• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your favourite cricketer?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Everyone goes though a bad patch, McGrath,Pollock , Waqar , all had their share of bad patch.Ajit is in the team now purely on merit!
There's bad patches, and there's bad 3 year spells!

Oh, and he isn't in the team at the moment!

muralilal

Banned
Originally posted by marc71178
Everyone goes though a bad patch, McGrath,Pollock , Waqar , all had their share of bad patch.Ajit is in the team now purely on merit!
There's bad patches, and there's bad 3 year spells!

Oh, and he isn't in the team at the moment!
LOL, he's in the SQUAD of 15 !!
3 yrs bad patch??? u gotta be nuts, he only had a bad patch for couple of seasons.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, it is a 3 year bad patch - 1999 to 2001 he played 51 games, taking 66 wickets at 34.62.

In 1998 he took 58 wickets at 23.75 in 30 matches.

I put it to you that had his career started in 1999, there is no way he'd have still been playing by the end of 2001.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Gotta hand it to you: "If Only Marc"!!

:lol::lol::lol:

That's amazing! If only Agarkar hadn't played pre '99 he'd have totally sucked :lol:
Too bad they don't really 'write history' huh? :D
If only you could....

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
I favourite players would have to be Gillespie and Sachin for pure excitement. Also McGrath is just inspirational with his always-reliable performances.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So sorry, what is wrong with my post - I pointed out that he had a terrible run of form, and was in the side only because of past glories.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
It's just that none of your posts seem to reflect reality, unless it happens to be tailored to fit in your 'happy zone'.
As it turned out, Agarkar did get to the fastest fifty wickets.
When people come up with stats about the 'last four innings' and last two years five months etc. the immediate question is why not the last five innings or the last four years. Then you find that the reason is that if they considered the full period in question their pet theories don't work nearly as well.

I was just commenting on your tendency to talk about hypothetical situations all the time. Hence the humour topic :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I put it to you that had his career started in 1999, there is no way he'd have still been playing by the end of 2001.
I am not a fan of Agarkar by any means as most of you know, but that is a ridiculous statement to say the least. The point is in his initial set of matches, he was highly successful and then his strike rate started going down. How can you discount the possibility that he would have started with a good success rate whichever year he starts his career? Or is there something about 1999 that is different from 1998 that would prevent that? Maybe, you have prepared his horoscope or something and know for sure that 1999 would have been a bad year for him to start his career. You sure sound like it anyway.

muralilal

Banned
No, it is a 3 year bad patch - 1999 to 2001 he played 51 games, taking 66 wickets at 34.62.

In 1998 he took 58 wickets at 23.75 in 30 matches.

Well to tell u the truth i never realised that he actually fared that badly for such a long period.However Ajit has been performing decently since past one yr.I don't think much of his batting ability but i think he can be usefull to India in onedayers as a bowler!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Agreed, he has begun to turn the corner, and then ironically he's been left out of the side - it's a funny old game!

I could see a case for him at number 8 or 9 in the World Cup, but definitely no higher.

muralilal

Banned
Agreed, he has begun to turn the corner, and then ironically he's been left out of the side - it's a funny old game!

I could see a case for him at number 8 or 9 in the World Cup, but definitely no higher.
He's not out of the Squad, u have to understand that India are going in the match with only two pacers, and till now Nehra had been doing well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I know he's in the squad - that's twice people have said that to me - but he's definitely not considered an automatic starter in this current Tournament. Come the World Cup though, he may be a key player if they decide for 3 seamers and the 2 spinners.

masterblaster

International Captain
You people seem to forget that Ajit Agarkar is only 23 years old! He broke onto the scene at 19-20 years of age and got to the fastest 50 wickets. As Marc said he only "sucked" in 1999-2001 as he was battling career threatning injuries, which really affected his fitness and desire to succeed. The stats say everything, Agarkar is one of the most useful ODI bowlers India has ever had, his Test match figures arent so great, but Agarkar overall is a good player, a decent player and his bowling in the NatWest Trophy in England was good, he got his first wicket with his very first ball in 2 games. His bowling at the death along with Zaheer Khan was very good, as he has a good yorker.

Give him a fair go ladies and gentleman, he has John Wright's and Sourav Ganguly's confidence and that's what matters.

muralilal

Banned
I know he's in the squad - that's twice people have said that to me - but he's definitely not considered an automatic starter in this current Tournament.
Thats hardly a news for us!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How do you mean, I was just pointing out when he was in poor form he was always in, now his form's improving, and he's out of the team. Thought it quite ironic.

muralilal

Banned
How do you mean, I was just pointing out when he was in poor form he was always in, now his form's improving, and he's out of the team. Thought it quite ironic.
Now thats the stupidity of team management, Ajit has been dropped(from onedayer) coz of his POOR performance in test matches.If u ask me, Ajit shouldn't have been played in Test matches atall, especially when a player isn't performing well , its better not only for the team but also for the player to be dropped.Ajit played all test (when he shouldn't have been playing) and now isn't in onedayers (in which he can be usefull)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Yes, but when a player starts looking like he'll never going to perform, he should get the sack. Thats whats happening