• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Australia have lost the Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Win like this for a few more years consistently.
That will prove they are a great side and are dominating world cricket, it will be a long time before that when it is shown that this series wasn't a fluke. England have lost two tests in their last 6 series, and they've played top of the top 4 teams in the world in the process and beaten both of them in a lengthy series. It's not enough to make them the best team in the world without question, but it's definately enough to suggest that they are capable of beating anyone right now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
He will. He shouldn't be seen again, but he will...
What's he actually done wrong? He's hardly been used, picked up 5 wickets and shown that he can bowl at pace and swing the ball conventionally and reverse. Not a bad little showing at all really for a guy who's 22.

villaturk

Cricket Spectator
you lot lost the ashes cus we were the better team,simple!!!! thank god you had warne otherwise it would of been totally one sided.
After we won the second test i stated that the Aussies main problem was that their batting is over rated and i was proved right.Rtings out of 10
Hayden-1 big innings but his tecnique was blown open 5 should be dropped
Langer-gutsy batter who can occupy the crease 7 keep
Ponting-best batsman in the world,dont make me laugh 5 being captain will save his place
Martyn-another way over rated 5 should be dropped
Clarke-started well but never made the big score 6 keep
Katich-no where near test quality 5 drop

twctopcat

International Regular
villaturk said:
you lot lost the ashes cus we were the better team,simple!!!! thank god you had warne otherwise it would of been totally one sided.
After we won the second test i stated that the Aussies main problem was that their batting is over rated and i was proved right.Rtings out of 10
Ponting-best batsman in the world,dont make me laugh 5 being captain will save his place
If that doesn't get a response nothing will.....

twctopcat

International Regular
What i think this series has shown with so many good bowlers around that ball can still dominate bat, even in this day of flat tracks. Persistence, hard work and belief can give results and i hope it encourages more youngsters to bowl to emulate the greats of Warne and Mcgrath - the two best bowlers i've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

PY

International Coach
Swervy said:
What more does this team have to do to prove they deserve all the success they have had???
Think the answer is pretty obvious replying to some people.

Beat India. :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
villaturk said:
yo, you just want to start up an argument dont you....

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
That will prove they are a great side and are dominating world cricket, it will be a long time before that when it is shown that this series wasn't a fluke. England have lost two tests in their last 6 series, and they've played top of the top 4 teams in the world in the process and beaten both of them in a lengthy series. It's not enough to make them the best team in the world without question, but it's definately enough to suggest that they are capable of beating anyone right now.
Forget domination - to be considered a bona fide good team ( for eg, PAK of the 80s or RSA of the 90s) they have to do a lot more than win just against the minnows....they have beaten OZ, RSA and NZ amongst the top nations during their rise and NZ is a totally different team without Bond, while RSA have declined a LOT. For them to be considered a good team, they have to beat India- atleast at home, while winning at home against SL as well.....right now, England has genuine claims to be the #2 side ( IMO the issue will be decieded in IND 2006) but they arnt a very good team - I would be inclined to pick the English team of the early 80s over this lot so far and that team wasnt very good either.

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Who was Australia's leading run-scorer in the Ashes?
Who was Australia's leading wicket-taker in the Ashes?

Now: of the thirteen players who represented Australia in the Test series, and discounting Shaun Tait, which two players were NOT in the one-day squad?

Clue to selectors: no matter how much bleating some players may indulge upon about wanting to play both forms of cricket, the time to drop some of these players from the one-day team was in 2003 after the World Cup. They may have had fresher legs two years down the track. Many players tried to get through the Ashes by doing the minimum amount of training, simply because the workload is such that they don't have time to recover from niggling injuries. Not when there's another one-day series run for the benefit of Indian television to attend.

