• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was an ATG FC cricketer

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd give them a big chance in England because a lot of them spent time in county, didn't they? Less in the SC.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What do people think were the reasons for Harris and Sinclair not stepping up? Sinclair is even weirder when you consider how well he started his career.
Mathew Sinclair played against 21 players during his international career. The other XI, plus the 10 guys playing with him who couldn't hide their contempt for him as a person. He just didn't fit in. He also refused to take advice from Martin Crowe, on the basis that his stuck feet worked for two double centuries and a 150 in SA in his first year in Tests.

Flem274*

123/5
ground size is such a dumb suggestion for the gap between fc and tests lol

in the 90s and early 00s the gap between fc and tests was greater than now, tho both harris and sinclair had some fatal flaws (the short ball for harris iirc, and for sinclair he was an awful starter plus offside dominant).

@ steve - sinclair was always a bit odd but he never came across malevolent or even kp-ish. why the hate?

Last edited:

morgieb

Yeah and I imagine the jump between standard of NZ FC cricket and International cricket would be bigger than a lot of countries
My main point was that the two did a lot better at FC level than others in NZ who fared quite a bit better at Tests.

I'm not sure it was a weak attack bully thing for Sinclair as the attacks he scored his centuries against were pretty good IIRC. Might have been for Harris though. In any case Flem's explanations make sense.

TheJediBrah

My main point was that the two did a lot better at FC level than others in NZ who fared quite a bit better at Tests.

I'm not sure it was a weak attack bully thing for Sinclair as the attacks he scored his centuries against were pretty good IIRC. Might have been for Harris though. In any case Flem's explanations make sense.
The short-ball thing for Harris makes sense (maybe too easily) because he was quite good at ODIs. Often the same criticism that was levelled at Bevan and used an excuse for not giving him more of a go in Tests. Personally I think that's too convenient an excuse in Bevan's case, not sure about Harris

vandem

International 12th Man
For NZ, apart from Chris Harris the standout FC player who stuggled at test level was Bob Blair. 43 wickets @ 35.23 in tests, 487 wickets @ 17.09 in non-test FC games. Was dominant in NZ domestic in late 50s and early 60s.

Stats are probably a reflection of weak domestic FC batting skills and seam-friendly NZ pitches.