:
I do feel his 'clownish acts' as you put it have become a bit tiresome and the novelty has worn off, but hey it doesn't bother me that much.
It bothers me!
It might bother you too if you went abroad.

Jono said:
I reckon the funniest thing I've seen on this board in relation to umpires is the opinions of Aleem Dar changing from one series to the next. First he was pretty average, then he was awesome and handled the pressure from Warne & Co. well, with many saying he deserved to win the ICC umpire of the year award, then he was terrible again.
Nah, Warne & co.... as much as we might not want to admit it... were usually in the right.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
And do you blame him?
Nope i was just asking if Peter Willey was as good as i've heard he was and that the reason that he doesn't umpire much internationally was because of his family commitment.

Are you always this cranky? :laugh:

deeps

International 12th Man
I think Billy Bowden is one of the best umpires. Aleem Dar is also one of the better ones.

They are both relatively new to the international circuit, and have both had some poor decisions, but it's all part of the learning curve. I'd say after Taufel, these two, along with Rudi Koertzen are the next best things.

One bad decision against ur country, and it sticks in your mind. I've seen far worse decisions than the sehwag one, yet no big fuss is made of it.

I too thought Francis was not a troll, but in this thread, he seems extremely trollish.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bowden is a good umpire, I think. Generally, cricket fans are far too harsh on umpires, and far to slow to give credit where it is due.

Dar and Taufel are high class and get the vast majority of decisions correct, and are cool and collected under pressure. I have only seen Dar make one decision I consider absolutely inexplicable (Katich LBW in the fourth Ashes test which pitched a mile outside leg). Taufel is almost always on the money.

Bowden is a good umpire all round. Sometimes I am very impressed with him (third Ashes test he was flawless under immense pressure), and occasionally he makes a bad call, which is to be expected. The only umpires currently on the elite panel I do not rate particularly highly are Bucknor and to a lesser extend Rudi, who I used to think very highly of but has recently dropped off. Bucknor is a fairly average umpire these days and it's probably about time he gave it away.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Dar made another one when it hit the outside of Symonds' pads in the West Indies test series last year. Going miles down leg.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never had too much trouble with Bowden, except when officiating in matches involving Australia, especially those in Australia.
Of course he's been poor recently, but Umpires are poor in patches, it's a fact of life. Even Harold had spells where he got a few wrong.
It's interesting to note that, after 2 years where Bucknor got about a hundred decisions wrong, he's been pretty reasonable in 2005 and 2005\06... were we all premature to write him off?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I think that if Bowden didn't clown around at all and was straight up and down like an arrow (yes, he has a crooked finger due to arthritis), people would not have a problem with him.

Generally, I think he is a pretty good umpire. I think he is quite hard to please for lbw's (which I like...), and pretty consistent with the players.

But yes, I agree, he seems to be an Aussie admirer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was revealing that Bob Willis, in his Christmas Tirade Against The ICC Elite Panel, branded Daryl Harper "hopeless" and Bowden merely "a showpony".

archie mac

International Coach
Richard said:
It was revealing that Bob Willis, in his Christmas Tirade Against The ICC Elite Panel, branded Daryl Harper "hopeless" and Bowden merely "a showpony".
Well maybe they should let the umpires rate the worlds commentators?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
Well maybe they should let the umpires rate the worlds commentators?
Maybe they are going to and that is what made Martin Crowe give it up.

"Whacky Doo!"

"Holy cow!!!!"

"I like the look of his package!"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Incidentally, WRT New Zealand Umpires... where on Earth does this reputation come from? Does it all date from this series?
I've always considered Doug Cowie a perfectly decent Umpire, and had few complaints about Evan Watkin or Tony Hill in 2001\02. Dave Quested was perfectly OK, too.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
sirjeremy11 said:
I think that if Bowden didn't clown around at all and was straight up and down like an arrow (yes, he has a crooked finger due to arthritis), people would not have a problem with him.
My thoughts exactly. IMO the only reason people notice Bowden's mistakes more is because of his antics. I wouldn't mind a bet that, if there were statistics on the number of correct decisions made by each umpire, Bowden would be near the top.

Personally, I've never seen what is so great about Taufel. Every time I've watched a game he's umpired he has made a number of clangers yet he always seems to get excused.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Taufel has generally been pretty good... by and large.
Like anyone he's prone to form-slumps and it's probable that you've just got him at a bad time.