• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would win a test series between England and West Indies if play started tomorrow?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why, because both of us allowed Sri Lanka to draw an away series after losing a Test, something that had never happened before and then happened twice in 5 months?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's an inescapable fact that we're really rather plop at ODIs & have been for years for that matter, but I'm fairly confident we'd beat the Windies in a test series. We got mullered 5-0 by Sri Lanka in our summer and still came back to beat Pakistan in the tests afterwards.

Presumably we'd also have Cook, Hoggard & Harmison back and players like Bell and Panesar seem better suited to the longer game too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's an inescapable fact that we're really rather plop at ODIs & have been for years for that matter, but I'm fairly confident we'd beat the Windies in a test series. We got mullered 5-0 by Sri Lanka in our summer and still came back to beat Pakistan in the tests afterwards.

Presumably we'd also have Cook, Hoggard & Harmison back and players like Bell and Panesar seem better suited to the longer game too.
For all the difference that'll make...?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A 5 Test series would end 2-1 (England) if played in the West Indies. Possibly 3-1 or 4-0 in England with England on top again. The West Indies played better Test cricket last year, but still have not learnt how to win Test matches and certainly not a Test series. Every game would go to day 5 though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know you aren't a fan, but I struggle to believe he's not a better test bowler than Plunkett, Tremlett, Lewis or Mahmood.
Lewis?

We'll only know if he actually plays.

OK, he bowled crap in his only Test so far.

Not to mention that Anderson is well on-track to be available this summer (hopefully, at least - we wait with baited breath on this latest injury).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A 5 Test series would end 2-1 (England) if played in the West Indies. Possibly 3-1 or 4-0 in England with England on top again. The West Indies played better Test cricket last year, but still have not learnt how to win Test matches and certainly not a Test series. Every game would go to day 5 though.
Do you foresee West Indies playing 5-Test home series again?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Really? I wouldn't say that as confidently.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Really? I wouldn't say that as confidently.
Only 3 of the last 10 West Indies Tests have failed to reach the 5th day. 2 of them were lost and 1 saw day four and five rained out. I'm pretty confident in the West Indies' ability to take the game to the 5th day of late.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
3/10 means 30% (less than 5 tests series' I would imagine). That is against weaker or as good opposition as England. I wouldn't be so sure of taking all 5 games against one of the stronger teams, England, to all 5 days.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Has it been a choice of touring sides, then?

I thought the 5-Test series was simply out-of-vogue at the current time... with everyone except England.
The tendency has been to host two teams in the season - one full series and one shorter series. It's also typically been a headlining team for the full series (Australia, England, India, South Africa) and a less supported team for the second series. I don't think the touring teams have a choice in the matter, but I'm certain that the West Indies will, in general, start playing shorter series due to being one of the poorer sides in world cricket. No longer is a 5-Test series with the West Indies an attractive showcase.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In a 3 match series, West Indies would win 2-0 in England and 3-0 at home.
Since June 2003 WI have won 1 test that hasnt been against the minnows.

Yes 1, yet you think they would walk all over the 2nd best team in the world. Funny :D