• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you bring back from retirement?

Bijed

International Regular
The opening will sort itself out imo. #5 has been a concern for a while with Jinks turning mediocre. Gavaskar adds more steel than Tendulkar and Laxman isn't at the same level.
Whilst I'd never argue that Tendulkar/Laxman aren't better than Rahane, I thought that come out of his slump pretty well recently? Or did he fade again after a bit of a resurgence?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst I'd never argue that Tendulkar/Laxman aren't better than Rahane, I thought that come out of his slump pretty well recently? Or did he fade again after a bit of a resurgence?
He had scores of 46, 29, 7, and 9 in NZ so still did better than Kohli.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had a good 2019 but it's too early to say whether he'll be able to sustain it, was rubbish in NZ mind you.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More than anything else, his technique is shot.

Hope he comes back strong but I definitely favour Shaw, Rohit, and Vihari over him right now.

OverratedSanity

Gavaskar would be such a massive improvement over the current openers that he seems the most obvious choice tbh. Dravid would be pretty great too. You stick him at 3 in the current team and put him in the slips instead of any of the idiots who pretend to be good catchers right now and India win that series in England. Tendulkar too but Kohli's ego probably takes a hit by having to bat lower down.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Would you have beaten aus with out pujara at 3? He would probably have missed out that series if you have dravid as his form was awful

TheJediBrah

Can you imagine Dravid and Pujara batting 3 and 4. India bat first and declare at 2-300 by stumps on day 3.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, but they would have crushed the will of the fielding team so much that they will get bowled out for 100 and 100 in the next 4 sessions.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I remember ths old forward that used to do the rounds on SMS in the mid noughties during my college days...

The Mantras of the Indian batsmen -

Sourav Ganguly: Do or Die.
Virender Sehwag: Do before you die.
Rahul Dravid: Do until they die.
Sachin Tendulkar: Do but don't die.
VVS Laxman: Do when everyone else dies.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Can you imagine Dravid and Pujara batting 3 and 4. India bat first and declare at 2-300 by stumps on day 3.
Both Dravid and Pujara were masters of progressively improving their strike rate. If they bat long enough, lets say 150 odd, very rarely they would go at a strike rate less than 45-50.

Innings like 5(50), 10(70) or 50(150) give us the impression that they were always dour and slow scoring.