• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you pick in the Greatest Cricket XI of YOUR Lifetime?

Slifer

International Captain
Watching live (started in 1992):

Hayden
Anwar
Ponting*
Lara
SRT
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Akram
Ambrose
Donald
Mcgrath

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Test:
Hayden
Slater (not the greatest but was my favourite player growing up)
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Dravid
+Gilchrist
Akram
Warne (c)
Ambrose
McGrath

12th Jonty Rhodes

ODI:
Jayasuria
+Gilchrist (c)
Lara
Tendulkar
S Waugh
J Rhodes
A Symonds
W Akram
S Mushtaq
A Donald
G McGrath

12th B Lee

Went Brett Lee over Shane Bond for 12th man because he is the better fielder, he has also played a lot more ODI cricket.

gimmethebat

Cricket Spectator
Test:
Hayden
Slater (not the greatest but was my favourite player growing up)
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Dravid
+Gilchrist
Akram
Warne (c)
Ambrose
McGrath

12th Jonty Rhodes

ODI:
Jayasuria
+Gilchrist (c)
Lara
Tendulkar
S Waugh
J Rhodes
A Symonds
W Akram
S Mushtaq
A Donald
G McGrath

12th B Lee

Went Brett Lee over Shane Bond for 12th man because he is the better fielder, he has also played a lot more ODI cricket.
ODI
Adam Gilchrist
Sanath Jayasuriya
Michael Bevan
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glen Mcgrath

Matt79

Global Moderator
ODIs
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
Waugh
Symonds
Bevan
Kluesener
Warne
Lee/Bond/Wasim
McGrath
Bracken

Sorry for the wuss on making a call on Lee vs Bond. I've lumped Wasim in due to his record, although by some freak chance I don't think I ever saw a game that he did well in - so to include him above Lee who I have see be brilliant.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1994 onwards...

1. Hayden
2. Smith
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Ponting
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist
8. Pollock
9. Warne
10. Murali
11. McGrath

Graeme Smith is slightly contreversial, but I can't think of many better openers in my timeframe.

Also apologies to Waugh, Akram, Donald, Ambrose, etc.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Started watching the game from around 1996. First game I watched live from the ground was the Ind-Pak game where Anwar hit 194 in Chennai.

From what I can remember:

ODIs

Matthew Hayden
Adam Gilchrist
Sachin Tendulkar
Inzamam Ul Haq [C]
Brian Lara
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Wasim Akram
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Glenn McGrath

Tests:

Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Andy Flower [Wk]
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Brian Lara
Chris Cairns
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Muthiah Muralitharan
Curtly Ambrose

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i love your one-day team. nos 5,6,7,8 and 9 will rain sixers. so will no.2. 1 and 3 will hold the innings together. and 4 can support the big hitters and keep nudging his ones and twos. lots of bowling options too. two of the greatest one day bowlers at 9 and 11 and a very good one at no.10. 3 fast bowling all rounders to complete the remaining 20 overs. and three batsmen who can chip in with off spin, leg spin and left arm spin for variety. superb fielding team as well.
Word...wanted to open will Lara/Tendy, but i eased off the temptation!!!

tooextracool

International Coach
Well I am going to go with 92 onwards cause that is when I started watching cricket:

Tendulkar - Couldnt find any other place to fit him into the side, Im confident he is good enough to bat anywhere in the batting order
Sehwag - I've increasingly grown fond of the idea of having an aggressive opening pair, because I think the best way to unsettle a bowler and get him off him his rhythm is to be aggressive, not to mention of course that Sehwag like Slater has the potential to take away a game if he batted for 2 sessions on the opening day.
Dravid - Dont think I need to say anything here, Id pick 6 Dravids and Lara if I could.
Lara - IMO the greatest batsman I have seen play live.
Waugh - The man for a crisis.
Flower - Personally think he is a better batsman than Gilchrist against quality bowling, be it spin or pace.
Flintoff - Wasnt sure whether to go for an extra batsman or for an all rounder, but I think the pace bowling needed a boost so opted for the bowling all-rounder
Warne (c) - Greatest spin bowler I have seen
Mcgrath - The most intelligent pace bowler I have seen
Waqar - The deadliest pace bowler ever
Murali - no explanations needed.

