• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Would you have Bat for your Life

Who would you have to bat for your life

• Justin Langer

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Damien Martyn

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Stephen Fleming

• Michael Vaughan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Strauss

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Brian Lara

• Jacques Kallis

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Graham Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pinkline Jones said:
Can't go past Chopper Read. Chop Chop.
he'd certainly know how to "hold up" proceedings and "take the life" out of the game. but it wouldn't necessarily be boring. i reckon he'd bring home the cash. "cash, not here, no cash here jonno" (irreverant quote from the movie)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
If my life depended on the batter not getting out I'd go for Dravid without question.

If I were selecting an Englishman tho....probably Strauss just now, although he showed a few signs in the ODIs that his purple patch myabe coming to its end.
Because ODIs have so much to do with Tests, don't they?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
Let's pretend we're not trying to commit suicide here and say Glenn McGrath...

Anyway.. With Steve Waugh now off the scene (and I think most would rate him as the bloke you'd have bat for your life) who now takes that mantle off him... This is the sorta bloke that when the chips are really down simply will be the hardest and most dogged to get out and not throw their wicket away....

Let the posting begin...

For me it would have to now be Justin Langer...
In pressure situations Justin's great. He's not pretty to watch but neither was Waugh and has an uncanny will to survive... I'll never forget it when he got Australia over the line with Gilly against the Pakies...
I'd take Rahul "The Wall" every time.
Stephen Waugh with more style - to coin a Rahul Bhattayacha phrase.
Jacques Kallis wouldn't be an enormous distance behind, though.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I couldn't bear it if a non-Lancastrian was batting for my life, so I'd choose Mark Chilton.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Kallis. Without a trace of doubt.
Yep, Mr. JH Kallis for me too, he is so selfish with his wicket that i would put my heart infront of his stumps and be about 95% sure that he wont get blowned up.

An Up and coming player who also loves his wicket is Ian Bell and i have not seen much of this guy but also, Hamish Marshal [the middle order rock that NZ badly need].

How come Thorpie is not on this list, he is definitely safer than the likes of Smith.

from the alltime list, i would definitely have Gavaskar or if an Englishman then the great perfectionist, Geoff Boycott

tooextracool

International Coach
rahul dravid, followed by daylight, followed by kallis.
im a little surprised that kallis is all of a sudden on par with dravid, when not long ago people were talking about how his record was incredibly boosted by performances against the lesser teams. yea yea i think hes a great player and what not, but its just a little shocking that someone who averages 32 against australia, 35 against pakistan and 33 against SL is now batting for peoples lives.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'd agree with everything TEC said. Kallis, while very impressive against England, hasn't done too well against the Aussies and that has to be the ultiimate test for a batsman.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
And for an all time list, Viv Richards. Ofcourse I could have put Bradman, but there's little to no point in that... and I've seen way more of Richards.

tooextracool

International Coach
viv richards is one player i would never put to bat for my life. as fine a player as he was, he had the tendency to throw his wicket away on a number of occasions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The less important it was, the less Richards could usually be bothered.
Far more ability than Ricky Ponting, but if he would ever have been bothered to play the innings Ponting played on a sopping wet night in Durham in September in England I'd eat my computer.