Also, the irony cannot be lost that one player who knows English conditions better than most of his team-mates was dumped at the start of the year, and spent the summer in the commentary booth...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Maestro said:
# 1st reason….. simply has to be stated how bloody good this English unit is. Not only from a talent and cricketing ability standpoint but the way they have refused to be psychologically dominated like many teams facing the Aussies have other the past 6 years or so. Hayden and Gillies stand and deliver batting styles, pre-series shows of arrogance via bold predictions and Lees menace of 150 KMHR bouncers and beamers have had little affect here

# Dropped catches. I cant remember seeing so many catches put down by an Australian team in a series. And in their most important series for some is a strange time to start dropping them. Not sure whats up with that. Suspect an abhorrance of being stood up to at last

# Bad fast bowling.. Tait is rubbish and wont be seen again. Gillespes days of talent less but gutsy bowling have reached its end. It’s a credit to him he got as far as he did. Im still a fan of Kaspa but I suspect hes a player that feeds off confidence. McGrath talked himself up as usual and delivered 1st test then has done little. Rested on his laurels and then arrogantly played injured in a test just because he wanted to and no one had the balls to stand up to him. Absurb

# Not playing Stuart McGill…Is it just me or is it obvious that England's possible only Achilles heel is legspin.

# Sheer arrogance of Australian cricket in general. Turning up in England and talking about 5-0 was LOL. They are lucky its not 1-3 now and England would have just a good a chance of winning this test as Aus. 1-4 did you mean Glenn?

# The following players have played like Apes.

Gilchrist--wants to wallop the ball everywhere no matter what style of batting his team requires. Will score a quick 20 if hes lucky then get out, His attitude with the bat has let Australia down badly and once again at what a critical time. Average keeping by his standards. Only thing I can think of is the years of cricket have jaded him, wouldn’t be surprised if he declared his retirement soon

Ponting. One great knock but totally lost his cool. Was never a captain of any ability anyway. Warne should have been skipper years ago

Hayden. A bully who cant stand up when bullied back. Career is over

Martyn. Unlucky at times but still poor returns> Career is over

Katich/Clarke. Not up to it
Firstyl, I probably shouldn't bother replying to this seeing as though you are from NZ and this might explain the many claims of arrogance that litter your post...BUT, I do agree with the fact that England were simply too good, we dropped too many catches, and the fast bowling was ordinary on the whole. I'd question your idea that Gillespie has been fortunate to get as far as he did though, he is actually a very good fast bowler in my opinion, but his loss of form in this series is pretty baffling...I'm not sure you'd be a great judge of fast bowling as you rarely ever see one over that part of the world :p .

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
I think we've had experience of that - Mumbai anyone?
Christ, not this again...

We can't help it if we haven't had as much practice at it as you guys ok! :D

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Firstyl, I probably shouldn't bother replying to this seeing as though you are from NZ and this might explain the many claims of arrogance that litter your post... .
Arrogance =

# Turning up to what many people are predicting is going to be the toughest series you have faced for some time....and predicting you will win 5-0...and then losing 2-1 .......as comprehensively as 2-1 gets

# Gilchrists batting in tight situations

# When Ponting was asked if he was going to be the 1st captain in 18 years to lose the Ashes.....he laughed out loud

Not sure why you have a problem with my use of the word ARROGANCE there? :unsure:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
broncoman said:
wrong, he averages above 50 when coming in with Australia 5 down for under 250. that suggests hes plyed quite well when coming in under pressure, this series everyone knows hes been down on form, but this is not the Gilchrist we know. To suggest this is the real gilchrist and his previous 70 tests were "a fluke" you would have to be kidding...
While I do agree that Gilchrist has often saved Australia from tough positions, I think that 5/250 is not as tough a position for Australia as is made out to be. Given their bowling attack, I think 5/250 is a more than decent position. Maybe we should calculate for 5/150. But I do agree that Gilchrist has saved Australia from tough spots quite a few times. But, as the guy who started the thread said, he has always played himself in to an extent, before he has gone after the bowling. Maybe it was his bad form and confidence that made him go for his shots so early. Anyways, I wouldn't drop him on the basis of just one series. He is the last person I would drop from this Aussie side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
# When Ponting was asked if he was going to be the 1st captain in 18 years to lose the Ashes.....he laughed out loud
Did it occur to you that perhaps he was laughing because he thought the question was amusing as he had never thought of it that way, rather than because he thought it was impossible that Australia would lose?