Honorable mention - Inzamam ul-haq

gimmethebat

Cricket Spectator
best X1

Well I am going to go with 92 onwards cause that is when I started watching cricket:

Tendulkar - Couldnt find any other place to fit him into the side, Im confident he is good enough to bat anywhere in the batting order
Sehwag - I've increasingly grown fond of the idea of having an aggressive opening pair, because I think the best way to unsettle a bowler and get him off him his rhythm is to be aggressive, not to mention of course that Sehwag like Slater has the potential to take away a game if he batted for 2 sessions on the opening day.
Dravid - Dont think I need to say anything here, Id pick 6 Dravids and Lara if I could.
Lara - IMO the greatest batsman I have seen play live.
Waugh - The man for a crisis.
Flower - Personally think he is a better batsman than Gilchrist against quality bowling, be it spin or pace.
Flintoff - Wasnt sure whether to go for an extra batsman or for an all rounder, but I think the pace bowling needed a boost so opted for the bowling all-rounder
Warne (c) - Greatest spin bowler I have seen
Mcgrath - The most intelligent pace bowler I have seen
Waqar - The deadliest pace bowler ever
Murali - no explanations needed.

Honorable mention - Inzamam ul-haq
Wouldn't argue with anyones opinion without a solid reason, but you're footnote about the most overrated is a little askance. I'm assuming you were born late 70's early 80's, if 1992 is when you started watching cricket, so here is where I think you have it slightly wrong. You certainly never saw Johnny Haynes playing, and you wouldn't have seen that much of Glenn Hoddle. They are the only 2 players that are remotely comparable with David Beckham in the passing stakes on a football pitch. Add to that, Beckhams desire and work rate, and he comes out far superior to either of them. He has never had any pace to speak of, nor is he blessed with the skill of a Ronaldo or a Messi, but you wouldn't see either of them playing at right back in a crisis ( Beckham versus Greece with the great free-kick in the last minute ). Never the greatest player, but definitely not overrated. Not a bad cricket X1 though !!!

g_s007

Cricket Spectator
the test 11 after 96' could be.

astle ----- dono i like him
kirsten
dravid
lara
s.waugh
cairns
gilchrist
akram
macgrath
warne
walsh/murali (depending on the condtion).

could'nt find place - anwar,d'silva,kumble,donald.

i don't think sachin deserves a place in all time test team as he has not won many matches. same applys for ponting.

for odi's it would be.

sachin
anwar
ponting
lara
inzamam
b.macmillan
gilchrist
saqlain
macgrath
akram
murali

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
the test 11 after 96' could be.

astle ----- dono i like him
kirsten
dravid
lara
s.waugh
cairns
gilchrist
akram
macgrath
warne
walsh/murali (depending on the condtion).

could'nt find place - anwar,d'silva,kumble,donald.

i don't think sachin deserves a place in all time test team as he has not won many matches. same applys for ponting.

for odi's it would be.

sachin
anwar
ponting
lara
inzamam
b.macmillan
gilchrist
saqlain
macgrath
akram
murali
Every now and then a post appears which makes you genuinely fear for the future of our Planet.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For some strange reason Nathan Astle's career record includes the performances of a bloke, purportedly, of the same name who played for Lancashire in 2006. It's fair to say that that Nathan Astle did try and dupe people into believing he was the highly regarded NZ test player but it was patently obvious to anyone who saw him play that he couldn't have been - his stats really should have been amended by now

g_s007

Cricket Spectator
For some strange reason Nathan Astle's career record includes the performances of a bloke, purportedly, of the same name who played for Lancashire in 2006. It's fair to say that that Nathan Astle did try and dupe people into believing he was the highly regarded NZ test player but it was patently obvious to anyone who saw him play that he couldn't have been - his stats really should have been amended by now
i din't pick him for any of the reason u jotted. my selections are all on how i enjoyed watching
them.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Don't mock old Nath. If you want someone to fool you into believing they're a class batsman by slogging a meaningless double century in a lost cause on the ground the size of a tennis court, he's your man.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden
Kirsten
Ponting
Lara
Crowe (favourite cricketer ever)
Tendulkar
Cairns
Gilchrist
Warne
Wasim