• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Would you have Bat for your Life

Who would you have to bat for your life

• Justin Langer

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Damien Martyn

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Stephen Fleming

• Michael Vaughan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Strauss

• Rahul Dravid

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Brian Lara

• Jacques Kallis

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Graham Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
Ray Hadley said:
Perhaps you have a point John, either way it would make great theatre. Perhaps they could include it in the opening ceremony for the Commonwealth games next year?
A brilliant idea Ray. If you decide to promote the idea you can count me in. Ill be more than happy to use my influence within media circles to get the whole industry behind it.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
John Laws CBE said:
A brilliant idea Ray. If you decide to promote the idea you can count me in. Ill be more than happy to use my influence within media circles to get the whole industry behind it.
I'm sure it will raise the profile of what is already a magnificent event. I've been to a few of these, so I know what I'm on about. Your support will be of great value.

Belford

Banned
Harry Madden

I am embracing this idea, much like I embraced (name omitted for legal reasons) in that (name omitted for legal reasons) in (name omitted for legal reasons) all those years ago.

In fact, I am going to send Harry Madden a detailed email on the subject of introducing "Bat For Your Life" as an exhibition sport at the 2006 Commonwealth Games. If he doesn't go for the idea, then he will lose my support altogether.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
Belford said:
I am embracing this idea, much like I embraced (name omitted for legal reasons) in that (name omitted for legal reasons) in (name omitted for legal reasons) all those years ago.

In fact, I am going to send Harry Madden a detailed email on the subject of introducing "Bat For Your Life" as an exhibition sport at the 2006 Commonwealth Games. If he doesn't go for the idea, then he will lose my support altogether.
If you do not get a satisfactory response from Madden let me know will you Belford. If Justin doesn't get behind this he'll lose me and a few others that I won't name right now.

Blaze

Banned
Belford said:

What area in Christchurch do you live in?

Belford

Banned
Desist

1/ Cnr. Avonside Drive and Stanmore Road

2/ Not sure if you have much experience on these internet forums, but etiquette-wise, attempting to find out personal details about other posters is a big no-no. If you continue in this vein, I will need to alert the moderators about your inappropriate behaviour.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would pick Dravid.

On another note, I guess the fact that Lara and Sachin are strokeplayers, who MAY play their strokes even if the situation was grave has weighed against them. But I agree it is an insult to them when you have guys like Smith and Strauss and Vaughan up there and not them. I think they are more dependable than Vaughan, any day of the week.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
Blaze said:
I used to live in Avonside. Just refresh my memory again.. what street is the park in in avonside?
Lovely place Christchurch. I was there for the Games in '74. That's why I'm onto this, I think it'll make them in 2006.

Belford

Banned
Not bad

It's not a bad town to look at, Ray, but not my first choice of a city to live. We had to move here for work reasons.

People aren't up to much. Too much whinging for mine. Real chip-on-the-shoulder problem, the Kiwis. No sense of humour and no proper sporting culture.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
Belford said:
It's not a bad town to look at, Ray, but not my first choice of a city to live. We had to move here for work reasons.

People aren't up to much. Too much whinging for mine. Real chip-on-the-shoulder problem, the Kiwis. No sense of humour and no proper sporting culture.
I wouldn't live there either Belford. It's pretty hard to understand that accent down in the south. They have a chip on both shoulders down there as well, because they don't have a lot to get excited about I suppose and have nothing to hang their hat on. Everyone knows Auckland is where everything is in NZ and even it has very little of consequence.

Belford

Banned
Auckland = Dorkland

Yes, Auckland. Never thought I would visit a city that could rival Adelaide for sheer boringness and totally unwarranted self-importance, but Auckland does.

"Ponsonby is New Zealand's St Kilda", the deluded Kiwis tell me. No it is not. It is New Zealand's Shepparton mall on a wet Tuesday afternoon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:p
C_C said:
Hit or Miss ?
You are talkin about the top two batsmen since the peak of Viv Richards here......

When Kallis manages to average atleast 40 against a good/great bowling team, you can get back to me. So far he has been owned by the pakistanis(when the two Ws were playing) and Australia....

Lara and Tendulkar have done better against quality bowling attack for ANYONE bar Steve Waugh in the past 15 years or so.

Lara's consistency ( 50+ score rate) is 36.54% and Tendulkar's is 37.30%
The only ones in the list that compares are Dravid with 36.30% and Kallis with 36.73%

Ponting is at 34.05 and he is near them as well i suppose.
As for the rest, it is an insult to Lara and Tendulkar to include newbies like Smith or Strauss ahead of them..and it is insulting to them to even THINK that merely good players like Vaughan even a very good Martyn even comes anywhere CLOSE to them.
As per Flemmo....well i can think of a dozen batsmen active TODAY that i would take ahead of Flemmo.
I actually agree with you there. People often seem to think that because of Lara's flamboyant technique, he is more likely to be dismissed, but people forget players like him and Sachin have become successful and are acclaimed as the best batsmen in the world for the reason of their immense run scoring ability. How is that done? By not getting out obviously.

Just because these batsman aren't known for occupying the crease and batting at a slow rate doesn't take away from their ability to stay out their in the middle. They just happen to score more runs whilst they're out there.

That being said, I'd still choose Dravid :p But I'd choose Sachin and Lara over most of that list including Kallis. If McGrath and Gillespie were bowling to my batsman of choice, I'd feel more comfortable with Sachin or Lara.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Jono said:
:p
I actually agree with you there. People often seem to think that because of Lara's flamboyant technique, he is more likely to be dismissed, but people forget players like him and Sachin have become successful and are acclaimed as the best batsmen in the world for the reason of their immense run scoring ability. How is that done? By not getting out obviously.

Just because these batsman aren't known for occupying the crease and batting at a slow rate doesn't take away from their ability to stay out their in the middle. They just happen to score more runs whilst they're out there.

That being said, I'd still choose Dravid :p But I'd choose Sachin and Lara over most of that list including Kallis. If McGrath and Gillespie were bowling to my batsman of choice, I'd feel more comfortable with Sachin or Lara.
That's funny because Gillespie has had the wood on Sachin quite a bit and McGrath on Lara...

you could probably say Mcgrath has done very well against Sachin as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eclipse said:
That's funny because Gillespie has had the wood on Sachin quite a bit and McGrath on Lara...
Granted Lara has been dismissed by McGrath several times, but he has also played some epic innings against him. I'd call that rivalry even.