• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Australia have lost the Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
The Maestro said:
Katich/Clarke. Not up to it
So Clarke's not up to it is he? Our young 23 year old who I guess should be compared with England's young bat...........Bell is it?

So I assume you're dumping Bell too then?

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
He hasnt been up to it in THIS SERIES...note my thread title WHY AUS HAVE LOST THE ASHES

quit isolating my posts, using them out of context and then putting words in my mouth....Bell? What the hell has he got to do with anything :blink:

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
The Maestro said:
He isnt up to it

quit isolating my posts, using them out of context and then putting words in my mouth....your struggling :P
I wouldn't know how to isolate your posts or take them out of context but I disagree with your assessment that Clarke isn't up to it based on one series.

Just interested....why is a kiwi so angry and bitter about us Aussies? Surely you're not still dirty about the last few Rugby World Cups are you?

I'm surprised you're even into cricket actually.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
He hasnt been up to it in THIS SERIES...note my thread title WHY AUS HAVE LOST THE ASHES

quit isolating my posts, using them out of context and then putting words in my mouth....Bell? What the hell has he got to do with anything :blink:
How has Clarke not been up to it this series? :blink:

Have you even watched the games? He's been one of the most impressive Australian batsmen. 91 at Lords? A tough 50 in a vital stand with Katich at Trent Bridge? He's not set the world alight or anything but to suggest he's "not up to it" is utterly ludicrous.

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Maestro said:
Those 5000 runs have mostly been scored batting when Aus have been the kings of world cricket and often in a good position already.

My point is not Flame-baiting, its that under these circumstances which their most treasured trophy at stake not to mention their undisputed no 1 ranking Gillys batting has been utterly selfish and reckless. He doesnt always bat that way. Ive seen him many a time take a reasonably measured approach (stil 30 off 45) to play himself in before producing those highly effective heaves and strong arm slashes

In this series......under the gun and out of form.....hes tried it from the start

I honstly think he's lost real interest which may also explain his walking thing. Gilly to retire
He's walked for the past few years... he's going through a tough time atm, it hasn't happened to him for ages.. so to drop him after 1 lean series is ridiculous..

C_C

International Captain
The primary cause of their loss is the unavailability of McGrath for 2 matches and him limping through another couple along with the worst patch Gillespie has probably ever endured.
The secondary cause is English players massively overachieving this series, particularly Tresco and their bowling.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
Australia have lost the Ashes because the reverse swingers of Flintoff & Harmison were too good for their batsmen to play.
get your facts right dawg.....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
Those 5000 runs have mostly been scored batting when Aus have been the kings of world cricket and often in a good position already.

My point is not Flame-baiting, its that under these circumstances which their most treasured trophy at stake not to mention their undisputed no 1 ranking Gillys batting has been utterly selfish and reckless. He doesnt always bat that way. Ive seen him many a time take a reasonably measured approach (stil 30 off 45) to play himself in before producing those highly effective heaves and strong arm slashes

In this series......under the gun and out of form.....hes tried it from the start

I honstly think he's lost real interest which may also explain his walking thing. Gilly to retire
mate your of the hizzle go drink a sleep pizzle, gilly's is selfish & he's going to retire total crap mayn....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
He hasnt been up to it in THIS SERIES...note my thread title WHY AUS HAVE LOST THE ASHES:
really mayn, Clarke has batted pretty dalm well in this series he has had many starts he just hasn't converted them, i dont know how you can say he isn't up to it.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
OK then.....my assesment of Clarke is a touch on the harsh side....what about the rest?

rugby? I dont care much about rugby, I like football

Entreal I never said drop gilly

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
OK then.....my assesment of Clarke is a touch on the harsh side....what about the rest?

rugby? I dont care much about rugby, I like football

Entreal I never said drop gilly
The others? Well I don't think McGrath, Warne, Clarke, Langer, Ponting or Lee can be faulted really. Gillespie and Kasprowicz were extremely disappointing, Tait's shown a bit and should be persisted with, Hayden's been a massive disappointment but his effort at The Oval was stellar and he should be given a chance ot keep playing like that during the Australian summer, Martyn's been disapponting despite his bad luck but his excellent record should see him stay in the team, Katich has been up and down and needs to string a few good performances together to cement his place in the team ahead of guys like Hodge and Watson.

