• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better young all-rounder Watson or Bravo

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This should be an interesting debate, for me its defiantely Watson, i'v seen them both & Watson seems to be better in both aspects. Bravo has Watson is a batting all/rounder but it has been his bowling that has stood out in International cricket thus far, but certainly can improve on both his batting & bowling.

Views...

Blaze

Banned
I don't think that either are particuarly flash at this stage, although both could become good players.

Bravo is the better at the moment IMO because he plays test cricket and has that experience unlike Watson who has only played 1 test.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bravo with the ball right now (I think Watson has quite a bit of improvement in him) and on performance, with the bat too. Both are still so young and full of promise.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
At this stage, Bravo - already had some success in Test cricket. Watson has a way to go, firstly actually playing some Tests.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Bravo looks half decent at least.
yeah after his sensational match here at old trafford i thought he was going to be real young star, but has so many good young player last year he has been brought down to earth. Pup & Pathan come to mind 8-)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bravo. At the moment, I don't think its much of a contest. Talking about potential, I'd be tempted to still take Bravo. He has the potential to be a real matchwinner, a guy who's capable of producing something special to win a match with either bat or ball.

DJellett

International Debutant
aussie said:
yeah after his sensational match here at old trafford i thought he was going to be real young star, but has so many good young player last year he has been brought down to earth. Pup & Pathan come to mind 8-)
Pup - cannot play against genuine pace. Will (read: should) be dropped before end of Ashes.
Pathan - Brilliant player. Evokes memories of Wasim Akram.
Watson - Overrated. Average at best, doubt he will make an impact in world cricket.
Bravo - a solid player. Can produce magic on his day in a way that Watson can only dream of.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
yeah after his sensational match here at old trafford i thought he was going to be real young star, but has so many good young player last year he has been brought down to earth.
He only started playing last year, and to my mind made a good impression coming into a struggling side.

It's funny how you say it's his bowling that's stood out though, especially when Liam has said he doesn't rate his bowling enough to be playing as the 4th bowler of 4.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
DJellett said:
Except Akram was able to take wickets without conceding many runs, rather than conceding runs without taking many wickets.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Except Akram was able to take wickets without conceding many runs, rather than conceding runs without taking many wickets.
That's a bit harsh - his form of late is definitely poor but the period after his debut against Australia was brilliant and certainly hinted at him becoming a star, I'm sure you wouldn't disagree.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
Bravo. At the moment, I don't think its much of a contest. Talking about potential, I'd be tempted to still take Bravo. He has the potential to be a real matchwinner, a guy who's capable of producing something special to win a match with either bat or ball.
I tend to agree that Bravo's ability is superb but Watson has had extremely limited opportunities, especially in the test arena - give the Australian allrounder a few more tests and I'd probably say a safer decision could be reached following that.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Watson is by far the better bastman, and Bravo the better bowler.

Very close overall, but perhaps Watson just. Both rather unproven, especially Watson.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
well thats ur view mate, but i still believe Watson based on FC stats and whati have seen of them both also has the ability to be a real match winner for Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
He only started playing last year, and to my mind made a good impression coming into a struggling side.

It's funny how you say it's his bowling that's stood out though, especially when Liam has said he doesn't rate his bowling enough to be playing as the 4th bowler of 4.
well what liam said is true but that doesn't mean his bowling has stood out, which it has thus far in his career, but he is known from junior days to be more of a batting/all-rounder.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Thats the thing we can only rate him on FC Stats and a handful of ODIs, compared to someone who has played a decent amount of Tests and ODIs

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
DJellett said:
Pup - cannot play against genuine pace. Will (read: should) be dropped before end of Ashes.
Watson - Overrated. Average at best, doubt he will make an impact in world cricket.
Bravo - a solid player. Can produce magic on his day in a way that Watson can only dream of.
1.well yes Pup looks very ordinary at this stage of his career againts genuine pace, but i'll back him to improve on that in the future.

2.Pathan just evokes memories of Akram but is nothing like him.

3.For heavens sake Watson is not overrated, f**k i dont know why ppl keep saying that, plus it ur view that he wont make an impact on the game but i seriosuly think otherwise.

4. Gee i wonder what Bravo has done that has made such a solid player :sleep:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Somerset said:
That's a bit harsh - his form of late is definitely poor but the period after his debut against Australia was brilliant and certainly hinted at him becoming a star, I'm sure you wouldn't disagree.
So how come his average in Tests is over 40 when you take out the 2 gimme games?