• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is England's greatest cricketer?

Who is England's greatest cricketer?

• WG Grace

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Sydney Barnes

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Jack Hobbs

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Wally Hammond

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Len Hutton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fred Trueman

• Jim Laker

• Alan Knott

• Ian Botham

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Jimmy Anderson

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Ben Stokes

• AN Other

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The majority of cricket fans would agree on the greatest cricketer from most test nations (Bradman - Aus, Sachin - India, Kallis - SA, Imran - Pakistan, Hadlee - NZ, Murali - SL, Sobers - WI, Shakib - Bang, Flower - Zim... etc) but who is England's greatest?

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Beefy for my money but let's not forget the paths that Hutton, Hobbs and Hammond trod in a previous era, in a previous time.

Dunno if Stokes should be on there just yet.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think Hutton was the greatest opener ever, but I also think Hobbs was the greater cricketer.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Voted Grace. Transcendent in accomplishment and legacy.

I think 2nd greatest is trickier, not sure who I'd pick for that.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The majority of cricket fans would agree on the greatest cricketer from most test nations (Bradman - Aus, Sachin - India, Kallis - SA, Imran - Pakistan, Hadlee - NZ, Murali - SL, Sobers - WI, Shakib - Bang, Flower - Zim... etc) but who is England's greatest?
Sachin being the greatest Indian cricketer is not written in stone. Gavaskar and Kapil right up there as well.

On topic, I would go with Hobbs. The master indeed.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I suppose Hobbs is the popular choice but personally I feel Wally Hammond is the best, given the little we can actually judge them by.
Yep, Hammond was immense too. His average was over 61 before WWII. If he hadn't come back after the war when he was 43, it would have been the second best average of all time(for players with any decent sample size), above the likes of Pollock and Headley.

One remarkable aspect about Hobbs's batting was that he was averaging well over 50 after turning 40.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
grace

the delta between him and his contemporaries was bradmanesque

there were some pretty good numbers run on it in a thread on this forum. hopefully someone else remembers the exact thread.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sachin being the greatest Indian cricketer is not written in stone. Gavaskar and Kapil right up there as well.

On topic, I would go with Hobbs. The master indeed.
Same can be said about
Imran vs Akram, Kallis vs Steyn vs Donald vs Procter Vs G.Pollock vs S.Pollock and Murali vs Sanga

On Topic
Voted for W.G
Greatest Test cricketer - Sydney Barnes

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Yep, Hammond was immense too. His average was over 61 before WWII. If he hadn't come back after the war when he was 43, it would have been the second best average of all time(for players with any decent sample size), above the likes of Pollock and Headley.

One remarkable aspect about Hobbs's batting was that he was averaging well over 50 after turning 40.
+ bowling