• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has been the Star of the world cup

chris.hinton

International Captain
Who has come from Nowhere and become a star in the world cup

I think that Leg spinner of Kenya Charles Obiya is the best, Also Andy Bichel

krkode

State Captain
Yeah, I think people like Styris, Symonds, Bichel, Davison, Nehra, Anderson and Obuya really made their presence felt this world cup.

Thumbs up to them! :)

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
Who has come from Nowhere and become a star in the world cup

I think that Leg spinner of Kenya Charles Obiya is the best, Also Andy Bichel
You mean Collins Obuya? ;)

Andy Bichel's hardly come from nowhere, has he? I'd say it's between Obuya and John Davison.

So tempting to say Henry Olonga.. but I won't. Oops.

Lloyd

Caistor Town Cricket Club Moderator
Davison? Not so sure about that. His innings against the Windies was good, and he played a decent innings against someone else (can't remember who), but he wasn't really up to a great deal more apart from that. And correct me if i'm wrong, but he has been playing in Australia for a while hasn't he? Surely he hasn't exactly come from nowhere..

I'd agree with Obuya though. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Kenyan who came good at the end with the bat was Steve Tikolo - he had a real sorry start to the WC, his last two knocks were real class.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the approach of the Kenyans to the game - we know they've no real top notch stars (yet) but they stuck to a game plan and were able to compete well against more illustrious opponents.

I look forward to their progression into the upper echelons of the international game in forthcoming years

V Reddy

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Messrs Duckworth and Lewis, for all the wrong reasons
How can you criticize D/L . Its the best around. You can't criticize it b'coz of the problem of Saf. They were clearly given in the middle of the innings of the scenarios but they got it wrong and SRL got it right.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
vishnureddy said:
How can you criticize D/L . Its the best around. You can't criticize it b'coz of the problem of Saf. They were clearly given in the middle of the innings of the scenarios but they got it wrong and SRL got it right.
Easy - sour grapes

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The funny thing about all the D/L moaning is that it's only been called into use on a handful of times, and on each time it's probably summed up the match position correctly!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lloyd said:
Davison? Not so sure about that. His innings against the Windies was good, and he played a decent innings against someone else (can't remember who), but he wasn't really up to a great deal more apart from that. And correct me if i'm wrong, but he has been playing in Australia for a while hasn't he? Surely he hasn't exactly come from nowhere..
It was the fastest ever WC hundred, and to add to his batting (the other knock was vs NZ) he also took 10 wickets @ 18.

He's been playing a while in Aus yeah, but he's a bowling all rounder (I think) and internationally was all but unknown.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Yeh exactly, but can you blame me?? 3rd time!!, damn world cups!
Course not. It's unfortunate - South Africa are exceptionally unfortunate. I sympathise with them - seriously.

krkode

State Captain
To me, the situation in 1992 sounds hideous! :O

I didn't know this before, but from 22 off 11 to 22 off 1?? How awefully unfair is that!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You have to look at the bigger picture when discussing that game.

Yes, the rules worked against SA at the end of the game (but they had been agreed before the Tournament)

However, SA got away with seriously slowing the bowling down so that they only bowled 45 overs in the allotted time for 50, but escaped without any punishment!

The way England were going, 300+ was a possibility, and that would've put them out of sight anyway!

Its gottabe Nehra "the Young Akram", and the yorker king Zaheer Khan.Noone was taking them seriouslybefore this world cup but they now have 49 wkts between them in this very tournament!!!!!!!

They are perhaps the best young speedster duo in the cricket world today!

V Reddy

International Debutant
krkode said:
To me, the situation in 1992 sounds hideous! :O

I didn't know this before, but from 22 off 11 to 22 off 1?? How awefully unfair is that!
At that time there was no D/L method

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vandemataram said:
Its gottabe Nehra "the Young Akram", and the yorker king Zaheer Khan.Noone was taking them seriouslybefore this world cup but they now have 49 wkts between them in this very tournament!!!!!!!

And the Australians aren't taking them seriously in this match. A bit of advice, don't build up people and give them over the top names like "the yorker king." :rolleyes: So far Khan (5-0-46-0) and Nehra (7-0-36-0) look nothing close to the best young speed duo in World Cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vandemataram said:

Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rik said:
And the Australians aren't taking them seriously in this match. A bit of advice, don't build up people and give them over the top names like "the yorker king." :rolleyes: So far Khan (5-0-46-0) and Nehra (7-0-36-0) look nothing close to the best young speed duo in World Cricket.
Make that:

Khan 7-0-67-0
Nehra 10-0-57-0

and throw in Srinath 10-0-87-0 (most runs ever conceeded) to boot.

So much for the best bowling attack...Australia are showing which team really has the best bowling attack in the WC.