• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should be dropped in the English side?

Who should be dropped?

• Michael Vaughan

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Andy Strauss

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Sajid Mahmood

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • James Anderson

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Paul Nixon

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Other

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It should be Strauss, He is the poorest cricketer i had ever seen holding on to the place not doing justice to the selector's faith.

He did not have a single 50 in the 10 innings of the Ashes. Lesser said about his ODI performances the better would be.

He is the most hyped cricketer ever to have played cricket.
Absolute rubbish.

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
I'd actually drop Bell, have Vaughan and Tresco opening, Pietersen at 3, Strauss 4, Bopara 5, Collingwood 6, Flintoff 7, Nixon 8, S Jones 9, Anderson 10, Panesar 11

I'd love to see Hoggard or Harmison come back and take over from Anderson though. Cook and Foster would definitely be knocking on the door, Broad, Bell, Mahmood too. Hell even Key would be in with a shout. (I like Key)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seeing as you're mentioning Harmison and Hoggard, it has to be a Test side you're talking about.

So Bopara is ahead of Bell and Cook why exactly?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure about that, but even if it was undisputably true - Stewart was so in 2003, too, but given that he knew he wasn't going to be around in 2007 he stood down. As I've said several times, I hope Nixon was picked this winter with the footnote that it was only for this World Cup, and that a 2011-looking option would be picked this summer.

tooextracool

International Coach
And Bell, what is he doing in the squad. Never plays a big knock. he is just a pretender. It is a pity that Mal Loye has to sit outside while the perennial pretenders are considered permanent fixtures in the squad.
Bell is in the side based on the potential he has and the fact that almost every single time hes scored a 50 in ODIs its been a classy knock by anyone's standards.Put simply even now, he is our 2nd best batsman in the side, and to drop him would be rather ludicrous when you can think of at least 2-3 other batsmen in the side who should go ahead of him.
Rahul Dravid at the start of his ODI career was rather similar to Ian Bell, who is only 25, and has plenty to offer England cricket in the future.

tooextracool

International Coach
Because he won't be around in 2011.
Theres absolutely no way anyone can say for certain that Nixon won't be around in 2011. England did the exact same thing with Stewart after the 99 world cup before he returned a year after and ended up playing till the 2003 world cup at almost 40 years old. Arguably he was playing better between 37-40 than he was playing at any other point in his ODI career. Nixon is about as fit as Stewart ever was, and while its not exactly bankable that he will pay in 2011 i wouldnt say it was completely OTT either.

tooextracool

International Coach
Panesar's England's best spinner and Plunkett's only 22 and better than Saj and stuff like that.
Being better than Saj is hardly anything of an accomplishment. As i have mentioned before Saj offers England nothing more than a slower ball, which in itself was hardly anything spectacular.

Panesar is definetly not 'England's best spinner'. Not in ODIs anyways where his record is absolutely atrocious and where he has absolutely no variations and is basically cannon fodder. Even Ashley Giles is a superior option.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being better than Saj is hardly anything of an accomplishment. As i have mentioned before Saj offers England nothing more than a slower ball, which in itself was hardly anything spectacular.
Maybe but still...

Actually you're right. Add Plunkett onto the list.

Panesar is definetly not 'England's best spinner'. Not in ODIs anyways where his record is absolutely atrocious and where he has absolutely no variations and is basically cannon fodder. Even Ashley Giles is a superior option.
I hate you. As if Giles is better than Panesar.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH there could be less threads. Mind, if a non-English poster starts a thread about England-related stuff, English posters are going to reply, kinda inevitable.
You're right, I'm not English. But neither is Perm.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Bell is in the side based on the potential he has and the fact that almost every single time hes scored a 50 in ODIs its been a classy knock by anyone's standards.Put simply even now, he is our 2nd best batsman in the side, and to drop him would be rather ludicrous when you can think of at least 2-3 other batsmen in the side who should go ahead of him.
Rahul Dravid at the start of his ODI career was rather similar to Ian Bell, who is only 25, and has plenty to offer England cricket in the future.
I agree he has potential. But we know what just potential that does not give results could lead to. classic examples being Hick and Ramps. I just cannot believe how one could defy the law of averages over 5 tests. Not a single big score!!!!

For me, he has had his time, i would like England to invest time in some other promising player as a neutral observer.