• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Will Take Hold Of Sachin's Crown

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
SACHIN IS GETTING OLD AND HAS BY MY VIEW SOME 5-6 YEARS OF CRICKET IN HIM,WHO DOTHINK WILL REPLACE HIM IN-
1.INDIA
1.INTERNATINAL
MY VIEWS ARE VIRENDER SEHWAG AND HERCHEL GIBBS:ninja:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shivankit said:
SACHIN IS GETTING OLD AND HAS BY MY VIEW SOME 5-6 YEARS OF CRICKET IN HIM,WHO DOTHINK WILL REPLACE HIM IN-
1.INDIA
1.INTERNATINAL
MY VIEWS ARE VIRENDER SEHWAG AND HERCHEL GIBBS:ninja:
I cannot see Sehwag ever attaining the levels of consistency which Tendulkar has achieved. He seems to be a little too aggressive at times. The other possible candidate from the current side is Dravid, but the difference in class is something that makes me think that the 'next' Sachin might not even have been born yet.

As far as world class players are concerned from other countries, Herschelle Gibbs doesn't make my top 5 (yet).

Oh, can you lose the 'caps lock' in your posts, please? It's considered to be shouting (and cricket supporters like a good sleep on sunny days like today).

Bazza

International 12th Man
Jamie Troughton? Oh wait that's a bit too much pressure for someone who hasn't made their debut yet.

How about Rob Key?

Anthony McGrath?

er.... Darren Maddy??

OK I'll stop now...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Re: Re: Who Will Take Hold Of Sachin's Crown

luckyeddie said:
I cannot see Sehwag ever attaining the levels of consistency which Tendulkar has achieved. He seems to be a little too aggressive at times. The other possible candidate from the current side is Dravid, but the difference in class is something that makes me think that the 'next' Sachin might not even have been born yet.

As far as world class players are concerned from other countries, Herschelle Gibbs doesn't make my top 5 (yet).

Oh, can you lose the 'caps lock' in your posts, please? It's considered to be shouting (and cricket supporters like a good sleep on sunny days like today).
Dravid is of the same age too. I could have said Ponting or Vaughan but they are around 28 and will only play 2-3 yrs more after sachin retires . So i can't see anyone right now. Maybe Clarke or Sarwan will take over after Sachin retires

Langeveldt

Soutie
1.Mohammad Kaif (Although im not sure how old he is though, maybe he isnt young enough for this!)

2.Jacques Rudolph, just you watch....

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would say Ponting but then he will only play a few more years after Sacin retires.

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
Hey Langeveldt(sorry if the spellings are incorect).I belive your choice of Rudolph is the best young option i could have thought,though he lacks experience,but i see that something in his eyes...
:ninja:

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Tony Greig is enthused by Murali's eyes.....

Sarwan does at times look simply as good as any you would see, he has such excellent balance and simple technique that makes batting look so easy, that I feel compelled to suddenly go hold a bat and practice..... sometimes he doesn't look as good but even then he still looks at ease....

Whatever happened to Mahela Jaywerdena, he used to average around 50 in tests, what do you guys think was the reason for he lack of self-belief in the WC2003 ? IMO it was confidence, lack off.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well I think Jayawardene has struggled to get going in one dayers for some time now. He is in a poor side and even when he does get say a 50 it is usually holding a collapse together and hence his SR is poor. Maybe it's just because (in some instances) he has been batting on poor tracks, like the recent triangular where most scores were around 150.

Anyway at 26 he has the ability to develop into a really classy player but a brief look at his record shows an average of 48 from 49 tests which is excellent, but an average of 29 from 147 ODIs, although his SR is a respectable 72. It's hard to say with a few more games if he improves and develops a bit that his average will come up because he's already played loads. He'll have to have a stellar few years to raise that average much but he's certainly classy in tests.

Don't know much about Sarwan, haven't seen alot of him, but a quick glimpse at his profile shows an average of 38 from 32 tests. Decent start to his career and if he starts converting a few more 50s into 100s he'll have a good career. Top ODI player though no doubt about it, average 48 and SR 80. I should point out though he often comes in late and so gets alot of not outs and because he's throwing the bat his SR is higher. Still one could argue that alot of players throw their wicket away and their average suffers, or whatever so definitely a talented individual, and still only 23 (next week).

krkode

State Captain
Jayawardena in a poor side?

I think Sri Lanka have recently had their peak under Jayasurya. The recent win/loss ratio is one of the best.

Bazza

International 12th Man
No they have been quite poor the last year or so, and most of the batsman have struggled to make runs (Atapattu, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, etc).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Shivankit said:
Hey Langeveldt(sorry if the spellings are incorect).I belive your choice of Rudolph is the best young option i could have thought,though he lacks experience,but i see that something in his eyes...
:ninja:

Yeah although its a bit of a longshot, i think he looks so natural at the crease, definitely one to watch...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Atapattu hasn't passed 50 for 9 test innings (v England, South Africa and New Zealand).

Jayawardene himself averages 35 in his last 13 innings.

Sangakkara's done ok although he only scored 105 runs in 6 innings in England.

Sanath again just 99 runs in 5 innings in England, although he found some form against Bangladesh and has since continued that.

Arnold did well in England but only scored 6 runs in 4 innings against South Africa.

The SL batting line up just hasn't fired over the last year or so.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMO the Sri Lankan batting order is not very deep at all in ODI's. Whilst they have quality batsmen, only a select few can actually pick up the momentum efficiently or maintain it. This was especially apparent in the World Cup as Sri Lanka tended to struggle in the late/middle overs and relied way too much on a good start from Jayasuriya and company.

In Tests I believe that they are a better batting team.