• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better young all-rounder Watson or Bravo

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It is at the moment (and probably will be in the future) very difficult to compare the two, due to the differing opportunities they get with the different states of the national teams.

I think seeing Watson in the IPL he is a lot more confident when he has a more central role in the team, and this is something he isn't going to get for Australia for a while if at all the way things are at the moment.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Watson better batter... Bravo slightly better bowler. AS an all rounder, I would pick Bravo, but just as players, I would rather have Watson, IF he can translate all the potential he has shown consistently in the test arena.

As of now, I would pick Bravo.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Hmmm, Watson is the certainly the more complete player but he's older too. He also is yet to translate his amazing first class record into the test arena. His appalling injury record doesn't help him and may well leave his career unfulfilled. Bravo has an incredible amount of flair and seems to have a knack of getting big wickets, he also plays well under pressure, brilliant fielder too. Yet to be seen really, I reckon Bravo has more natural talent but Watson is a more methodical thinking batsmen (incredible power too), and a workmanlike bowler.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bravo so far. Watson looks to have more potential and may get a chance to deliver on it soon.

Watto comfortably in LOs

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Bravo so far. Watson looks to have more potential and may get a chance to deliver on it soon.

Watto comfortably in LOs
Agreed, but Bravo comfortably in 20/20's (he is arguably the best there is in that format).

Agreed, but Bravo comfortably in 20/20's (he is arguably the best there is in that format).
If Bravo is arguably the best then Watson could arguably be the second best.

Bravo batting 20/20
841runs average28.03 S/R127.23

Watson batting 20/20
831runs average34.62 S/R145.02

Bravo bowling 20/20
50wickets average 22.20 econ8.23

Watson bowling 20/20
30wickets average21.60 econ7.14

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't agree at al with Bravo being better than Watson at T20s. Watto in ODIs and T20s, Bravo in tests. At the moment.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watto is clearly the better limited over player in both formats imo, but as has been said, has a bit of ground to make up in the baggy green. Expect him to do so in the next 12-24 months though

Woodster

International Captain
These are two players that still have a great deal to prove. They have both displayed flashes of their potential, but when asked to do it on a consistent basis, they have both fallen down. Admittedly injuries have played their part, especially in Watson's case, and the next 12 months may be key to his career. There are claims for him to drop down from opening, so he needs to prove his worth with the ball and in the middle order.

Bravo can be a brainless batsman and a clever bowler. A first-class batting average of 31.04 indicates his willingness to gift his wicket away, exemplified by making only 7 centuries in 164 innings. He has showed he has the strokes but too often he is dismissed without cashing in when set. His bowling is decent, and I expect his Test average of 39.57 to drop, if not considerably, then certainly towards the low-mid 30's. He bowls with variety, thinks about how he is going to dismiss a batsman and can work to a plan. His batting, as I have said in other threads, is best suited to number 7 in the order, for now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Remember how Bravo started his Test career? His batting was so much better than it is now....
He wasn't actually - he started like a man posessed with the ball but his batting was roundly disappointing early on and many (myself included) were suggesting he should bat behind Ridley Jacobs and play as a bowler who could bat a bit. After six Tests he was averaging 24 with the bat and 32 with the ball.

He found some form and confidence after that, knocking up notably impressive hundreds against South Africa and Australia, but it wasn't really the very start of his career when he did this; he took a while to settle in. He's slowly but surely declined since then despite always looking like one of the most technically proficient batsmen in the team - the only good batting series for him since that tour of Australia in 2005 was the nightmare tour of England in 2007 where he looked awesome, but it was another false dawn and even then he only managed a HS of 56 and averaged 40 odd.

I've had a lot more time for his batting than his bowling for a while now TBH, but I may need to re-evaluate that because he just doesn't score enough runs for someone who looks so good at the crease.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Okay, I stand corrected....
:)
Bravo's last 15 innings has produced an average of 28.7, so he clearly hasn't shown greater patience with more experience in the middle.