tooextracool

International Coach
The Maestro said:
# 1st reason….. simply has to be stated how bloody good this English unit is. Not only from a talent and cricketing ability standpoint but the way they have refused to be psychologically dominated like many teams facing the Aussies have other the past 6 years or so. Hayden and Gillies stand and deliver batting styles, pre-series shows of arrogance via bold predictions and Lees menace of 150 KMHR bouncers and beamers have had little affect here

# Dropped catches. I cant remember seeing so many catches put down by an Australian team in a series. And in their most important series for some is a strange time to start dropping them. Not sure whats up with that. Suspect an abhorrance of being stood up to at last

# Bad fast bowling.. Tait is rubbish and wont be seen again. Gillespes days of talent less but gutsy bowling have reached its end. It’s a credit to him he got as far as he did. Im still a fan of Kaspa but I suspect hes a player that feeds off confidence. McGrath talked himself up as usual and delivered 1st test then has done little. Rested on his laurels and then arrogantly played injured in a test just because he wanted to and no one had the balls to stand up to him. Absurb

# Not playing Stuart McGill…Is it just me or is it obvious that England's possible only Achilles heel is legspin.

# Sheer arrogance of Australian cricket in general. Turning up in England and talking about 5-0 was LOL. They are lucky its not 1-3 now and England would have just a good a chance of winning this test as Aus. 1-4 did you mean Glenn?

# The following players have played like Apes.

Gilchrist--wants to wallop the ball everywhere no matter what style of batting his team requires. Will score a quick 20 if hes lucky then get out, His attitude with the bat has let Australia down badly and once again at what a critical time. Average keeping by his standards. Only thing I can think of is the years of cricket have jaded him, wouldn’t be surprised if he declared his retirement soon

Ponting. One great knock but totally lost his cool. Was never a captain of any ability anyway. Warne should have been skipper years ago

Hayden. A bully who cant stand up when bullied back. Career is over

Martyn. Unlucky at times but still poor returns> Career is over

Katich/Clarke. Not up to it
so 11 changes to the aussie side for the super series then?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
The Maestro said:
Arrogance =

# Turning up to what many people are predicting is going to be the toughest series you have faced for some time....and predicting you will win 5-0...and then losing 2-1 .......as comprehensively as 2-1 gets

# Gilchrists batting in tight situations

Not sure why you have a problem with my use of the word ARROGANCE there? :unsure:
It was only McGrath who said 5-0, and as he has said before himself, a lot of what he says is half serious. Part of any Ashes build up is Pidgeon's predictions and whom he's targeting, it wouldn't be the same without it. Gilchrist came up against a man in the form of his life, and lost the battle. He failed, he's failed before and turned it around. Australia played their part in an enthralling series, and anyone who watched it closely knows that a win or draw for them in the series was never too far away from them.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Forget domination - to be considered a bona fide good team ( for eg, PAK of the 80s or RSA of the 90s) they have to do a lot more than win just against the minnows....they have beaten OZ, RSA and NZ amongst the top nations during their rise and NZ is a totally different team without Bond, while RSA have declined a LOT. For them to be considered a good team, they have to beat India- atleast at home, while winning at home against SL as well.....right now, England has genuine claims to be the #2 side ( IMO the issue will be decieded in IND 2006) but they arnt a very good team - I would be inclined to pick the English team of the early 80s over this lot so far and that team wasnt very good either.
Sorry, but the England side of the early 80's weren't as good as the current side. Look past the big names and check what they actually achieved - and there wasn't a lot.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
They have been playing well since Zimbabwe came to England in May 2003.
Since then, England have Played 29 tests and won 20 of them, losing 4 and drawing five.
Six of those wins came against zimbabwe and bangladesh and seven of those came against the woeful west indies.

I am sorry but England really hasnt achieved much and still has a LOT to achieve. After feasting predominantly on minnows and almost-minnows(west indies), while having very few quality players,England is putting up such a fight against Australia - definite overachievement for me.
Can I say here and now that someone has hacked C_C's sign-on?

He often talks an awful lot of sense, but the bonehead who wrote this piece of ridiculous garbage seems to know absolutely nothing about cricket. You play your opponents - and England have done that pretty well in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.