• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you select at #3 for Australia at home this summer?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Boof doesn't like him I don't think. His domestic runs are all opening so i would bat him there after Rogers goes. Nfi what the selectors will do. Either Watson or a funky selection like Maxwell.

I wouldn't mind them taking an in form Shield bat but they are in a drop fast mode and Twatto is a better than a quick promote and dump. If they want to sit back and wait for a Shield bat to make a name then he makes sense. I can see him for Doolan as the only batting change.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FMD do I lose track with Hughes. He's in the 'earmarked' stage of the cycle again is he?

Crazy to think he's the same bloke who scored all those runs in SA way back in 2008/9.

Players to have their entire career since then:

Angelo Mathews
Jonathan Trott
Saeed Ajmal
Alviro Petersen
Ryan Harris
Azhar Ali
that is amazing

DriveClub

International Regular
I'd back Shaun Marsh and give him an extended run, he's a 100 or 0 player, if given some time in the side I think he can develope his game and find a middle gear I feel, he doesn't have an obvious weakness except the mental side of batting. Dooleys and Hughesy I don't think will come good in the long term.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'd back Shaun Marsh and give him an extended run, he's a 100 or 0 player, if given some time in the side I think he can develope his game and find a middle gear I feel, he doesn't have an obvious weakness except the mental side of batting. Dooleys and Hughesy I don't think will come good in the long term.
Its well documented how few tons Marsh has scored so to say hes a 100 or 0 player is wrong.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its well documented how few tons Marsh has scored so to say hes a 100 or 0 player is wrong.
Yep, Hughes is a much better bet if you want famine or feast

Marsh lives in the bloody Gobi and makes a Honk Kong shop-over about once every 3 years

harsh.ag

Of Doolan, Hughes, and Shaun Marsh, who is ahead in the mind of the Oz selectors as of now?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watson then Doolan.

Part of me think that this would be Hughes' time to shine though.

Also his chance to run some blokes out...

Gnske

Of Doolan, Hughes, and Shaun Marsh, who is ahead in the mind of the Oz selectors as of now?
The cancer is probably in mind for no 3 above all of them. Marsh might make the world cup squad knowing our selectors but no further. As for Hughes i'd imagine he can't be very far away from opening again but he's not there yet, Rogers quite literally has a string of thread hanging on to his spot right now.

harsh.ag

So we will soon have a (Warner, Hughes) pair opening for Australia (even if Rogers survives for now, in light of his age).

And when Clarke goes (which I think is not that far away unfortunately), we have Watson, Doolan, and Smith in the middle order, with maybe Doolan being replaced by one of Khawaja or Shaun Marsh. Then brother Marsh at 6.

Would be interesting this side. I think the most important thing will be how Doolan/Khawaja/Marsh do. On that hangs Australia's medium term batting future.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Wouldn't be surprised to see Watson retire from Tests before too long given his injury history. If so it makes getting at least one of the "failures" (Hughes, S Marsh, Khawaja, Doolan etc) established in the side sooner than later quite important with Rogers, Clarke, Watson and Haddin all potentially retiring or getting dropped within a year of each other.

Ultimately it makes this Shield season quite important for the guys on the fringe (Burns, Lynn, Carters and Cooper etc) getting themselves a solid run if they do well. They're all at the point in their careers where they should be stepping up a notch as well.

IMO for Australia to remain strong through the transition Hughes is the key. If he can bring his First Class performances to Test level alongside Smith and Warner it'll take a lot of pressure off of the guys coming in. This also hinges on Mitchell Marsh not being turgid either.

Otherwise we'll just have to wait for Jake Doran to get a call up. :p

uvelocity

International Coach
Wouldn't be surprised to see Watson retire from Tests before too long given his injury history. If so it makes getting at least one of the "failures" (Hughes, S Marsh, Khawaja, Doolan etc) established in the side sooner than later quite important with Rogers, Clarke, Watson and Haddin all potentially retiring or getting dropped within a year of each other.

Ultimately it makes this Shield season quite important for the guys on the fringe (Burns, Lynn, Carters and Cooper etc) getting themselves a solid run if they do well. They're all at the point in their careers where they should be stepping up a notch as well.

IMO for Australia to remain strong through the transition Hughes is the key. If he can bring his First Class performances to Test level alongside Smith and Warner it'll take a lot of pressure off of the guys coming in. This also hinges on Mitchell Marsh not being turgid either.

Otherwise we'll just have to wait for Jake Doran to get a call up. :p
reckon watson will stick around for some time yet, but with the young quicks getting more experienced he wont be required to bowl anywhere near as much

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Phil Hughes of course so he can cash in against **** Indian seamers and fool selectors into retaining him for the Ashes where he'll be sorted out as usual.