• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is England's greatest cricketer?

Who is England's greatest cricketer?

• WG Grace

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Sydney Barnes

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Jack Hobbs

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Wally Hammond

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Len Hutton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fred Trueman

• Jim Laker

• Alan Knott

• Ian Botham

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Jimmy Anderson

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Ben Stokes

• AN Other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sadly before the proper fanboying started. Would be apt if he was voted England's best ever player. Edit: Have changed vote

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thanks @Burgey for alerting me to the Change Vote button. I have now voted for Anderson and hope others will join me.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Grace for me, followed by
Hobbs,
Hammond, The David Foot book about him is excellent, Hammond seemed like a real prick.
Rhodes, started his career at No 11, ended up opening the batting with Hobbs. Test debut 1899, last match in 1930.
Barnes, got some easy wickets against South Africa, 49 in 4 Tests in 1913/14, missed the last test because of a financial disagreement, but an amazing bowler.
Sutcliffe, gets overlooked, but averaged 60 from 54 Tests, and partnered Hobbs.

Current players are to difficult to determine with the amount of cricket they play now days.

Best England players since the second world war,
Compton
Trueman

Anderson, Broad, Stokes & Root, when they retire, may well figure among the greatest.

trundler

Compton being the biggest superstar English cricket has had since the War is largely forgotten today. Was instrumental in restoring the popularity of cricket in a war torn country. Also has the best century ratio among all those who've scored 100 FC centuries.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Compton being the biggest superstar English cricket has had since the War is largely forgotten today. Was instrumental in restoring the popularity of cricket in a war torn country. Also has the best century ratio among all those who've scored 100 FC centuries.
What do you mean by century ratio? Innings per century? If so, among English players, Hobbs, Hammond, Hutton, Boycott, Hick and Ramprakash are all better, and the Australian birthday boy is more than twice as good.

Last edited:

trundler

What do you mean by century ratio? Innings per century? If so, among English players, Hobbs, Hammond, Hutton, Boycott and Hick are all better, and the Australian birthday boy is more than twice as good.
[/QUOTE

I meant in first class cricket. 100s per match. The stat I was trying to recall is actually this: Compton took the fewest innings among English batsman to score 100 FC centuries. This has since been bettered by Hick it turns out.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
So, someone brought up Jimmy, so by using the normal definition of greatest (which incorporates best), could Jimmy arguably be the greatest English bowler?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
He did have a very forgettable second half of his career, which may have contributed.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I find Jimmy Anderson having more votes than Fred Trueman ****ing irksome, but then again I don't really care that much.

Burgey

I find Jimmy Anderson having more votes than Fred Trueman ****ing irksome, but then again I don't really care that much.
There would be nothing better than the bloke whose own most strident fans say is very good but not an ATG being voted England's greatest ever cricketer. It would be the ultimate concession of them as a completely mediocre cricketing nation.

Reactions: Red

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There would be nothing better than the bloke whose own most strident fans say is very good but not an ATG being voted England's greatest ever cricketer. It would be the ultimate concession of them as a completely mediocre cricketing nation.
Have a day off mate ffs