• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think is favourites now to win World Cup

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yip australia played good today, But a bit disappointed with kallis he didnt look like a attacking batter
He isn't.

You don't have to be to be a good batsman though. He shouldn't really have to live with his bowlers conceding 377 IMO, and if they do, you can hardly blame Kallis for the loss.

ekshi

Cricket Spectator
SA sucked against Australia, so I don't give them a chance. Sri Lanka will beat Aus in the final.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
A lot depends on the pitches that are produced for the semis really for me. If th pitches are flat as road for the semis i say that Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and West Indies have the best chances. Australia would be the favorities out of those sides, but even though they won yesterday/early today i still think teams can chase down total against the pretty easierly. Their bowling still looks like its got major problems. On very flat pitches i don't think Sri Lanka have enough in their lower middle order to score enough runs. Also a lot of their seamers need some support from the pitches, or they are just cannon flodder

If the pitches are a bit more even for batting and bowling, say 250 to 300 pitches i would say Sri Lanka and Australia are the favorities. They look to me to have the best balanced sides. Australia have more depth so they would be the favorities again here.

If the pitches are seamer friendly i would back Australia, South Africa and maybe Sri Lanka. Australia and South Africa have the best two pace attacks to make the most of those type of conditions. Sri Lanka might be able to do something on these pitches with the way their seamers have been bowling, but due to depth in batting in other sides, im not sure if they will be able to roll side like they have done with India and Bangladesh. Also Sri Lanka batting is very prone to collaspe on those types of pitches.

Overall Australia are still the favorites, but depending on the pitches i think a few sides may come into the picture. Sri Lanka and South Africa are the next two in line for me. I think England will rely on some KP magic to have any chance.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
The ball that Kemp got out to wasn't especially low.It's much to do with the non-existance bounce Tait gets when he bowls.When you watch him bowl he is very low down thus not using his full height.

pup11

International Coach
Kemp's dismissal was a Tait special and thats the way he bowls when he pitches it on a length it hurries onto the batsman without bouncing much.

Anyways my pick is Australia by a long way just because when it comes down to big games and big tournaments they are a pretty hard side to beat.

Evermind

International Debutant
More and more it seems Aus are gonna brush every other team aside and take the cup.

I'm really hoping they don't.

Here's to Murali doing 10-2-35-5 in the finals! Maybe if we all WILL it really really hard, it will happen!

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
SA sucked against Australia, so I don't give them a chance. Sri Lanka will beat Aus in the final.
they hardly sucked they were easily on target and just the freakish run out of de villiers and smiths cramps stalled them. if it wasnt for those 2 things it couldv'e been a different story. anyway id rate australia as favourites followed by south africa then probly new zealand and sri lanka next in line followed by west indies and then england.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
South Africa won't win...they are an extremely overhyped side who will flop when crunchtime comes.....

Sri Lanka and the Windies I honestly reckon probably have the best chance of knocking the Aussies off.

Evermind

International Debutant
South Africa won't win...they are an extremely overhyped side who will flop when crunchtime comes.....

Sri Lanka and the Windies I honestly reckon probably have the best chance of knocking the Aussies off.
Yeah, SL, WI or NZ: all of them are the teams that are most likely to knock off Aus. If Bond, McMillan and Oram fire, they could rip through the Aus order and give their bowlers a good beating: NZ seem to have half a team full of power hitters - I think only SA can match them in those terms.

So the best would be to hope SA don't end up in the semi finals with Aus, because that'd mean Aus almost definitely go to the final and most likely beat the other team there.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, SL, WI or NZ: all of them are the teams that are most likely to knock off Aus. If Bond, McMillan and Oram fire, they could rip through the Aus order and give their bowlers a good beating: NZ seem to have half a team full of power hitters - I think only SA can match them in those terms.

So the best would be to hope SA don't end up in the semi finals with Aus, because that'd mean Aus almost definitely go to the final and most likely beat the other team there.
haven't you just contradicted yourself ? If you think SL, WI or NZ have the best chance of knocking over Aus...why would it matter if they play SA in the semi ?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been very impressed with Sri Lanka, they've moved from dark horse to second favourite in my opinion. India looked absolutely clueless against Murali and they've also got two guys hitting 90+ mph. Plus they've got tons of experience there and a few old hands. Australia are obviously still favourites.

pup11

International Coach
I think we would have an Australia v/s Sri Lanka finals, because they have got the best variety in their bowling attacks compared to other teams.

Tait - Malinga
Hogg - Murali
Mcgrath - Maharoof
Bracken - Vass
Symonds - Jayasuriya
Clarke - Dilshan

So you see both these have similarly flexibile bowling line-ups.

Though Sri lankan middle-order batting could let them down.

Evermind

International Debutant
haven't you just contradicted yourself ? If you think SL, WI or NZ have the best chance of knocking over Aus...why would it matter if they play SA in the semi ?
If they played SA in the semi, then they'd definitely win. So they'd only be challenged at the final. Whereas if any of the other 3 teams played them in the semis, there's a better chance of knocking Aus out in the semis and then again at the finals.

pup11

International Coach
Evermind, I was not comparing Hogg to Murali or Maharoof to McGrath, all i was saying there was that they play a similar role for their respective teams.

Evermind

International Debutant
Evermind, I was not comparing Hogg to Murali or Maharoof to McGrath, all i was saying there was that they play a similar role for their respective teams.
I understand - just that the combination seemed very funny to me for some reason.