Katich and Hayden are the only ones who haven't already been dropped who should be at risk in the short term. Both of them will still be there in a few months though.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
The primary cause of their loss is the unavailability of McGrath for 2 matches and him limping through another couple along with the worst patch Gillespie has probably ever endured.
The secondary cause is English players massively overachieving this series, particularly Tresco and their bowling.
I agree with the first point...

However, I dont agree with the second.Anyone who has watched England play over the last 18 months will know this is how England can play..there is no 'overacheiving' about it in my book.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
wrong, he averages above 50 when coming in with Australia 5 down for under 250. that suggests hes plyed quite well when coming in under pressure, this series everyone knows hes been down on form, but this is not the Gilchrist we know.

Funny how when the series started we were being told how great form Gilchrist was in then isn't it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Ah, that's a new one.

They continue to perform as they have been for a long long time now, and it's still "overachieving"

How long do they have to continue to play like this in order to get some credit for their talent?

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
He tried being circumspect. Remember the 40 odd he made at quite a sedate pace for him? It didn't work.

If he'd mucked around and tried to get set and failed people would be berating him for not playing his natural game. The fact is he tried several things throughout the tour but aside from that one game at The Oval where he smashed a century he's struggled in both the ODIs and the tests due to poor form and some excellent planned bowling from Flintoff.
I don't really understand this point. It's his highest score in the series, which would suggest it worked relatively well and should have been persisted with.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Ah, that's a new one.

They continue to perform as they have been for a long long time now, and it's still "overachieving"

How long do they have to continue to play like this in order to get some credit for their talent?

They have been playing well since Zimbabwe came to England in May 2003.
Since then, England have Played 29 tests and won 20 of them, losing 4 and drawing five.
Six of those wins came against zimbabwe and bangladesh and seven of those came against the woeful west indies.

I am sorry but England really hasnt achieved much and still has a LOT to achieve. After feasting predominantly on minnows and almost-minnows(west indies), while having very few quality players,England is putting up such a fight against Australia - definite overachievement for me.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
They have been playing well since Zimbabwe came to England in May 2003.
Since then, England have Played 29 tests and won 20 of them, losing 4 and drawing five.
Six of those wins came against zimbabwe and bangladesh and seven of those came against the woeful west indies.

I am sorry but England really hasnt achieved much and still has a LOT to achieve. After feasting predominantly on minnows and almost-minnows(west indies), while having very few quality players,England is putting up such a fight against Australia - definite overachievement for me.
I dont really know what more England could have done..have beaten WI(home and away),NZ(home),SA(away), and now probably Australia....'England really hasnt achieved much'...sorry I dont really know what more they could have done!!!

Since the start of 2003, England have played 35 tests and won 23..ok take the 6 tests out vs B'desh and Zimb....29 tests, 17 wins,5 losses and 6 drawn....its actually a record comparable to the WI when they were (results wise) at their peak (mid 80's)...and even then WI's record was boosted by playing the two worst teams (other than Sri lanka) in the world quite a lot then (England and Australia)

What more does this team have to do to prove they deserve all the success they have had???

We all know the sub continent tour is going to be tough, but probably if there is one team in the world at the moment who can rise to that challenge its England..and even if they do poorly over there, that still wont take away from the acheivemnts they have carried out in the last couple of years

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
England 5 down at lunch. We Aussies haven't quite lost those Ashes yet.

Still, regardless of the result - I would like to congratulate England for the way they have played this series. In 2007 they will put up an even better fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.