• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best limited over spinner of all time

Best limited over spinner/slow bowler of all time

• Rashid Khan

• Shane Warne

• Muralidharan

• Saqlain Mushtaq

• Sachin Tendulkar

• Any Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm glad that there's no talk of Sunil Narine in this thread because he chucks it like crazy...and teams still pick him in their league/s.
We in grade cricket some times look at the elbow of the bowler and it gives away the type of delivery.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So eyes never on the ball?

Oh wait, I forget that you mentioned that it was grade cricket...
When that elbow gives the hint you can quickly look at the ball. You now it is going to turn the other way, even it gets slightest bit of air you could get it on full and score, or if short can cut or pull. A very good length change ball in grade cricket is likely to bamboozle you even if you know which way it is going.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Mystery bowlers peak much higher than orthodox spinners. Saqlain and Mendis are examples. And bigger the mystery, faster they wear off. Bowlers who had not much of mystery like Murali, Kumble and Warne hardly worn off, rapidly like Mendis or less rapidly like Saqlain.

Saqlain was a very good bowler, infact I rate him as #2 ODI spinner. However that comes with both his intensity of performance and longevity.
Absolutely nothing unusual or special about Murali's run of the mill bowling action.

subshakerz

International Coach
Saqlain - statistically the best

Murali - wicket-taking longevity

Warne - Best WC performer

You can vote for any of the above and I don't think any of them is a wrong answer.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant

You can vote for any of the above and I don't think any of them is a wrong answer.
Who is the best spinner ?
Warne is the best WC performer.
Right answer...Question is wrong though

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Wrong. Warne had a good final and a meh one. So did Murali. Important difference is that murali never took performance enhancers or masking agents of it, and unceramoniously sent home from a WC.

subshakerz

International Coach
Wrong. Warne had a good final and a meh one. So did Murali. Important difference is that murali never took performance enhancers or masking agents of it, and unceramoniously sent home from a WC.
Murali took a grand total of 1 wicket in three WC finals he appeared in and 8 wickets overall in seven WC semis and finals.

Warne was Man of the Match in two WC semis and a final, taking 12 wickets overall in those games, and failed in one final.

Not even close.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali took a grand total of 1 wicket in three WC finals he appeared in and 8 wickets overall in seven WC semis and finals.

Warne was Man of the Match in two WC semis and a final, taking 12 wickets overall in those games, and failed in one final.

Not even close.
This analysis of measuring players solely from wc finals is quite agenda based, simplistic and stupid.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I am a huge fan of Warne and rate him higher than Murali but it is not because of just wc final performances.

Gob

International Coach
It was what happened to Saqlain albeit little slowly. Once SC batsmen figured out doosra, his effectiveness dwindled. It was Kumar Dharmasena who figured it out first. Saqlain anyway was extremely accurate. A knee injury and a nack injury ended Saqlains and Mendis' careers respectively.
That's surprising. Bloke is as blind as a bat

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still potentially useful information to have. If Kumar Dharmasena "figured something out" you could usually assume the opposite is correct and go with that

subshakerz

International Coach
This analysis of measuring players solely from wc finals is quite agenda based, simplistic and stupid.
I never said WC performances are a sole criteria. Otherwise Brad Hogg would be ahead of Murali.

But when comparing ODI cricketers who are close it is a useful measure to differentiate.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Not even close.
Yeah yeah, I saw that a mile away. Warne's oppositins were Pakistan, South Africa and West indies, sitting ducks against spin. Only time he came across a team who can really play spin he was tonked around. Murali's were three against Australia and two against India. When he came across similar oppositions like Warne faced against NZ, he took 6 wickets in two matches alone.

The other time Aussies faced a team who played spin well in 2003, Warne was kicked out of the team, otherwise it would have been a carnage.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah yeah, I saw that a mile away. Warne's oppositins were Pakistan, South Africa and West indies, sitting ducks against spin. Only time he came across a team who can really play spin he was tonked around. Murali's were three against Australia and two against India. When he came across similar oppositions like Warne faced against NZ, he took 6 wickets in two matches alone.

The other time Aussies faced a team who played spin well in 2003, Warne was kicked out of the team, otherwise it would have been a carnage.
You make it seem like Warne was playing against minnows. They were some of the most high pressure ODI games of all time. Its not like Murali was massacring Pakistan, WI and SA in every WC game. At least give him some credit.

Murali by your count was basically helpless against Australia and India, 2 wickets in 5 games.