• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will end up with the most runs in test cricket? Ponting or Clarke?

Who will get the most test runs?

• Ricky Ponting

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • Michael Clarke

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nope. It was the fact that any ****er under the sun could square him up and get him giving the slips catching practise which made him a poor player..
While I completely agree, a large part of me thinks this post is to try and bait a possibly lurking Dicko

uvelocity

International Coach
ponting will have the more runs, but im gonna back clarke to be the premier world batsman for the next few years and actually be regarded the better player in the end

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
When did Clarke say he wanted to retire early? Not questioning the statement but when he actually said it. Back issues aside, it'd be surprising to him retire early unless the test team had a reversal of fortunes. I can't see him abandoning ship unless forced too.
Around May 2012

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd say Ponting losing his touch was a major contribution to Australia becoming mediocre.
Quite.

It's tricky tbh. Will be Ponting IMO but geez he had a long tailing-off and though he was absolutely merciless at his prime, Clarke at his best is simply not possible to bowl to.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Clarke - 95 Tests, 7,594 runs, 52.73 ave, 24 100s 27 50s
Ponting - 95 Tests, 7,662 runs, 56.75 ave, 25 100s, 29 50s

Ponting's 95th Test was the 1st Test vs the West Indies in 2005. It's an interesting comparison, because it was at this point of his career that Ponting's run scoring became properly ridiculous.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well that's partially true. Ponting had two 'waves' of ridiculous run scoring during his peak; one was from late 2001 to late 2003 (where he scored 13 centuries, including 3 doubles), and the other started around that WI test you mentioned (where he also scored about another 13). It is interesting though, just how close those stats are.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Ponting played on a couple of years too long imo. Had he retired around 2006-2008 his record would be much more impressive. Played on as a diminished player beyond his time (but for the good of the team because he still commanded a place due to the fact there were no young batsmen pushing him out). Could have retired with an average a lot closer to 60 than 50.

On his day, he was as good as any batsman I've ever seen. There were times when he was so dominant looking, Second only to Viv for his ability to dominate excellent pace bowling. Slight weakness against spin but that's been overstated imo,

Clarke is a great batsman. I am a massive fan. He continues to improve also. I'd like to see him play for a couple more years.

In the end I think Ponting will be more remembered as a lynch pin in a truly great side (along with McGrath, Warne, Hayden and Gilly). But in my head there's not much separating them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting should be remember the better player and I think their records will reflect that. Clarke's had a hell of a purple patch and scoring them all whilst slightly crocked and skippering takes massive balls. But in a team full of guns, Ponting was universally considered the gun, that for over 5 years and also with the captaincy. Everyone has their perspective on whether it's harder to score runs in a weak team vs a strong team but, if there is a difference, I don't think it should be considered decisive. Side-by-side, Ponting for me.
Clarke's still going though. And he's only 32?

I mean yeah his back is sore and you'd think he won't play as long as Ponting did, but Tendulkar and some others are proof that your legacy can grow even further if you score runs later in your career (Tendulkar 2007-2010).

Clarke could have less runs than Ponting and still go down the better player. I don't think either will happen, but its possible. A lot just depends on his back.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke's still going though. And he's only 32?

I mean yeah his back is sore and you'd think he won't play as long as Ponting did, but Tendulkar and some others are proof that your legacy can grow even further if you score runs later in your career (Tendulkar 2007-2010).

Clarke could have less runs than Ponting and still go down the better player. I don't think either will happen, but its possible. A lot just depends on his back.
Nah.