• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would have thought? Mitchell Johnson has the 3rd best average in Test history

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
ITS TRUE!!

Mitchell Johnson, with 99 runs @ 99.00, ranks 3rd behind Andy Ganteaume, 112 @ 112.00 and Sir Donald Bradman, 6996 @ 99.94

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ITS TRUE!!

Mitchell Johnson, with 99 runs @ 99.00, ranks 3rd behind Andy Ganteaume, 112 @ 112.00 and Sir Donald Bradman, 6996 @ 99.94
And according to a lot of good judges, he's apparenty only going to get better.....

Burgey

I'd open with him next time Hayden's out. Keeps the leftie thing going, and tbh he wouldn't score less than Rogers did on debut.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He should bat at #11 and have an average of like 200 after 50 Tests with all the not outs. That would be an awesome statistical anomaly.

Burgey

He should bat at #11 and have an average of like 200 after 50 Tests with all the not outs. That would be an awesome statistical anomaly.
Like Hassett did with Johnston in, I think, the 1953 Ashes series? I think he got out once all tour and scored about 125 runs or something. Apparently, as it got closer to tour's end, Hassett was declaring so he didn't get out, just to get him to top the averages.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, that story about Lindsay Hassett and Johnston is just weird. I've always thought Mitchell Johnson had some talent with the bat, and he'll turn out to be slightly better than Lee, but won't bat above him. Similar to Warne/Lee in the last few years.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Like Hassett did with Johnston in, I think, the 1953 Ashes series? I think he got out once all tour and scored about 125 runs or something. Apparently, as it got closer to tour's end, Hassett was declaring so he didn't get out, just to get him to top the averages.
Yep one of my favourite cricketing stories - 102 runs for once out to top the English season averages for 1953.

Johnston's quote at the end of the tour summing up his achievement: "Class will always tell."

Love it.