• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you pick to bat for your life?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hobbs only pass 200 once in Tests? It's bizarre that he's such a popular bet.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hobbs only pass 200 once in Tests? It's bizarre that he's such a popular bet.
Most have picked him for scenario 1 where scoring 200 doesn't matter.
Not too sure how often he would have batted a full day either, but Hobbs rules OK.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, scoring a double century is so rare that it's far from a guarantee for even those who've done it a lot. So I just went by my opinion of the best batsmen of all time after Bradman (which I think were Hobbs and Sobers), and picked them. A couple people picked Waugh even though he doesn't have a single double, but I don't think thats a horrible pick either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, scoring a double century is so rare that it's far from a guarantee for even those who've done it a lot. So I just went by my opinion of the best batsmen of all time after Bradman (which I think were Hobbs and Sobers), and picked them. A couple people picked Waugh even though he doesn't have a single double, but I don't think thats a horrible pick either.
But in scenarios like this, surely what they did in their career of often 10-15+ years should be the biggest factor?

If a batsman has scored 2-3 double tons, where as others haven't, you choose the one that has been there and done it, and is a proven performer in that specific niche area.

If you want a double ton for example, and you had to choose between Sehwag and Kallis, who would you choose? If a solid 175 isn't good enough, and you need 200, I'd choose Sehwag. But Kallis is obviously the better batsman.

subshakerz

International Coach
Waugh scored 200 vs. the West Indies in 1995.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One thing to do is that two of the modern bowlers (Warne and Murali) both have been handled well by Australian players and Indian players. Especially the Australian players regarding Murali, so it wouldn't be out of place to put one modern Aussie in there somewhere.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But there are some batsmen, who though great, are (or were) never likely to score double hundreds. A great batsman is not, by default, capable of scoring a double hundred. There's a lot more than skill involved in it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You can't pick Bradman for any of them.
Oh :laugh: , you're right. I just read the scenarios not the bottom part.

In Scenario 2 then I'd pick Dravid and Lara.

Both have posted quite a few double centuries and against tough opposition as well. Whilst Dravid can 'wall' it out Lara has the footwork and flair necessary to keep him on top of the bowlers/pitch.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scenario 1: Their job is to not get out for two days. Runs are unimportant, they just cannot get out.
- Hanif Mohammad and Sunil Gavaskar
Scenario 2: Their job is to score a double century each in those two days. They may get out after scoring a double.
- Brian Lara & Wally Hammond
Scenario 3: Pick the same two above scenarios but the players can't be from the country you support (and can't be Bradman).
- Brian Lara & Wally Hammond

ret

International Debutant
If I had to pick one batsman who would bat for my life then he would be -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> ret :D

can't think of anyone better than me to play for my life :p